Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How good it would be for someone to stand as an Independent ( ideally someone with diabetes :wink: ) against Dr Lee at the next General Election.

sassywriter43

This has made me so angry. I am newly diagnosed and trying to control mine with diet. Reason being, I have ME (severe), I have been on trial and error medication for the past 8 years for the ME and also Fibromyalgia. I am hugely housebound and on bad days bed bound (not through choice). I am also an ex - nurse. Thrown into the mix also is multi chemical sensitivity, which means if any medication has to be changed no new ones can be added, or if I am added onto 2 or 3 new medications then if I react to any nobody knows which ones they are. Through the trial and error med I gained a lot of weight, even though my calorie intake was very little (I went through a stage where I couldn't swallow), and back in summer got asked to go for a routine blood test when I was able to as glucose was detected in my urine as I had a water infection. Thankfully I am loosing the weight (thanks to a med I am taking for preventing migraines), but those who have to use medication to control theirs whether it be insulin or tablet, it should all be free!! I a honestly angry, and really sorry for going off on a tangent.

Have a nice day all

Rohart

I was diagnosed with diabetes more than ten years ago following an operation on an area of my small bowel that had become badly infected. For months I was told by a check-up team that I had glucose in my urine and should inform my GP. For months, I was told by my GP that I wasn't nearly fat enough or old enough to have diabetes. When that GP left and another took over the practice he sent me for tests, which confirmed I had type 2 diabetes. Shortly after, my insulin production ceased completely and I was prescribed insulin. So how is that my fault and why should I be made to pay? After all, being obese isn't the only reason people develop diabetes. If Dr Lee doesn't understand this maybe it's because he's as useless a doctor as my former GP?

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
diabetes runs in our family with all my 6 brothers and sister all type 2 insulin controlled. now can he please tell me that this is our falt we have this condition ???. i think not.

masterskippy

Perhapse the Honourable idiot should live in the real world. He lives off the public as it is and is subsidised every day, by the general public.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I think subconsciously, all patients want to 'like' their doctors and HCP's to the point of becoming totally blind to their faults.

That's because whether we want to admit it or not, if we're ill, if we have a chronic medical condition, we feel vulnerable and we damned well are vulnerable so it's only natural we want to build a rapport with our HCPs. But we shouldn't lose sight of common sense.

I don't know about you but I don't feel up to an argument with a receptionist, nurse or doctor when I'm feeling ill, or a medication isn't agreeing with me or I'm diabetic, asthmatic or anaphylactic. And I really find those those bloody posters telling me the HCPs wont stand for any abuse, really offensive.

Only last week I heard of a local GP who'd been moved elsewhere. Some of his patients thought he was 'lovely' when all the time he was actually involved in fraud. And that's just one of the reasons why I get soooooooooo angry when I hear idiots like Phillip Lee insulting patients yet again and implying we're all a BURDEN on the NHS!!!

We're not a burden at all, we're what the NHS is damned well there for! Just what do these doctors see as their role these days?

I think some of them have forgotten what the job is all about and have their heads stuck so far up their a***s that they can't see that some of us see right through them for what they are.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
masterskippy said:
Perhapse the Honourable idiot should live in the real world. He lives off the public as it is and is subsidised every day, by the general public.

:thumbup: Damned right he does!

celmacmat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What about mis-diagnose Type 1 people like me?

I am a type 1, my history indicates I am a type 1, my Dr is convinced I am a Type 1 but when I came to the UK I was put down as Type 2 and now I am stuck with the label.

Are they going to pay for every one to have a GAD test? My NHS trust don't want to pay for mine...

iph888

Thanks for the facebook link, have put the following on his page & hope he will take more note when it's put in this way as I'm sure he doesn't need the discrimination-based headlines:

Predisposition to type 2 diabetes can be genetic so just be very careful what you are advocating here. A headline of "Tory MP calls to only treat patients based on genetics!" would be considered by some newspapers - or pre-Leveson I am sure they would find more headline grabbing words (I think you can guess which ones). Medical staff like yourself are so ill-informed by my condition that there is almost no point talking to them. Diabetics are already fighting to get through medical miss-understanding the last thing they need is to be told they have to pay for the privilege. Please retract this very ill considered opinion as it certainly won't help the conservatives get re-elected.

desidiabulum

noblehead said:
How good it would be for someone to stand as an Independent ( ideally someone with diabetes :wink: ) against Dr Lee at the next General Election.
Now that is a brilliant suggestion! The real value of Lee is that he is articulating so much of the widely-dispersed disinformation and prejudice about diabetes -- coordinated attacks on him would be a perfect platform for getting the truth across, and by raising his own profile he raises the profile of attacks on him as well. Is there a diabetic group in his constituency?

jopar

Unfortunately whether I like the phrase 'burden' or not, I am burden to the NHS as it supporting me everyday, and the only thing I can do, is look after myself the best I can so I limit the 'burden' to the minimalist level possible...

Scathing remarks and criticism against those such Dr Philip Lee MP, concerning their remarks about burden etc, is a wast of time!

As yes the NHS does need reorganising and things to change to be able to effectively carry on with what it does, and that should be 'free medical treatment' at the point of access...

So instead of moaning, blaming and telling people how horrid they are and trying to convince others weren't are they burdens we are etc...

We should be thinking of how can this prehistoric organisation be brought into the 21st century and still serve us in the manner we are accustomed to...

I can see one way of freeing up some of their budget, and that's the reorganisation of the management structure its too top heavy, to many managers managing managers... If it's management structure was stripped back to those management structures that were found in the private sector this would free quite a bit of it's budgets...

And yes it does need to look into who should have access which is a politically sensitive area..

As to putting a independent MP against Dr Lee in a election, wouldn't work as an handful of independent MP's makes no difference into the running of the country, as the 3 main parties carry the votes to whether it's a yes or no, what ever party is in power!

desidiabulum

jopar said:
Unfortunately whether I like the phrase 'burden' or not, I am burden to the NHS as it supporting me everyday, and the only thing I can do, is look after myself the best I can so I limit the 'burden' to the minimalist level possible...

Scathing remarks and criticism against those such Dr Philip Lee MP, concerning their remarks about burden etc, is a wast of time!

As yes the NHS does need reorganising and things to change to be able to effectively carry on with what it does, and that should be 'free medical treatment' at the point of access...

So instead of moaning, blaming and telling people how horrid they are and trying to convince others weren't are they burdens we are etc...

We should be thinking of how can this prehistoric organisation be brought into the 21st century and still serve us in the manner we are accustomed to...

I can see one way of freeing up some of their budget, and that's the reorganisation of the management structure its too top heavy, to many managers managing managers... If it's management structure was stripped back to those management structures that were found in the private sector this would free quite a bit of it's budgets...

And yes it does need to look into who should have access which is a politically sensitive area..

As to putting a independent MP against Dr Lee in a election, wouldn't work as an handful of independent MP's makes no difference into the running of the country, as the 3 main parties carry the votes to whether it's a yes or no, what ever party is in power!

Obviously one MP makes no difference in parliament (even if you could unseat Lee, which might well not be possible). But the point is more that a campaign against Lee would be a way of raising public awareness. The problem is always trying to find a high-profile focus for informed debate about diabetes -- a link to an election campaign is a way of doing this. But involvement of a local diabetes group would be vital.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How come we got into this mess,

In 1948 new NHS stated " The health service will be available to all and financed entirely from taxation, which means that people pay into it according to their means"

The only problem with this good idea is, free service for people that do not pay into our tax system.

You could say we diabetes use control to keep things to the best of our ability.
You could say the NHS has lost control thanks to weak Governments.

Roy.

jopar

But what Lee is saying isn't just about 'diabetes' it concerns every individual that has a chronic illness that requires regular treatment or medication on the NHS that are exempt from prescription charges... His reference to diabetic's is purely based on it's in the public eye at the moment, so would give more impact to his reasoning... If the MS sufferers had a greater public awareness then he would have used this group!

The debate is whether those who have a chronic medical condition should continue to receive their prescription! or not!

We need to focus people not our chronic illness, but on there are alternatives solutions that resolve the problem but gives the same service to individuals!

izzzi

When the NHS was started way back in 1948, it was funded by a fixed stamp a week, Men had to pay a full stamp, females could chose to pay an half-stamp... Difference was female received no unemployment benefits and it also meant that they couldn't receive a full pension on retirement, and had no rights to claim a married man's pension!

The Stamp was stopped sometime in the 70's, and National Insurance brought in which is earnings based! The more you earn the more you pay!

But I agree that for many years, it seems that if you pitch up in the country you will receive free medical treatment whether you are officially entitled to it or not!

Nikkig

I think, for what it's worth , we are missing a chance here. In my letter to him, I explained that as my mother had type 2 diabetes that I had a higher chance of developing it, what I did not know is how to lower the odds of me developing the disease. You are warned for example, that smoking may damage your health, but nowhere have you seen a campaign that points out that those who have the gene have a higher chance of developing the disease, the campaigns have all focused on the symptoms of having developed it when it is too late.

An educative approach is what I think is needed and maybe it is up to us to approach someone to spark an awareness campaign. Starting thinking of those strap lines people :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
desidiabulum said:
noblehead said:
Now that is a brilliant suggestion! The real value of Lee is that he is articulating so much of the widely-dispersed disinformation and prejudice about diabetes -- coordinated attacks on him would be a perfect platform for getting the truth across, and by raising his own profile he raises the profile of attacks on him as well. Is there a diabetic group in his constituency?

:thumbup: Sounds sensible.

rebel1

jopar said:

Have to disagree with you, he stated that the NHS budgets can't cope, but what he's suggesting would actually cost more then any costs savings, that is so obvious. Patients don't need to be told that they are a burden on the NHS at any level, if people had a 'choice' they would be 'well', not 'unwell'. Mr. Lee has to adhere to the following which I'm sure he has:-

General Medical Council: 'Duties of a doctor' :-

Make the care of your patient your first concern.
Protect and promote the health of patients and the public.

Provide a good standard of practice and care:
Keep your professional knowledge and skills up to date.
Recognise and work within the limits of your competence.
Work with colleagues in the ways that best serve patients' interests.

Treat patients as individuals and respect their dignity:
Treat patients politely and considerately.
Respect patients' right to confidentiality.

Work in partnership with patients:
Listen to patients and respond to their concerns and preferences.
Give patients the information they want or need in a way they can understand.
Respect patients' right to reach decisions with you about their treatment and care.
Support patients in caring for themselves to improve and maintain their health.

Be honest and open and act with integrity:
Act without delay if you have good reason to believe that you or a colleague may be putting patients at risk.
Never discriminate unfairly against patients or colleagues.
Never abuse your patients' trust in you or the public's trust in the profession.

More on the GMC website.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I think the word 'burden' is a totally inappropriate way to describe ANY patient and I think the word is chosen very, very carefully by politicians and NHS employees alike because it makes the patient feel GUILTY for being ill or having a chronic medical condition. Yet some patients have meekly accepted the label and no doubt their HCPs love them to bits.

Why would there be a need for politicians and NHS employees to introduce such negative language in reference to patients? Could it be to take the focus off the number of GPs committing fraud on a regular basis but continuing to practice elsewhere? Or to cover up the fact that some of our HCPs aren't actually as well educated as we're led to believe. They may have a few letters after their names and have ticked all the right boxes on the test sheets, but it doesn't actually mean that what they've been taught is correct.

I think the word belies the real attitude of some HCPs who are in the job purely for the money but who have no real interest in people or the impact of poor health on their lives.

And so perhaps if we patients continue to think of ourselves as burdens on the NHS that just might help cover up the chronic illness the NHS is suffering from - it's called upmyowna**itis

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Celmacmat. Interesting the point about the NHS not being prepared to pay for GAD tests to sort out LADAs from mis-diagnosed T2s. I did a Google a while back and you will find that the Royal Devon and Exeter Foundation Trust do the test for only £20 plus any phlebotomy costs. Sadly this service is only available to the NHS. I've given up on my GP in this respect and have ordered c-peptide and GAD tests privately via a Google provider and it has cost just a bit more than the £20! Interestingly for the phlebotomy which will be done at my local hospital as a private patient the hospital will be paid £15. That sort of adds-up to £35 for GAD done thru the NHS; hardly that expensive as NHS costs go. May be it is subsidised somewhere but that's the sort of cost to the local PCT if the NHS did it. So, more money spent on more logical diagnostic tests might save money in the long-term versus unsuitable treatment.

Springdot

Another solution is get a billionaire to give every person in the country £1 million that would cost them around £60 million or 2 premiership players we could all then pay for everything and poverty, homelessness would be taken care of in 1 fell swoop

nice idea but there are more than 60 people in the country, so it might cost a little bit more than this.