Gift for host

markb

I used to take a bottle of wine for the host when invited out to a meal, but since being diagnosed with type 2 this seems inappropriate. I believe wine is high in sugar and anyway alcohol interferes with some diabetic medications. What do others take when invited out, or do they?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
markb said:
I used to take a bottle of wine for the host when invited out to a meal, but since being diagnosed with type 2 this seems inappropriate. I believe wine is high in sugar and anyway alcohol interferes with some diabetic medications. What do others take when invited out, or do they?

Grazer is the expert, but I think that wine is not all that carby and the alcohol acts to reduce the BG spikes.

I don't think that a glass or three of wine will do you any harm (unless any of the medication that you are on expressely forbids it).

viv1969

Who's diagnosed...you or the host?; and why would it suddenly be inappropriate?
Sorry, just not sure I follow.

Grazer

Not innapropriate at all. Not many carbs as most of the sugars are turned into alohol. The stronger the wine, the less carbs. Most normal wines are only about 2 to 3 grams carbs per glass, according to who you read. Even then, the alcohol prevents the liver from processing carbs into blood glucose very efficiently, so you'll get lower BGs after a meal WITH wine than without. Just make sure, as others have said, that there's no other medical reason why you shouldn't drink. And Metformin ISN'T a reason unless you're an alcoholic or have existing liver disease.
Enjoy! (in moderation of COURSE)

markb

Thanks; so it looks like carry on as usual. (I take metformin.)
What had seemed inappropriate was having been diagnosed and having told others then to turn up with something I mistakenly thought was full of sugar!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I understand why you were concerned - take the wine, and if anyone asks, take the opportunity to educate them! You'll soon be boring for England about diabetes - just like many of the rest of us on here! :lol: :wink:

Enjoy! :D

Viv 8)