Low carb crackers

A

Anonymous

I no longer wish to be associated with this forum and have therefore removed this post

l0vaduck

swimmer2 said:
Inspired by the Great British Bake Off last night I decided to try and find a recipe for some low carb crackers.

Crackers are a problem because even the lowest ones are around 3g carbs each which means that I can have 2 with a meal tops.
So using a bit of a recipe on the net and what I had in the cupboard, I made these;

The ingredients are;
100g Almond Flour (ground almonds)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons raisins
3 teaspoons sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds

Bung everything in a food processor except 1 teaspoon of the sunflower seeds and combine everything. This takes no time at all. Then add the last teaspoon of sunflower seeds and give it one last whizz.

Form the dough into a ball in your hands and then your need to roll it out between two sheets of greaseproof paper. You need to roll it until it's about 1/8th inch thick. Too thin and they will burn in the oven (one of my batches did). That's about the thickness of a beer mat - maybe a little more. Then peel away the top sheet of paper and use a sharp knife to cut the dough in to squares (but not through the paper below).

Then carefully transfer the paper with the squares on it on to a baking tray. This means you don't need to lift them or grease the tray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. You might want to spin the tray in the oven half way through to keep things even.

I made about 16 crackers, though I did cut them quite small. I calculate that the whole batch is around 5g carbs - or 0.31g per cracker :D and they are honestly really tasty.

Now where's that jar of Marmite !

Do they taste ok? They look really nice, and I like your idea of rolling them between the paper. I was put off low carb crackers by some Atkins ones I bought, which looked quite nice but were like eating cardboard - I think the main ingredient was bran, which isn't nice to eat, unless you happen to be a horse!

A

Anonymous

I no longer wish to be associated with this forum and have therefore removed this post

rtee

Just wondering what the raisins are doing in there?
Don't they make the crackers too sweet?
Could I leave them out do you think?
I'd like to make some crackers as I miss crunchy savoury stuff (celery is ok but.....!) but the raisins put me off

A

Anonymous

I did leave them out - they were in the base recipe that I used. I can't eat raisins at all. Sorry people if you've just spent the night making raisiny crackers.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
do you know what annoys me about low-carb? It's so bleeping expensive... Almond Flour for one... even if you make it yourself...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Dont forget when you eat crackers you are usually eating cheese with them and it will normally be after a meal, I can easily eat 4 or 5 crackers with cheese after a meal as the fat (in the cheese) slows down digestion, and eating as part of a meal means the GI of a few crackers can be counteracted by some low GI foods in the meal. Wholewheat crackers are better than ordinary crackers too.

My problem is if I eat cheese every day I put on weight, so it is an occasional treat for me :D

A

Anonymous

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Paul-c, if you have an Aldi anywhere near to you they sell Ground Almonds at 99p for 200g

sarahjane92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh those look tasty! I wish I had the patience to cook!

The best low carb crackers I have found are Tesco's own cheese thins. 1.8g of carbs each!
Me and my mum were mortified when we spent a significant sum of money on atkins crackers and they were 2.8g each and tasted like chip board!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They look delicious.

Pate, anyone? :thumbup:

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
diadeb said:
Paul-c, if you have an Aldi anywhere near to you they sell Ground Almonds at 99p for 200g

right, that's a very minor diversion on the way home tomorrow then :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm slightly disappointed. When I read "Low-carb Crackers" I thought that you were announcing that wiflib, Defren and Patch were going to be posing for the annual DCUK Low-Carb calendar.

Defren

borofergie said:
I'm slightly disappointed. When I read "Low-carb Crackers" I thought that you were announcing that wiflib, Defren and Patch were going to be posing for the annual DCUK Low-Carb calendar.

That is for 'special' members only. :wink:

A

Anonymous

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
swimmer2 said:
Patch said:
Pate, anyone? :thumbup:

Oh Pate - I'd forgotten all about Pate ! yay - I'm going to make another batch..

I shock people at work by eating pate out of the pack with a knife. They all think it's kind of disgusting and cat-foody, unless you smear it on carbohydrate.

A

Anonymous

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I shock people at work by eating pate out of the pack with a knife. They all think it's kind of disgusting and cat-foody, unless you smear it on carbohydrate.

Do you eat yours smothered in butter? Thought not.

Lightweight.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
wiflib said:

Do you eat yours smothered in butter? Thought not.

Lightweight.

We did roast a huge joint of beef last weekend, I spent most of the week eating big cold slices spread thick with butter...

Going to try and add some butter to my pate tomorrow.

(When I was a kid, they hadn't invented pate yet, and we used to have to eat meat paste from tins and sausage shaped tubes instead).

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....and salmon and shrimp paste but then, we were posh. I used to stick a pin in the sausage ones and suck the contents out.