confused

When first diagnosed as type 2 dibetic 7 years ago my doctor told me that if ever my sugar levels reached 20 I should not bother the doctors but go straight to hospital, since then I have gone through quadruple heart by-pass and metformin has been increased to 850mg 3 times a day, checking my levels regular they seemed to stay around 7 to 9. a few months ago my levels went up to 21, so I called the emergency doctor, he advised me to take an extra metformin and monitor it, it eventually came down to 7 within 24hrs. Yesterday not feeling great I testes and readings were 17.3 I monitored it and they increased steadily, even though I took 2 extra metformins, I phoned the emergency out of hours when they reached 20, the nurse suggested I go to hospital, we had a problem with getting there as it is many miles away, so she seferred me to the doctor on call, she said I probably had a virus and shouldn't worry, I left it at that, checked my levels this morning and they started at 12, they have slowly increased to 21 (1 hour ago) should I be as unconcerned as the doctor or take the first doctors advice and go to the hospital?

andybob

Hi there
Without sounding too alarming I think it would be good to have a visit to the hospital - it sounds as though there is some underlying problem causing this very high level. If nothing else they can put your mind at rest and should give you a good check over.

Let us know how it goes.
God Bless
Andy

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Go to the Hospital and make a nuiscance of yourself. Seriously, don't take the risk. What can you lose?

Do you have any Ketostix? Are your ketones high?

thanks andybob but hospital is 20miles away and I daren't drive as I don't feel good, I have an appointment with the practice nurse tomorrow at 9am so will wait till then, with regard to OP reply don't have a clue what ketones are (just took another reading 19.7

peter

Cowboyjim

I too am confused reading this one. And truly I wish you well for a swift resolution.
I wonder if I have misunderstood how metformin works but I never thought you could simply add more pills to affect BG levels, it does not work like that. Have often pondered how one might get the levels down, these bother me more than lowest levels, and I know you can exercise to liven up your insulin and whatever but there is no simple way afaik to get the BG down like you could if you had a hypo and want to bring it up again so you feel better.
On this point it is another thing I ponder as to actual sensations that might be triggered when your BG reaches double figures say. Afaik you cannot feel anything like the light-headedness one might get when they fall below 4, say. All comments welcome.

C

catherinecherub

eastparadeflats said:
When first diagnosed as type 2 dibetic 7 years ago my doctor told me that if ever my sugar levels reached 20 I should not bother the doctors but go straight to hospital, since then I have gone through quadruple heart by-pass and metformin has been increased to 850mg 3 times a day, checking my levels regular they seemed to stay around 7 to 9. a few months ago my levels went up to 21, so I called the emergency doctor, he advised me to take an extra metformin and monitor it, it eventually came down to 7 within 24hrs. Yesterday not feeling great I testes and readings were 17.3 I monitored it and they increased steadily, even though I took 2 extra metformins, I phoned the emergency out of hours when they reached 20, the nurse suggested I go to hospital, we had a problem with getting there as it is many miles away, so she seferred me to the doctor on call, she said I probably had a virus and shouldn't worry, I left it at that, checked my levels this morning and they started at 12, they have slowly increased to 21 (1 hour ago) should I be as unconcerned as the doctor or take the first doctors advice and go to the hospital?

Hi,
the revised advice for Metformin is that it should not exceed 3grams over the course of a day.. You cannot take them like sweets and expect that they will work in dramatically reducing your levels.
I would suggest that you need to attend Aand E if you are unfortunate enough to have this happen again as you will never know why things escalate so quickly.
I know 20 miles is a long way but it is better to be safe and get some advice. Ketones are a possibility and would need urgent attention.
Do you have a neighbour or friend who could take you? If you can afford it, a taxi would be the answer.
I wish I had seen your post yesterday as it's a bit late for advice now. :oops:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. How old are you? It's possible you aren't Type 2 but a Type 1.5 LADA? Quite a few T2s are in fact mis-diagnosed T1.5s. Your HCPs should be doing a C-Peptide test to check your natural insulin levels and possibly a GAD test to check for anti-bodies that would indicate that you are T1.5.