Ellie and Jones PDSA Gold Medal awards

jopar

I've just got home from a couple of very exciting days in London.

Yesterday the PDSA presented Ellie and Jones my two dogs with The Prestigious PDSA Gold Medal...

The PDSA Gold Medal is presented for Bravery and Devotion above and beyond Duty, it is known as the highest award to bestowed on an animal equivalent to the George Cross, so far only 22 (including Ellie and Jones) have had this award bestowed on them, and only 7 of these have been civilian dogs, the others have all been service dogs...

They were bestowed with this honour, for the courage and devotion they showed saving Les's (hubbies) Life back in November 2010, when Les while out walking with them, his blood glucose levels became low, but he had forgotten his hypo kit and when he went to phone me he found he'd also forgotten his mobile phone, so decided to take a short cut home, knowing that the dogs would guide him throw the dark lanes..

Les collapsed at the beginning of the lanes, so the dogs did their best to encourage him through the lanes, with a nudge and licking to get him as far as they could, and out of the lanes, then Ellie stayed with Les, and Jones came home to raise the alarm... Both dogs we've adopted from rescue, and poor Jones had such a bad start to life, this had left him with zero confidence etc and very dependant not just on us for the feeling of support but Ellie as well... So for Jones to come home on his own took him a great deal of courage, and for Ellie herself not quite 1 years old, and only with us for just over 5 months, to stay at Les's side was just pure devotion..

But along side this, they are able to warn us of a pending hypo, even waking us up at night if they sense our blood glucose levels dropping.

The presentation was Held in the Old Hall, Lincoln's Inn in the mist of the Barristers Chambers.. The introductions by Joanna Page, sadly Princess Alexandria who intended to present the medals, had to pull out at the last minute due to illness, so Jan Mcloughlin the Director General of the PDSA stepped in... The presentation was attended by some very prestiges people indeed, Lady Powell to name just one, who met us outside just before when we taken Ellie and Jones outside for a bit of chill out, not only did she make a fuss over them, but asked if she could have a photo taken with us, giving her PA her mobile then hiking the official photographer out for some more photo's to be taken of us together..

If this wasn't exciting enough we were asked if we would appear on This Morning, with 2 other Gold Medal dogs, So a morning in the ITV studio's not only to meeting Eamonn and Ruth, but Madness as well, Eamonn and Ruth really put you at ease, and even took the opportunity to speak to us while the commercial break was on before we left. My son is well chuffed as he had his photo with Sugg's, Les had a real down to earth natter with Suggs. And the band made a quick fuss of the dogs as we were coming out, and they were going to play their new song.

At the hotel when word went around that Ellie and Jones were in London to be presented with a PDSA Gold Medals, we became minor celebrities indeed, there's quite a few mobile phones now containing their photo's..

shop

I saw you Jopar!

Beautiful dogs and a wonderful story :)

No wonder you are proud.

Lovely story about the Yorkie and the lady from Wrexham too. He was so cute!

Lucy xxx

Nikkig

I'm so pleased for you and I'm glad that you had such a good time. Dogs are wonderful creatures and you must be so proud of yours and the intelligence that they have shown. Medals and awards for animals are not gained easily so please accept my sincere congratulations :thumbup: :thumbup:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What a lovely story, you must/mutt be so proud of them both.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Great news Jo. Dogs are great and nowadays its such a shame they get such a bad press when most times it's the owners fault and not the dogs.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations Jopar. I know the award was for your fantastic dogs but you and your husband also deserve an award for the way in which you must have nurtured and guided the dogs in their development.

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations. Dogs really are mans best friend!!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I saw you all on TV this morning too! Beautiful dogs, you must be very proud of them and I'm sure your hubby will be forever grateful to your lovely doggies for saving his life. I was chuffed when I saw dogs getting some well deserved and positive publicity for a change.

Congratulations Ellie and Jones!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WhitbyJet

Aw such beautiful, lovely dogs, well done Ellie and Jones.
Congratulations to you Jopar and your husband as well, you are wonderful people to take on rescue dogs and give them a good life, they have paid you back for your kindness, dogs are a man's best friend indeed, huh?!
Congratulations also on the birth of your new grandchild, you have every reason to be proud, well done all of you :clap: :clap:
My best wishes to all the family, lots of pats for the dogs x x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
What an amazing and heart warming story Jopar, thats two great dogs you have :D

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely wonderful - what Sid just said.

So great to read a 'feel good' story for a change :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What a great story Jo and those two dogs are worthy of their medals :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations to Ellie and Jones, they are beautiful dogs.
Did they get a medal each or do they have to share?

Oh and congratulations on becoming an Granny, Jo.

jopar

Thank you all for your lovely comments..

They both had a medal each and a large joint framed Certificate...

I have to admit, seeing Jones, coping with it all did bring a tear to my eye, he's come such a long way since we've had him, and there were many times in the early days that I pondered whether he would end up on Doggy Prozac to cope with life... And Ellie who we started out as a very boshy totally untrained 5 month old puppy who was totally in your face, totally ignoring the 4 paws on the floor rule! Being so chilled out that she spent most of the presentation stretched out asleep!

And their behaviour in London was excellent, even when on Wednesday night we were faced with an evacuation of the hotel, due to the fire alarm going off, they remained calm as we lead via the stairs from the 3rd floor with the other guests in the hotel...

And yes an very eventful month indeed, with the arrival on the 4th October of Tystan my first grandchild, who after a little bit of a rough start is fine and happily depriving mum of her sleep while being utterly spoilt by everybody, can't help it he's so cute... Even Jones is taking a shine to him, and he doesn't do kids at all heads off in the opposite direction upon sight off..

Edit

Removed pictures because for some strange reason, they were being cropped to one side!

C

catherinecherub

Hi Jo,

A well deserved award, marvellous dogs.
I saw you on the TV and was impressed by how well the dogs behaved in strange surroundings.