Diabetic Complications Poll

Should members be allowed to discuss the causes and reality of diabetic complications

• Yes

Votes: 72 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why is it OK for posters to come on and tell us we are fat and lazy lard ar%es and we brought it on ourselves?

why is that permitted and unchallenged by the mods (on the whole) unless we raise and outcry?

why, when we get upset at this factually incorrect and horrid post calling us these thing, and respond, are we then banned and moderated, have threads locked and posts removed?

and yet it is NOT OK to talk about correct, true and factually proven complication which our HCP's do not tell us for fear of upsetting us, or ignorance?

Lets have some consistence here, and fairness.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Complications and avoiding them are a big part of diabetes. The key to discussion of complications is appropriate sensitivity.

I probably can't stress this hard enough.

With thanks
Benedict

Emotional posts from people who care are a big part of diabetes forum posting. The key to discussion of postings is appropriate sensitivity.

I probably can't stress this hard enough.

With thanks
Lucy

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Well. Different people have different opinions and yes that is up for debate. We also have to bear in mind that diabetic complications may be no issue for one person but others do and that is a fact. I think we also have to not be so absolute based on our opinions and possibly scare someone or on the opposite side of the coin make them too complacent. If you are fit as you can be I am more than pleased for you bear in mind one persons solution can be anothers poison, diabetes is a serious condition and we cannot escape the fact and the moment we ignore it thats when big problems can arise.

It is healthy to discuss complications but maybe not in an environment where minors can read. They can learn later. Complications are a real thing with diabetes we can choose to ignore it or debate and share experiences in a constructive way, me I prefer the latter.

Simon aka Cobra3164

benedict

Administrator
why is it OK for posters to come on and tell us we are fat and lazy lard ar%es and we brought it on ourselves?[/quote

It certainly isn't ok Lucy. If comments like these go unmoderated, please let us know.

Benedict

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The is absolutely NO REASON why this forum cant be split to have an area only for minors, or the newly diagnosed, or the nervous. The technology is there.

Admin - why not do this?

Ashleigh

Cobra3164 said:
Well. Different people have different opinions and yes that is up for debate. We also have to bear in mind that diabetic complications may be no issue for one person but others do and that is a fact. I think we also have to not be so absolute based on our opinions and possibly scare someone or on the opposite side of the coin make them too complacent. If you are fit as you can be I am more than pleased for you bear in mind one persons solution can be anothers poison, diabetes is a serious condition and we cannot escape the fact and the moment we ignore it thats when big problems can arise.

It is healthy to discuss complications but maybe not in an environment where minors can read. They can learn later. Complications are a real thing with diabetes we can choose to ignore it or debate and share experiences in a constructive way, me I prefer the latter.

Simon aka Cobra3164
when they've done their damage?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DavidB 7.31am Benedict.

Just one example. Do you wish every one to be flagged up every time it happens?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
DavideB said:
Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.....

Does not mention scaremongering...So I voted NO..

To me this forum is for advice and Help: We are not doctors, we are victims of an illness that 80% of it is our fault for being lard arses and eating the wrong stuff and not taking any exercise..

New people coming on here for the first time are scared and just want some help...NOT to be told about the complications, their doctor will tell them that, It's not our place to go and scare someone. We are not Doctors nor Gods ..

The best thing on this forum is the HELP, ADVISE, And the GOOD HUMOR,

I agree with your post with the exception of '80% of it is our fault for being lard arses and eating the wrong stuff and not taking any exercise..' -

You might want to study this before you throw the 'blame the victim' card on the table - http://www.bloodsugar101.com/
and also bear in mind that there are very many low weight, underweight, normal weight diabetics too.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Ashleigh, I think you may have misunderstood me a little. When I refer they can learn later, it is up to the parent or carers judgement for minors not a case of letting them do damage that is the last thing anyone wants myself included. I was also referring that sometimes as adults discussing the more unpleasant things to do with diabetes we tend to be blunt and I do not think it is fair of us to put that in the face of minors.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

Ashleigh

Cobra3164 said:
Hi Ashleigh, I think you may have misunderstood me a little. When I refer they can learn later, it is up to the parent or carers judgement for minors not a case of letting them do damage that is the last thing anyone wants myself included. I was also referring that sometimes as adults discussing the more unpleasant things to do with diabetes we tend to be blunt and I do not think it is fair of us to put that in the face of minors.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164
Maybe not small children, but then they shouldnt be on public forums and the big bad internet anyway - BUT you cant censor a whole forum incase a minor might see it. These are real possibities - and reality - for a lot of people. Its a fact of diabetes so should be openly discussed as such.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ashleigh said:
Cobra3164 said:

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164
Maybe not small children, but then they shouldnt be on public forums and the big bad internet anyway - BUT you cant censor a whole forum incase a minor might see it. These are real possibities - and reality - for a lot of people. Its a fact of diabetes so should be openly discussed as such.

If you let your children have unfettered access to the internet, then they'll end up looking at things a lot worse than diabetic complications.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why we need a separate Minors section of the forum. I am surprised it isnt already in place, as it has been mentioned a lot. Especially when we need to talk about grown-up aspects of Diabetes like sex and problems of an intimate nature. Or are having an unrelated crisis and need the emotional support of our friends here.

The technology is there, with controls based on logging in and being registered by age.

I totally agree that minors must be shielded and protected and their parents/carers are the best judges of what they can cope with.

and its not a matter of parents being lax about what they see here. The whole site is open and there is no way for parents/carers to prevent their children from reading anything. The admin, in my view, have the responsibility to put choice in place for parents to make about what their children can access. It is not the parents fault if that choice is not there.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Cobra3164 said:

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

It's not fair to put that in the face of ANYONE. Adults are also entitled to a choice in what information they're exposed to without warning - and that does not mean they are burying their heads in the sand. It simply means they would like some control over their information diet as well as their food diet.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
I understand where you are coming from Gracek. As adults we can make that choice based on knowing ourselves and what we want to know, but that can be the opposite for minors. It is not a case of burying things in the sand but of allowing people to make an informed choice given the knowledge that some articles posted may be more blunt than on the general forum, upon knowing that people can choose if they want to read that or not, therefore adults are given the choice. I still think an over 18 or some kind of area would be welcome by most.

Best wishes

Simon aka Cobra3164

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
lucylocket61 said:
I am worried and frightened about taking part in your poll, in case i get banned.
You won't get banned! We welcome opinions from users on ways we can improve the forum experience :thumbup:

rtee

I can understand both sides of this discussion.

The problem is
a) that the written word can look so much more blunt than the spoken word sounds, if you get what I mean.
b) that some people need to know the worst to keep motivated and others prefer not to know
c) some people are very sensitive and quick to take umbrage
d) some people are not mature enough to cope with too much information (I didn't see the post that has caused the problem, but this appears to have been the problem)

I myself have been in trouble for posting an inappropriate title. Which embarrassed me and which I accepted as fair .

I have described some of my late husband's complications when answering a post, but didn't get any flack. Maybe the other people who read that post were able to cope with the more difficult aspects of this condition.

I hope and trust that we can all calm down and start again and not get so polarised. It would be a great shame if this forum gets bland and uninformative because some of the more prolific and informed posters are banned or leave.

Maybe we should all have a signature that reads "I am not a doctor & this is my personal opinion" !

rtee

Just realised I'd missed a whole page of posts when i read through this topic.
I now see that it appears a young person or their carer was upset by being told of complications.

This was obviously very unfortunate, but as has been already stated there are threads re sexual dysfunction etc which are readily available for all to read and which are very important for people to talk about.

I agree that a "minors area" would be a good idea if it is technically possible. I don't see how that could be policed though as I could pretend to be any age I want . Maybe a whole new site?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the subject of minors came later in the discussion. It wasn't the cause of the whole thing.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes I agree that you cant censor the whole forum. What I am suggesting that there is a section of the forum for those who wish to discuss sometimes the harsh reality of what has or in their opinion may happen without exposing it for all to see, and for those adults who wish to make an informed choice to enter that section of the forums. I would not want the majority of this forum to be made unobtainable, but there is obviously a minority who want a place where they can express their concerns etc.

Simon aka Cobra3164

Unbeliever

I have alwys believed that the most common diabetes complications re common knowledge. If people don't wn o read about them
then why would they look at place labelled 2Diabetes complications!?

If they have a dredful fascination with these things they can alwys get the factual information on the internet . Discussions here about complications usually centre round one indivuiduals fers and desire for more information, This allows others to join in with their own experiences and probably helps others who are just "lurking".

If there were no consequences to neglecting dibetes then what would be the point of treating it at all? Those hings we refer to s "complications " are the consequences of having diabetes. Good control may not always save us from complicaions but it can certainly help and even reverse complications when they hppen/.

Surely giving someone the tools to fight complications cn only be a good thing? There is nothing worse than feeling helpless in the fce of adversity. Is sitting waitinf for inevitable deterioration a better way.?

I didn't cuse my own diabees. I didn't cause my own complictions That goes for all of us. Some have been luckier thn others in finding wy to stave hem off and majke hem less likely to occur. Others aren't so lucky but may still find wy o ward off he wors complications.

Is there any eveidence that large numbers of children are trawing dibeic fora? I find that very difficult to believe.
If his is such n issue then certainly soething should be done about it. I really can't believe that is the cse but it seems o fi in with curen trends that the minority {someimes even of one} takes preedence over he mjority.
So if a habndful of naughty children decide to look t our riveting discussions his is a good reason to withhokd useful information from he majority of adults!

No the dibees complication part of the forum is hardly in anyone's face when hey come here. Maaybe we need to let people know that only children and childish people are welcome.

Really Davide's post is a classic! Of course people like to think that losing a litle weight cures heir condition and don't wan to hink that there may be oother consequences.
Tht wy people can revert o a poor diet for diabees or overeating and no aking any eercise nd just rtell themselves that they can always diet again and all will be well.

All nice nd fuzzy and happy. But its not rue is it. Ojk if he wants to kid himself but most people like to know the truth even if they can;t fce up o it all t once,

Do we relly want a "Nnny" forum. Perhaps that is how it migh t be split. Fntsyland in one part and Reality in the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.