Metfartin :(

Becks20

Hello everyone,

I am on Metformin x 3 times per day (or supposed to be). I was put on it by my gynaecologist to help with my polysystic ovaries and due to my diabetes.

I cannot take 3 per day, as I end up house-bound (or should i say bathroom bound!).

I am struggling to manage one per day.

I am going to see my diabetic nurse tomorrow (she doesn't know I am on Metformin) and I was going to ask if I could change on to the slow release version I have seen mentioned on here.

Does anyone know if it would still help with polysystic ovaries?

I know this is probably more aimed at ladies, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Becks

sarahjane92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Love the title!

Metformin does help woth POS, weight and BG control ...

But my god its awful stuff.

Cant tell you how many times Ive come on and off it, the last time I really tried to take two a day, I ended up in lactoacidosis and severely dehydrated from chronic bathroom blues!
Nasty!

I would ask your diabetes team about slow releasing metformin, apparantly its much better.
I personally gave up on the stuff and just stuck to insulin (im type 1 but tried metformin for tighter control and POS related problems)

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

sarahjane92 said:
I would ask your diabetes team about slow releasing metformin, apparantly its much better.

I have found it much better - can leave the house without a pocket full of immodium..

Can't help with the ovaries question - I don't think us fish have them..

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Re: Metformin

Postby Superchip » September 22nd, 2012, 8:24 pm
anne1938, did you miss a bit out ?

Now, I've been on the dreaded metformin 2 x 1000 mg for years, about a week ago I decide to stop the metformin to observe the results, and do you know it hasn't made a scrap of difference to my 4 times a day readings !

Just checked and I stopped Metformin on the 13th Sept, so I will continue unless there is a deterioration in levels.

Superchip GLA

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm wondering what's wrong with me. I've been on the 3 a day dose of ordinary Metformin and had no trouble at all with that and then I was swapped to Metformin SR 2000mg a day and I've no problem with that either. I did feel nauseous one day but to be honest I think it was down to something I ate rather than the Metformin because it passed and didn't return.

It may not help in lowering BS but it has most DEFINITELY curbed my appetite, especially for carbs to the extent that I've excluded all but the complex carbs I get from fruit and veg. So it's definitely doing something for me.

I'm wondering if the toilet issues has something to do with whether we take Metformin AND eat carbs. Are any of you who are experiencing problems with Metformin also eating a carb diet or are you excluding carbs?

I heard that Metformin was originally a diet drug because it suppresses appetite and I wondered if it works on the same basis as that other drug that doctors give out that helps reduce weight and works by giving you the trots if you eat fat. Can't remember it's name but it has an X in it somewhere. Perhaps Metformin works the same way, but with carbs? :think:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not a pharmacist but my understanding is that Met standard and Met SR have very similar effects as a drug, so I would certainly ask to be changed to the SR version. It is less critical when you take the SR version whereas the standard form is best taken with food.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
GraceK said:
I'm wondering if the toilet issues has something to do with whether we take Metformin AND eat carbs. Are any of you who are experiencing problems with Metformin also eating a carb diet or are you excluding carbs?

I take the max dose of metformin and eat carbs with most meals and only had problems for a couple of months after stating them, mainly cramps and very bad wind now nearly 4 years later I get no problems with metformin at all.

So I would suggest it has more to do with ones constitution than whether or not you low carb.

Becks20

I thought it may have something to do with carbs too, but even when I don't eat carbs I still have tummy trouble & end up in the bathroom.

At least I know I am not the only one with troubles though, which makes me feel slightly better.

I tried taking it at the start of a meal and at the mid point of a meal and it doesn't change a thing.

Seeing the diabetic nurse tonight so fingers crossed I get the slow release version :!: