Depression - A Thought

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now 60, and over the course of my life I've hardly ever been to the doctor. Which should tell you it only happens when it's critical, or some condition has become a bother e.g. conjunctivitis, persistent adult acne etc.

Some ten years ago I started feeling very tired, and my normal level of activity was definitely 'depressed.'
Being self-employed, I was able to spend part of my working day in bed, trying to catch up on what I thought was lost sleep.
This never helped, but with energy levels low seemed unavoidable.
Eventually, several years ago I went to the GP, had blood tests, and 'nothing' was found. I was just getting old I was told.
I thought then, as I do now, that that was a load of rubbish.

For several years Google has not been my doctor but my medical advisor. I KNEW something was wrong with me. It was just a case of trying to find out what.
Google subsequently led me to the Barnes basal temperature test. Simply put you take your temperature FIRST THING in the morning.
If you have low thyroid (and I both suspected I did, and told my GP my suspicions several years ago) your temperature will be lower than normal. One book on thyroidism I have puts it at 97.8F. Mine first thing is usually about the mid 96s (around 36C.)
Fast forward to last November. Following an acute kidney infection, I'm again sat in front of a GP explaining my thyroid suspicions, backed up with my basal temperature charts. She showed no interest in my thoughts then or upon two returns to her during December, dealing with my newly diagnosed diabetes.
February this year I'm sat in front of a different GP (the one who runs the diabetes clinic) again sharing my concerns.
This time I'm listened to. "Well if you think you are, we'll test for thyroid antibodies !"
May this year (the follow-up blood test), I have antibodies confirmed, but my blood tests always show my other thyroid markers to be 'normal.'
'Normal' for most GPs means 'no need to act on.'
I'm fully convinced otherwise, and am currently asking to be referred to an endocrinologist (GP apptmt Nov 14th)

The point of this post is to point out that many consider there to be many who suffer from undetected thyroidism. Undetected because markers come back 'normal.' Therefore it's called 'subclinical.'
GPs are great when they're great, but not when they're not :(

If like me, you go to bed tired, wake up tired, spend all day tired, have symptoms which could be diagnosed as depression (something which is often associated with diabetes) then consider whether you're possibly subclinically hypothyroid.
Start by taking your morning temperature. It's a good indicator.

I've shared this in case it helps one other person.
I don't suffer from diabetes, but I do from my thyroid condition.

Geoff

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Geoff, please get your Vitamin D and B12 levels checked as well if you haven't already done so.

I had exactly the sort of fatigue you're talking about and had low Vitamin D, plus slightly lower than normal thyroid readings. Once my Vitamin D was topped up, my next thyroid test was fine again - plus all the fatigue issues disappeared. I guess I rave on about it too much, but it's such a simple thing and can make a HUGE difference to your quality of life.

As I understand it, Vitamin D is actually more of a hormone than a vitamin and is a precursor to a lot of other hormones - it and cholesterol are essential nutrients for other hormone production.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Indy51 wrote
Geoff, please get your Vitamin D and B12 levels checked

I'll certainly raise that with my GP. I get a lot of sun exposure so would doubt a low Vit D level.
I assess myself as emotionally resilient, but if I weren't I suspect I would present as more 'depressed.'
I've simply learned that many who are subclinically hypothyroid have doctors who are reluctant to respond to their symptoms, and who 'get their life back' on appropriate thyroid treatment.

librarising wrote
I don't suffer from diabetes

What I meant is that I have diabetes, but don't see it a s a source of suffering.

Geoff

shop

Geoff I agree I have had both hyper and hypo and just recently suspected that I was having too much thyroxine as I had lost 1 1/2 stone! Which makes sense that if your size changes so may your requirement!

Anyway I asked my GP who was most unhelpful. Luckily my Endo at the hosp had decided to run some bloods and TFT was one. When I saw the practice nurse re the results she told me that my TSH was low ( indicator of too much thyroxine ) but because my T4 was within range my gP had decided to leave the dose as it was ( that was about 6 mnths ago!!) I became more tired lost more weight and started having probs with muscles and then other symptoms. Went back but saw another GP who sorted it immediately ( even without a btest as I was so poorly another week would have been unbearable. ) I am now well in to my reduced dose and for the last week or so have felt much better. I am due to have another TFT in a few weeks to see if I am now within range!!

The point is that the second Dr looks at bthe whole picture ie BT results and how you feel. I would ask to see a different Dr.

I hope you get it sorted as I know whow retched it can make you feel,

Good Luck

Lucy xxx

Reactions: 2 people

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are both very valuable points. I have sorted out my Vitamin D requirements this week.

I too have been fobbed off by my old doctor about my thyroid and temperature. I had forgotten about it, as I thought I was wrong. So I will see another doctor in the practise about my low temperature as soon as I can.

Thanks guys for all this sharing and helping.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Just to add my tuppence-worth -

ABout 6 years ago now I was in a dreadful state - depressed, very low energy levels, dry skin, thinning hair, couldn't lose weight, and I'd had bad periods for years - almost every single thing that is on the hypothyroid symptoms list. But all my thyroid readings were "normal".

Eventually I managed to bully a GP into giving me levothyroxine - 25mg (is it mg or mcg?) daily to start. Another GP is happy to work with me, and treating the symptoms over a few years has got me up to 100mg about 3 years ago. I'm feeling much better than I was, but over all this time I have never had an abnormal thyroid blood test - not even to say I'm taking too much thyroxine!

I'd like a bit more levothyroxine, but my GP has dug his heels in, and given my blood test results, I don't blame him! He shouldn't be treating me at all.

My theory is that the thyroid reading range is too wide. Someone on the low edge of the range may well be a person who needs to be up at the high end - but they won't get treated because they are sub-clinical! Like Geoff, if you suspect hypothyroidism, you really need to research it thoroughly and make a good case for identification and treatment.

Does anyone know when the thyroid range was last reviewed? I have it in my head that the range was fixed decades ago, and was worked out by testing men only.

I supplement with Vitamin D3, because despite in my case spending plenty of time outside, as we get older our ability to metabolise Vit D from sunlight gets lower, and many people come out of the winter at British latitudes with their Vit D levels too low.

I also use a SAD lamp in the winter. In fact, it's past time I got it out this year. :D

Viv 8)