is it to late for me!!!

mackdaddy1985

Hello there

I am brand new to this forum,

i am 27 i have type 1 since i was 3 and i have to say i have never had control of my sugar levels!!!i try and i try but cant seem to change,

i have a daughter who is 14 months old and i am scared i wont be around to see her,

basically if i can get under control after so many years out of control can this stop complications?

thank you

Snodger

hey there and welcome.
no it's not too late - and now you have a great incentive in the form of your daughter.
Do you know if you already have any complications? Have you been going to eye screening etc?

mackdaddy1985

Hi thanks for the welcome :)

as far as i know i have no complications yet, i have been attending my eye screenings and they have all come back clear,the only thing i do have which my GP says could be diabetic related is water retention in my legs its little but still ocours!!

yes your right having my daughter has made me really want to change this

thank you

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
mackdaddy1985 said:
sorry pressed enter too many times
That's enthusiasum for you :lol:

Do you attend a hospital clinic or is it a GP led one?
If GP ask for a referal to a clinic. Explain to them what you want and need.
You didn't say what insulin you are on but am assuming MDI! If this is the case Ask to shown how to carb count and adjust your insulin to your own needs.
No it's not to late, infact it's never to late :)
There's an online site called bdec google it and have a good read you can teach yourself to carb count from it.
Perhaps also invest in a couple of books...... Think like a pancreas and using insulin. These can be found on amazon.
Many congratulations on the birth of your little girl :clap:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mackdaddy
no-one can promise you you will never get complications, but by getting truly under control, you reduce your risk. I would recommend you read "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution". It's a book full of informattion , written by a practising doctor who is himself diabetic. Try your library for the book. It's quite pricey to buy.
Hana

mackdaddy1985

Hi CarbsRok

thank you for your very nice reply,

i am currently at a GP led clinic but will soon transfer to a hospital clinic as i find them more helpfull,

i am using Novorapid and Lantus at the moment,

i will have a look online now for the books you mentioned i need all the help i can get,

i have just registered online for the carb counting thank you

thank you for all your suggestions

much appreciated

:)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I came here with T2D complications & listened to advice from a T1 - Fergus, who got his life under control.

This link is to a magazine article.

With a low carb diet, 4 1/2 years on I am free from complications.

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
My situation is very similar to yours! 28, with a young family. Spent years drinking smoking and eating like a monster! (Plus not testign) SImply eating what I like and doing my best to counteract with insulin - a real co*k ar*ed way of dealing with it.

In two seperate instance ive been found to have the very begginings of complications.... minor changes in my eyes during retinopathy. And more recently, protein leaking from my kidneys.

For both things from intial finding and within 3 months of bucking up my ideas and getting under decent conrol I have to an extent reversed the damage (Definatly in the eyes) and intial evidence suggests I have on the kidneys (Ie less protein leaking and a reduced blood pressure).

Im not saying that in every instance it can be reversed nor that when these complications are found go on a health kick for a few months then back to normal life.

Im saying, keep up the screenings and appts. The earlier things are found the more treatable they are.

&

Healthier lifestyles and blood sugars are obviously better for you, ive definatly proved this to myself recently. This time I wont be reverting back to how I was. Ive kicked smoking, a lot of the drinking (Although ill still have a few every now and again) Ive lost 3 stones, Ive cut carbs from around 250g a day, to about 140g which has made managing my bloods a lot easier. I test a lot and im learning a lot about my body. I do still have a treat here and there, but to me would life be worth living without a chinese takeaway every now and again!!

It has been a really hard road, its taken a year to drop the 3 stone, and the hunger pains have killed me, exercise was never part of my life before, but now i try and play a bit of tennis, and do a lot of walking and stuff and its helped tremendously. I feel much better within my self now.

Good luck mate, itll be worth it, and congrats on the baba!

Klang180

In short, No. It is never too late but that isn't to say you shouldn't start right away!

I recommend Gary Schenier's "Think Like a Pancreas". it is inexpesnive and very good and will get all teh basics for what you need to know. The most important thign is the motivation to change things and the knowledge that it won't be easy. However once you have a better understanding and you start making gains in control it gets addictive and is very rewarding, you can actually look forward to your tests, really you can!

In addition i would really recommend exercise and a healthy diet. i am not a fan of low carb myself but i find low fat and complex carbs a real help. My insulin sensitivity has doubled and my control much improved since increasing my exercise and improving my diet (reducing fat and increasing fruit and veg).

I basically try to avoid anything bad for me with a few treats now and then. This means about 10 fruit and veg a day, complex carbs such as root vegs and wholemeal pasta, bread and rice and as little fat as possible, particularly saturated fat. I do a lot of exercise and need the carbs for fuel but i know others believe in low carb, i don't but that is their opinion. Low GI is definetly a good step though but again this is all covered in Gary's book.

You can do it, you just have to want to!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kids are a great motivation for turning things around, it's never too late so do make those changes now :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Congrats on the Baby! And like the others who've given you some excellent information and encouragement - it's never too late to improve on things. :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hello and welcome mackdaddy. I agree with the others who have replied, its never to late.

No one can go back and make a new start. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Good luck with best wishes RRB

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
Alas, I do not have the motivator-baby app. I just have to motivate myself.

It's been said already. NO IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

If you make the right causes you will reap the right effects. That is, watch your BGs, be sensible in your diet, do some regular exercise, keep off the smokes and limit the booze, you'll stand a good chance of living a long and fruitful life (other non-diabetic things notwithstanding). Life doesn't come with a guarantee (save for taxrs and death) but you can see my point.

For my part, embracing Buddhism nearly 30 years ago has helped me understand the truth of the inseparability of cause and effect. It is all down to me. And to you.

Good luck on your new, healthier path.

Robert WT
T1 since 1996
HbA1c 63%
Slightly overweight (OK, I'm technically obese, just - hell, how I hate that!)
Teetotal
Vegetarian

Complications:
Elevated blood pressure
Eyesight getting worse (probably old age creeping up on me)
Depression (more or less continuous for the last 6-7 years) This is the worst.

kt78

Naturally - I agree with everyone else - it's never too late!
One little piece of advice I'd give is to say that if one suddenly tightens control, it can actually make retinopathy worse (this happened to me!). :eh:
Wishing you all the best :thumbup:

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello. It is never too late for you, the fact that you are addressing that question proves that, plus also you may only have a minor complication is gr8. There are so many people who for many reasons address it when major problems arise, but at the same time there are a lot of people undiagnosed who dont realise until a complication arises there needs to be more education to the public. BE PROUD that you have an awareness and are setting a good example to others.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, have u tried a pump? I've been T1 diabetic for 35 years and have no physical complications. I've tried nearly every insulin there is and have never had 'good' control. Using a pump has helped me get the best control I've ever had! Had a pump for about 3 years now and wouldn't go back to pens :)

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Yup same here as kt78 been type one since I was 13 and 4 months ago attended local carb counting course and dropped my sugars down and a month later... retinopathy.. still having the laser treatment and now trying to get in a good position to try get a pump.
Unfortunately they didnt even mention the risk of running tighter control ...one of the first things they asked us was our latest HbA1c (mine was 10.6) so were aware.
It appears late 40's is when everything starts to bite so do your very best right now... not next week.. now :thumbup:

mackdaddy1985

WOW thank you all for your very very helpfull and uplifting comments i really want to make things better and i have not had the will to do so before but people like you have made me want to do it so thank you a billion your stars

volvicwater22

im the same man, well im 20 but in the past 7 years i have lacked control. Its annoying because my dad and brother also have diabetes and they are so much better at it. hopefully a cure comes along soon :)