Ears Pierced

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess would like to have her ears pierced as a birthday present this year, all her friends at school have now had their ears done and she is desperate to get hers done now too. I looked at Clare's Accessories website as this is where her friends have had their ears done. There is a consent form that I would need to complete and on it the decleration says I confirm I do not have diabetes (or the child as I'm signing parental consent). My question is, would it be safe and sensible to allow Jess to have her ears pierced? I will speak with her DSN about it too but just want to get opinions here. And judging by this decleration does it mean Clare's would be unwilling to do the piercing, perhaps I can get a letter from her Consultant if he is in agreement that she can go ahead and have it done. Does anyone have any experience of having their ears pierced at Clare's when they or their child has diabetes?

C

chris lowe

Well, I can see it from Claire's point of view. As a diabetic cuts etc do take longer to heal so punching a hole in the ear could lead to infection and they obviously don't want to get sued is something goes wrong. As long as basic hygiene is carried out - i.e swabbing with antiseptic it might be OK. I know that there is a lot of peer pressure these days, but Jess is only 10 and probably doesn't want to feel different from her friends more that she does, so is it possible to persuade her to wait for a bit? Other than that, you can only go on what the DSN says.

jopar

Being diabetic doesn't stop you from having your ears pierced, just means that you've got to be ultra pedantic ensuring checking and clearing etc has they heal to ensure that it doesn't become infected, and any signs that it might be you seek medical advice.

It's probably best to have ears pierced the old fashioned way, with a hoop rather than a stud, as you can easier clean and inspect the wound with hoops than you can will studs..

As to Claire's disclaimer, I suspect this it more to company policy and how they train their staff, but have a look around to see who else offer's ear piercing and would they be happy to carry out the procedure, but do check out their training and council registration etc..

But do ask her DSN about it, as her currant control might be the clincher, if she's regularly runs to high levels, then this could increase the risk of infection, so it maybe that she'd be advise to wait a bit longer until her control is pretty stable so risk of infection can be kept to the mim possible.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can fully understand Clare's viewpoint. My understanding is that healing problems with diabetics are generally associated with poor blood glucose control. Of course everyone is at risk of infection if they don't follow a strict cleanliness routine after piercings, even non-diabetics would be at risk in these circumstances. Jess has very good control and I feel if she's going to have her ears pierced then now is the best time. She'll be 11 in a few weeks, it's best to have them done during the summer holidays and I feel it's better to have it done now whilst she has very good glucose control rather than in a couple of years when hormones may start messing with that good control. She has been asking since last year but I said at the time that perhaps when she finishes at primary school which is in the next few weeks.

Jopar, just seen your reply. I will of course check with her DSN and consultant, her control has been very stable since going on the pump so hopefully they will feel she will be okay having it done.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I agree with Jopar about having sleeper hoops rather than studs until they've healed properly. She can always have studs later. If she has them done at the beginning of the summer hols she should be okay with studs by the time she goes back to school.

I remember turning mine every day, at least 4 times, and swabbing them with TCP every time.

I had mine done many years ago, at a local jeweller, with a very large Alsatian dog looking on and licking his lips hopefully! :lol:

I do hope you get the go-ahead for Jess to get it done, SophieW. Awful being the only one without.

Viv 8)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure where you would get it done with sleeper hooks. Even when I had my ears pierced in 1976 they did it with the stud gun. You still turn the studs and swab with the solution (it was surgical spirit in my day), but can't remember what it was from Claire's when my daughter had hers done 10 years ago (she let hers close over but that's another story).

I would think that there would be more problems with infections and allergies once she wanted to wear fashion earings. Mostly I just keep the ones used for piercing in my ears all the time (they do pretty ones with coloured stones in them and no they are not the same ones since 1976), and just put other earings in for special occasions.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It was a 'gun' for the sleepers. Just fired one end through and closed them up at the back.

I think you're right about the surgical spirit. I seem to remember a strong smell of TCP too :shock: . Hate the stuff :D .

Viv 8)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please make sure that whatever method is used, is a completely disposable unit and the person doing it takes the appropriate measures to reduce the risk of infection.
There are still places that use a multi-use gun that is not sterilised between customers. Pointless using sterile earrings.

There are strict guidelines on something as simple as taking blood (venepuncture) which you can Google. I would expect nothing less during ear piercing where the 'wound' is left to heal open.

wiflib

stevenr798

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have 3 piercings and have had no problems. Mine were done by a proper body piercer and not a high street jeweler with basic training. The gun will do more damage than a needle. If you use warm water with some sea salt in it to bath the wound it will heal quickly. If you practice good after care you will have no problems.

BreaJaii

I am the mom of a type 1 and she had her ears done before she was diagnosed but I just recently allowed her to get her cartilage pierced at Claire's and I didn't see that on the form but the girl who pierced them heard me telling my child that the earrings MUST stay in longer than normally recommended because it takes longer for her to heal. They knew from hearing that and they didn't refuse us. I recommend that you leave them in a lot longer because my teenager of course didn't listen and got infected of course. It was no biggie tho....an antibiotic with an antibiotic cream from the doctor and all is well. Also my daughter reacted to the metal so I had to put in solid gold for about 16 weeks. Even now I told her to put in the gold overnight and sleep with earrings in her for at least a year to allow it to heal properly. Her lower lobes healed beautifully when she was much younger.(what teen ever listens to mom, right?) So there you have it. First hand experience and WITH Claire's too! Good luck and happy birthday to your daughter!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm going to have a chat with our DSN next week and I'll go and take a look at Claire's to see how they practice and ask some questions ie make sure everything is disposable etc. I know our local council have on their website that any business practicing piercing has to register with them and meet certain standards. There is also another tattoo and piercing place in town so I can have a look there too. I have already told Jess that the only earrings she will be allowed to wear will be sterling or gold and none of the cheap fashion ones due to infections. We've also talked about the work involved and expected of her with keeping the holes clean and sterile whilst they are healing and that she will have to keep extra tight control of her bg during the weeks that it takes to heal, she is very good anyway and always tries to manage her diabetes well. I will of course help her and make sure she does what is needed to make sure it heals well.

elainechi

my daughter had her ears pierced at junior school pre diabetes at claires without problems. now diabetic and year 7 just had second holes done at claires. hmmm they gave me the consent form to sign already with no s on the medical tick boxes. i said nothing.yesthey.re taking longer to heal but she didn.t have gold this time so i do recommend gold. her bs are not perfect either but i don.t think that her ears will fall off. they provide info and cleaner for after care too x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's probably going to take more aftercare wih a diabetic ear piercing. I would agree on having sleepers rather than studs as being easier to keep clean.
See if any local jewellers still provide this service. Near me, the most popular place is actually a pharmacy.. a chain like Clare's may have inflexible rules.
I can see that any youngster would like to have pierced ears. My 4 year old grandaughter [thankfully non-diabetic] is asking too.
Hana
Ps I have pierced ears.

BeccaJaneStClair

I'm not a T1, but when I wanted my ears pierced at age 8, my mom was terrified of taking me to Piercing Pagoda like the rest of my friends, so mine were done at my paediatrician's office. I should note though that I grew up in the US, so I have no idea if GPs in the UK do it or not.

jopar

Hana how does a 4 year old get it into their minds they want their ears pierced?

My daughter aren't diabetic, and I know that they didn't start asking until friends started having theirs done, and I made them wait until they were 14 years old!

I can't abide seeing very young children with their ears pierced, more so babies/toddlers as this is a decision that their parent took,

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I was also made by my mum to go to my GP who did them for me and my sisters the 80s (before I was diabetic and when all my friends went to hairdressers to have them done !). Strange to think that used to happen :crazy: I had sleepers put in and had to bathe them religiously in diluted dettol morning and evening.
I would have thought that with enough care over cleaning the holes and a well trained registered piercer it should be fine - I can see why you're been cautious though.

DanniP

I can't see there being any problems. I have had type 1 for 11 years and whilst I got my ears done before I was diagnosed I got my belly button pierced without any problems a few years ago. I did have to sign a form saying that I was diabetic and that I understood that there were more risks, but I didnt have any problems with infections. I think that as long as you follow the guidelines about using antispetic solution regularly and she keps her levels balanced then you can't do anything more and everything should be fine :) .

Also I think you are right about havign them done now when her levels are good than in a few years when she hits her teens, levels tend to go a bit awol for a while then.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Jopar
my granddaugghter goes to nursery school, where many of the little girls, and some of the boys, have pierced ears. Her cousins, all about the same age as she is have them. In addition her Mummy AND Daddy and I [Grandma] all have pierced ears. Essentially only Grandpa doesn't. she wants to be in with the in-crowd.
Hana

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi may I suggest that you take her to a professional piercing studio? I have lived on the south coast Brighton & Hastings now for many years and there are quite a few. They are often attached to tattoo studios and are regularly inspected by health officials unlike town centre shops. They are able to pierce with needles and then insert the required jewellery. I would also look at the jewellery being titanium it is the most hypo-allergenic material none to man and is used in medical instruments. All the best to you both Stu

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably worth talking to the tattoo parlour and see what they would do and recommend. You might find that they'll be more flexible on what jewelry they can supply/use.
I've a pierced ear and a pierced nipple. The ear took a while longer than "normal" to heal but the nipple took a very long time to heal properly. The nurse at my doctor's surgery a few weeks ago told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't think that I should have it and that it was a route for infection to get in and did I really need it - not whether I wanted it but did I need it?
This is also the surgery that told me my potassium level was elevated and I should give up eating a banana with my lunch! My DSN laughed at that one! Anyway, back to the piercing...
Nobody has mentioned surgical steel? For my nipple piercing, that was the material that was recommended and the jewelry that was supplied was surgical steel. I think the piercer said that it was easier to keep clean and that it doesn't tarnish as silver does. I'm not sure what diameters and thicknesses the surgical steel hoops and BCRs (ball closure rings) come in though - I think I've only seen them in about 1mm.