Low sugar sponge cake

raymagic

Dear All,
My ideal cake would be a sponge cake with just flour,eggs, orange,and a small amount of sugar.
Any ideas please.
Regards Ray

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Ray

Cannot help with a particular recipe but a plain sponge recipe adapted might be the answer. I have had a rock cake where the sugar was replaced with Splenda and that worked well. Might be worth an experiment.

Regards

Doug

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Surely, its not just the sugar that would be the problem, its also the flour. I know a piece of cake, no matter which sort, would give me a spike in a very short time after eating :(

SueR

I often make sponge cakes and put half the amount of sugar in. I don't use butter, but opt for sunflower spread as it makes the cake very light. I make fruit cakes this way too and have had no complaints about them.

Reactions: lorraine95

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
raymagic said:
Dear All,
My ideal cake would be a sponge cake with just flour,eggs, orange,and a small amount of sugar.
Any ideas please.
Regards Ray
Approx -
150 g ground almonds & coconut flour
1 1/2 teasp baking powder
spices
no need for sugar
sieve together

3-4 eggs
100 g olive oil &/or butter
beat & add to flour
mix - soft dropping consistency - extra egg if it's too thick

transfer to 9" round silicone baking dish
175 deg C for 20 minutes

Add other flavours - eg ripe banana, sultanas, seeds, sweetener, cocoa, orange, carrot ... as desired.

It has a spongy texture. I make it twice a week & use it as cake, bread, pudding, etc. A little orange juice would serve your purpose.

Enjoy.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sounds wonderful, Ian. Will have to try this.

Thanks

Doug

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Claudia Roden's orange and almond cake is a big favourite of mine - just subsitute the sugar with sweetener of your choice - I sometimes add a bit of cinnamon or mixed spice - nice in the winter time - makes a big cake and it's quite rich so you can half the recipe or freeze half of it as I find it only keeps for the max 3 days.

I use a silicon cake tin so don't dust with flour etc

http://www.lovefood.com/guide/recipes/1 ... lmond-cake

destiny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Replace flour with Ground almonds, making it a low carb recipe (much better than just reducing your sugar)

To convert any regular baked recipes to low-carb using almond flour, experiment by simply replacing the volume of flour in the recipe with the same volume of almond flour. Use slightly more raising agent than the recipe suggests, allowing for the heavier weight of the almond flour.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/3520/cooking-with-almond-flour