searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
There are not many benefits to being diabetic, but one benefit is that you can get to play with a few gadgets, and if you like gadgets like I do then glucose meters are a good place to start.

If like me you are on insulin, and have to test frequently then most companies will send you a free glucose meter and some test strips.. the hope here is that you will ask your doctor to prescribe their test strips, and this is where these companies make their money!

Whilst browsing around a few forums I started to see pictures of the Mendor Discreet, the pictures look really good showing a meter available in either white or black.. and they look somewhat like an older apple ipod.

So I vistited the Mendor website to take a closer look and the writeup was quite impressive:

Mendor Discreet™ is a revolutionary integrated blood glucose meter. It combines a lancing needle, test strip cassette and a blood glucose meter within a single compact device with no need for a separate carrying case. Mendor Discreet™ is also silent so it can be used discretely anywhere you go.

No more hassle with measurement.

No more carrying cases

No more embarrassing situations when measuring in public places

Total measurement time takes less than 20 seconds.

Blood glucose measurement has never been this easy and discreet.

The downside is they don’t offer free meters, the starter set costs £59 this includes the meter, 25 test strips, lancets, software and usb cable. Not a massive amount of money for something so revolutionary.

I did a bit of browsing to see if I could see reference to the test strips being available on prescription in the UK, as the cost of the strips on the Mendor site is £30 for 50 strips, this is quite expensive.. in the end I emailed Mendor and asked a few questions about the meter and if the strips were available on prescription, the answer is that at the moment they are NOT available on prescription, but Mendor is trying to get the NHS to put them on prescription.

So this made the Mendor a No-go meter for the moment as 50 strips only last me about 10 days.

I got home from work one evening and it was with great joy that I saw a package with the name Mendor on it, I pulled the box open and found a letter, I had won the Mendor Discreet in a competition that Desang had in one of their monthly news letters

I quickly opened the box with the meter in it, and this is where the joy pretty much ended!

The meter is BIG as the sliding acrylic covers take up a lot of space, it is also very fiddly to setup and use, to set the meter up you need to remove the acrylic covers this is done by moving some sping loaded sliders on the back of the meter they are not the easiest of things to operate.

here is a picture of the discreet next to the wavsense jazz and the bayer contour usb

5417776159_ab2ffc49ea.jpg

Once you remove the acrylic covers and have just the meter in your hand it feels poor quality, the plastic is cheap and thin, I have doubts that the lugs that hold the test strip door closed will last for long, and the general finish just isn’t very good.

I opened the test silver foil around the test strip cartridge, and inserted the cartridge in the meter, which was all quite easy.

Then it was time to setup the lancet, and this is where some of the technical problems start, you realise that the meter only holds 1 lancet at a time, so while you don’t have to insert test strips you still have to fiddle putting in a lancet for each test, the lancets are TINY and the holder thet sit in seems quite poor in quality, I don’t see it lasting long, extraction of the TINY lancet is a bit of a fiddle and I don’t have fat fingers and have full use of my hands!

Anyway, clip the meter back together, and time to do a test, slide the acrylic covers open, test strip pops out just below the lancet, people with fatter fingers may struggle using the lancet without the test strip being in the way.. anyway I lancet my finger and squeeze a little drop of blood, this is where you realise the clumsy position of the test strip between the acrylic covers, projecting only a little way from the meter, it feels awkward to use.

A few seconds after applying the blood the results appear on the old style LCD screen that is not backlit, and the results while readable are quite small but adequate.

This is where you notice the next problem, where only a small amount of test strip projects from the meter its difficult to remove it without grabbing hold of the bloody end of it!

The following day I did 2 more tests and all appeared ok, UNTILL I came to do my 4th test.. the strip only came out a little way, so I pulled it out and started again, the next strip came out, but the meter did not recognise it, so pulled that one out and tried again, still the meter does not see the strip, so a £15 cartridge has managed to perform 3 successful tests and that is it!

So in conclusion, im really glad that I did not pay for this meter or I would be quite angry.. its certainly not discreet and I certainly will not use it, and defiantly would not recommend this meter to anyone

It’s a shame, it could have been so good if it lived up to the description on the website

alaska

I have one of these meters and agree that certain parts of it are fiddly and that in terms of size its not as Discrete as the name might imply.

When I need to do a test quickly though, it comes into its own. Out shopping is an example when I tend to go low with walking around and carrying things. This meter is the only one I've had (I've not tried the Accu-Chek Mobile) that allows me to do a test standing up with no surfaces to put things on. Without this meter, I'd either put off the test until a more convenient moment or I'd have find a wall to sit down against.

Visits to pubs and clubs are usually by and large a test free zone because it's so awkward to test but the Discrete meter makes it possible to check, even whilst waiting at the bar. In this regard it's been very helpful for me.

I know what you mean about the test strips. This confused me at one point. I think I pulled one of the covers down or something to get the meter back on track again. I think I wasted one or two strips at the time though

The lancet system means I wouldn't use it as my main meter, but instead as a meter for evenings out, travelling, shopping or other activities when a test needs to be done quickly and without much fuss.

Ed

billr

hi if you find it is not what you want then i will gladly take it of your hands fo a small fee thanks cheers will refund postage as wel

[mod edit daisy1: personal info removed]

Please do not put personal info on the board but use PM. To use PM you will need to have posted 5 times.