Odd Happenings

Cal

Hi people.
Wondered if anyone can help me here. I am insulin dependant and have been a diabetic since 2000. I am a bit irresponsible sometimes, as i do like a chocolate bar or 2 and I also smoke around 10 cigs a day.
Apart from that, I play sport weekly and have an active job. My blood tests every few months seem to be that of a normal person and I would generally say I am healthier and fitter than many people.

Last week whilst driving home from work, my vision went funny for a few seconds and I then found myself about 5 miles away parked up on the side of the road. There was a mcdonalds bag in the car and I also had a milkshake!! I have no recollection of this at all. I paid with my chip and pin card as the receipt was in the car. I can see little images from the experience but is like im trying to remember a dream. Obviously i have found this a bit distressing.

I have been stressed out at work recently, my relationship is in tatters and I wonder if maybe the stress is getting to me and has caused this? I have had a few episodes of confusion recently before the occurence I have just written about, maybe all connected?? Is it diabetes finally telling me who the boss is?? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Been to the docs and am awaiting blood test results, anyone had an experience like this before?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you test your blood glucose before starting your drive home? I wonder if you had a hypo which might explain you not remembering much and having unknowingly got yourself something to eat?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I agree,Sounds pretty plausable considering the circumstances,pretty scary stuff!! :shock:

Cal

SophiaW said:
Did you test your blood glucose before starting your drive home? I wonder if you had a hypo which might explain you not remembering much and having unknowingly got yourself something to eat?

No I didnt test, I felt completely normal. The most severe hypo ive ever had is a bit of trembling / feeling weak and usually a mars bar sorts it out within minutes! but ive never had my vision triple on me!! The milkshake may explain a hypo, when i got home i tested and it was 6.2 i think! So confusing :?

firdosa4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have gotten in similar situation like your when i suffered really bad hypos in 2010. twice to be precise with a month spam. luckily i have been free from those episodes for almost 3yr now :D
don't try to over think about what happened cause all that will do is give you a headache, unless you want to identify exactly what caused this episode. Gaps in the memory are very frustrating. but i am able to laugh at it now.
you may have reached this stage already since this post is from May. or u may need more time. i just got over it last year.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
If it were me, I would say it was most likely a hypo. It doesn't often happen, I'm usually pretty aware when I drop but, I've had a couple of incidences where I hadn't realised I was having a hypo and ended up with memory loss.

One such incident was when I was at school, I asked to leave my classroom and I walked from the top floor on one side of the school, to the other end of the school on the ground floor where the sick room was. I'd been in there for 5/10 minutes before I knew where I was.

Scary stuff, but it appears that my body had a natural reaction to go and get help and treat the hypo which is fairly reassuring.