What would happen

Defren

BioHaZarD said:
Unfortunately your response of "yes a diabetic CAN eat sugar" is saying exactly that as his response was (Thank you!!!! wow ice cream, mince tarts, Christmas pudding , HERE I COME)

As mentioned the OP is newly diagnosed maybe confused type 2, and now thinks he can eat sugar and carbs. It may have been more helpful to explain the variations of diet rather than just yes. As I doubt mince pies ice cream etc is going to do him any good?

I have to agree with this. The OP saw the response as a green light to eat all the things that generally we can't. It's very easy to read what you want to read in a post, and when recently diagnosed it can be very daunting to have to accept the changes we have to make. That could lead to someone reading that a diabetic can have sugar as exactly what someone wants to read rather than the actual reality. Just sayin'.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If someone tells me I can eat meat - I take that to mean I can eat meat.

They are not encouraging me to eat me. Or telling me to eat meat. But they are telling me it is OK for me to eat meat.

And that is what happened here.

But unfortunately, for a type 2 on meds and diet only, like the OP, they mustnt eat sugar if they want to keep their blood sugars safe :( And the response of the OP shows that they understood it to mean it is OK to continue to eat sugar. Which is not accurate in the context of the meaning of the OP's question/statement.

They physically can put it in their mouths, but it will slowly poison them through complications.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
glucosegirl said:
The type 2s here on the other hand seem to have no respect for the type 1s and what we go through everyday

I have every respect for what T1's go through every day being the father of a T1 and seeing the stress it causes him everyday so I don't appreciate the lecture. It was he who told me to totally ignore stuff like you posted for Davide namely:

David I have copied and pasted this from DiabetesUK:
Myth: People with diabetes cannot have sugar
Having diabetes does not mean you have to have a sugar-free diet. People with diabetes should follow a healthy balanced diet – that is low in fat, salt and sugar. You should still be able to enjoy a wide variety of foods, including some with sugar.

It was also my T1 son who told me to adopt a low carb sugar free lifestyle as T2 if I wanted to avoid an early grave. My post back to you was nothing about you being T1 and a lack of respect and everything about the DUK dietary advise that many of us T2's find appalling and down right lethal.

This post is in the Type 2 diabetes threads. If people post dietary questions in the T1 threads then I will not comment on them as I recognise I do not have the experience to advise T1's on diet perhaps you should recognize you may not have the expertise to post advice to diet only T2's or perhaps you think all diabetics are the same? You say you have an hBA1c in the 4's and 5's, so do I and likewise I have good safe cholesterol levels and am of normal weight so perhaps in the context of diet only T2's I know what I'm talking about too.

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I did NOT "advice" the Op to eat sugar at any point. I did not intend for him to interpret my post in the way that he did. I obviously should have phrased it differently. My mistake was assuming that no one with diabetes would be stupid enough to go and eat such sugary junk food.

Squire Fulwood said:
I don't think much would happen. Pretend it was a treat day.

I also notice that none of you have commented on the post that Squire Fulwood left immediately after me (I'm not suggesting that you should comment on it ) but Squire seems to be saying that it would be ok for the OP to eat sugar once in a while.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Guys I just asked a question, Lets not argue :D we all have different views and it's up to the individual to read digest and then make their own mind up...

Love you all :thumbup:

one other thing who is "OP"

Mileana

glucosegirl, I can entirely see how 'can' was meant to mean 'it is possible/you won't fall over at that moment'. However as it was mentioned, the OP misunderstood your use of the word to mean 'it is okay/it doesn't matter'. That is unfortunate and not your fault only. But being a little bit more clear can sometimes be great. But hindsight, yeah...

With regards to people having respect for each other, generally I think we do? If we need to understand each other better, maybe we could do a post somewhere to explore the differences between the diets we deem 'sensible and sustainable' for various types of diabetes and what the up and downsides are? Could actually be interesting if we could do that without having too hot a thread. Just perhaps see what people actually do themselves across the diabetes types - what works for me, sorta thing.

In any event, it is not so good when we start discussing what a word means or blaming each other.

Back to the original topic - can a diabetic eat sugar? Can they? And should they?

OP=Original Poster, you.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
glucosegirl said:
I did NOT "advice" the Op to eat sugar at any point. I did not intend for him to interpret my post in the way that he did. I obviously should have phrased it differently. My mistake was assuming that no one with diabetes would be stupid enough to go and eat such sugary junk food.

Squire Fulwood said:
I don't think much would happen. Pretend it was a treat day.

I also notice that none of you have commented on the post that Squire Fulwood left immediately after me (I'm not suggesting that you should comment on it ) but Squire seems to be saying that it would be ok for the OP to eat sugar once in a while.

In response to a "treat day" ok Some off us here have a treat day, in which leaves us tired and feel rubbish afterwards, not nice. This is why they are few and far between. Long term as long as you don't do it all the time is ok, I have had some treat days and my hba1c is 5.5, if I did this all the time it would not be. Again I think this is down to interpretation and explaination, not as a misunderstood sentence as you put which can be taken incorrectly.

Grazer

glucosegirl said:
My mistake was assuming that no one with diabetes would be stupid enough to go and eat such sugary junk food.

I don't think calling people stupid will help your cause. If your statement leads people to eat those foods, it's not them that are stupid.

glucosegirl said:
I would also like to point out that I DON'T agree with the information that I quoted and that I DON'T follow it myself
THEN WHY THE HELL QUOTE IT? And you didn't quote it and then say you disagreed, you just quoted it!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
DavideB said:
Guys I just asked a question, Lets not argue :D we all have different views and it's up to the individual to read digest and then make their own mind up...

Love you all :thumbup:

one other thing who is "OP"
OP is Original Poster

BTW I assume the "Oh great I can eat lots of mince pies/ice cream /etc" was tongue in cheek :lol: :lol:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
glucosegirl said:
I would also like to point out that I DON'T agree with the information that I quoted and that I DON'T follow it myself
You are sounding like a NHS HCP now :twisted:
But seriously, If I think something is erroneous, I wouldn't quote it without the waiver that I disagreed with it.

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
Grazer said:
THEN WHY THE HELL QUOTE IT? And you didn't quote it and then say you disagreed, you just quoted it!

It is a well known fact that people with AND without diabetes should not eat lots of sugary food. I did not see the need to point that out to anyone.

C

catherinecherub

DavideB said:
....If you had something with sugar in by mistake...Stopped realised and thought OH ****** what have I just done....Before you say I Have not done it but just wondering
Hello David,

You must be wondering by now is it worth asking a simple question. :?:

Usually if you eat something with sugar in as part of a main meal and the rest of the meal was diabetic friendly you will find a rise in your blood sugars but the impact will be less than if you ate a sugary snack on it's own. People with Type2 tolerate different foods so nobody can predict how much the rise will be.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually if you eat something with sugar in as part of a main meal and the rest of the meal was diabetic friendly you will find a rise in your blood sugars but the impact will be less than if you ate a sugary snack on it's own. People with Type2 tolerate different foods so nobody can predict how much the rise will be.

excellent point catherinecherub.

Can I just add that there will be a rise if you have sugar. Its unavoidable. It may be a small rise, but the rise is inevitable. If that works within your preferred blood sugar range, that's fine, but a rise will happen.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
Reading through 'all' of the posts here... Had a brainstorm :idea:
Its the words spoken with - that are giving us as ' individual's ' varying concepts of wording
translation differences here.
Possibly this can be the misconstrueing of the meaning intended by the OP...
When things get blurred it can throw up all sorts of possibilties and options to the readers of
the posts.
Well discussed and other word meanings reflected can diffuse any issues wrongly
intended.
Hope this helps ?
Anna.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
****** and I have just had some Grapes!!! :cry:

sugar.jpg

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Well!!!! Like this :thumbup:
How interesting :) DavideB
As when I did the 'desmond course' 4months after being diagnosed.
We were given various food and drinks and we had to guess "how" much sugar was in them.
It was very suprising to find n hear exactly how much sugar was in them all...
What we thought was low was high in hidden sugars - I learned so much from doing it this way too!
Anna.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmm...not sure about the accuracy of that chart. Special K has about 20g carb per 30g serving I think. Not sure how that relates to just one sugar cube! That's about half my daily carb intake! Maybe I'm reading that wrong?

Smidge

Mileana

I think it is meant to only depict the 'of which sugars'. So, not carbohydrates, but only rapid-acting-glucose-fructose-etc.

Looks like that to me at least, at a glance.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting DavideB

I assume you know that the 'sugars' declaration on packaging is not the total carbs? So if you are watching your carbs, you have to take the 'total carbs' figure from the labels, not just the sugars.