Allulose?

mikmikmikmik

I searched this forum, nothing on the main site search, and found some posts about it which I am currently reading.
What are thoughts in using this and where can I buy it in the UK?
Thanks.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No personal experience of it.
Here's what diet doctor says

I avoid it, or at least keep it to minimum, on the basis anything sweet triggers the desire for more

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
No personal experience of it.
Here's what diet doctor says

I avoid it, or at least keep it to minimum, on the basis anything sweet triggers the desire for more
Me too! I used to use 4-5 drops of Sucralose but since re-starting LCHF 3 months ago and training my brain by having something savoury every time I crave sweet, even a single drop of sweetener friggers that craving, AND causes a significant rise in BG levels.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late reply here - but I just got some. It is not approved for use in the UK (yet), but it is available from iHerb. They are a US based "health food" and supplement company, but ship worldwide (spend £30 and free delivery). Prices include vat.

Allulose sounds amazing. It is naturally occurring, but synthesized in a lab/factory for large commercial quantities. It is _not_ and alcohol sugar. It browns like sugar under heat and 10% the calories of sugar. It has 0 glycemic index, and may even suppress a glycemic response when consumed with other carbohydrates.

I only received it today and had a taste. Tastes like sugar, but not as sweet. They say it is 70% as sweet as sugar.

Sounds too good to be true! Apparently it makes excellent low-gi ice cream. Due to the nature of the product, it acts more like sugar thus preventing ice crystals from forming and making a creamier product. Once this is approved for use in the UK/EU - I think it will take off in a big way in commercial products. It has been approved for use in the US since 2012.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Abstract​

This clinical study was conducted to investigate the safety and effect of D-psicose on postprandial blood glucose levels in adult men and women, including borderline diabetes patients. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover experiment of single ingestion was conducted on 26 subjects who consumed zero or 5 g of D-psicose in tea with a standard meal. The blood glucose levels at fasting and 30, 60, 90, and 120 min after the meal were compared. The blood glucose level was significantly lower 30 and 60 min after the meal with D-psicose (p<0.01, p<0.05), and a significant decrease was also shown in the area under the curve (p<0.01). The results suggest that D-psicose had an effect to suppress the postprandial blood glucose elevation mainly in borderline diabetes cases. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled parallel-group experiment of long-term ingestion was conducted on 17 normal subjects who took 5 g of D-psicose or D-glucose with meals three times a day for 12 continuous weeks. Neither any abnormal effects nor clinical problems caused by the continuous ingestion of D-psicose were found.
This sounds too good to be true. "Sugar" which lowers blood sugar. Apparently it even caramelises when heated.

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Allulose is great in small doses i.e. with tea and coffee in place of other sweeteners - use too much and it can have a laxative effect much like some of the sugar alcohols as I found out to my cost :(.

As a result I tend to stick to Stevia, as that works for me, although I understand that some people don't like the after taste.

By all means use it, but be careful how much you use in one dose.

PS as @aris said the only place I was able to source it from was iHerb

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Allulose is great in small doses i.e. with tea and coffee in place of other sweeteners - use too much and it can have a laxative effect much like some of the sugar alcohols as I found out to my cost :(.

As a result I tend to stick to Stevia, as that works for me, although I understand that some people don't like the after taste.

By all means use it, but be careful how much you use in one dose.

PS as @aris said the only place I was able to source it from was iHerb

Interesting - I thought it wasn't a sugar alcohol and didn't have a laxative effect. I also bought some Swerve which was an allulose/erythritol mix. Did you perhaps get that or did you have pure allulose?

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting - I thought it wasn't a sugar alcohol and didn't have a laxative effect. I also bought some Swerve which was an allulose/erythritol mix. Did you perhaps get that or did you have pure allulose?
Pure allulose - the problem was that I added too much to a pot of Greek Yoghurt (150g) and it resulted in lack of bowel control for about a day ;)

PS you're right it isn't a sugar alcohol - just that having too much acted like I'd overdosed on a polyol

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pure allulose - the problem was that I added too much to a pot of Greek Yoghurt (150g) and it resulted in lack of bowel control for about a day ;)

PS you're right it isn't a sugar alcohol - just that having too much acted like I'd overdosed on a polyol
Ok, hopefully this is a YMMV thing and it won't affect me too bad. I saw a great recipe on YouTube for low-carb ice cream using allulose. Not that i'd want to eat it every day - but for a treat, would fell much less guilty. This uses 50g.

Reactions: Impy