Gastric Bypass?

MrsG1

Would you consider having a gastric bypass to help your diabetes? I think it only helps with type 2 (but may be wrong) but is it something you would do?

Elc1112

I wouldn't personally, but then that's just me. I find I put weight on easily if I am not careful but my weight has always been in the healthy range. I guess if I struggled more with my weight and was overweight then I would think differently. Even still, I think I'd exhaust all my other options before going for it.

hallii

There was a time when I thought I might have one. I asked my doctor and he said "You are not fat enough" so I said " If I put a lot more weight on can I have one then?" "No" he said "Because you would be being stupid and I wouldn't refer you". That was the end of that conversation.

I am glad I never had one, the results are not always as expected, and some people spend the rest of their lives in pain and with various ailments caused by lack of vitamins/minerals etc.

It can be partially reversed, but some bits are cut off and thrown away, so you would always be worse off than before you started.

My old doctor, now retired, once said to me " A major part of my job as a GP is saving patients from surgery that may or may not work, may or may not be necessary and usually results in something else going wrong".

H

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I have had one over a year now, lost 5 stone, diabetes they keep saying cured but we all know its not the case. Hb1ac under 5, blood pressure now too low not high :lol: and my Kidney disease has stopped progressing. Best thing I ever had done but its not an easy decision to make I miss any type of fizzy juice and still cannot eat fluffy type foods or anything that can block my small stomach. I live on Robinsons and tea and still get sick regularly if I eat the wrong type of food.

MrsG1

I will be honest and say I had a gastric bypass as there is a huge incidence of diabetes in my family and I had pre diabetes. I don't regret my decision personally but wondering if it is a suggestion for my husband. I met him three weeks before my op (bad timing but what will you do!!!). I don't know if he is type 1 or type 2 yet but trying to look into all options. I have a friend who had type 2 diabetes and had a gastric bypass and all seems well.

MrsG1

I lost eight stone so it was the right decision for me but not right for everyone I guess. I'm nearly three years out.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Can you feel the gastric bypass? As in do you feel different after its happened? x

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
MrsG1 I am the same some days I feel like I can alomost manage a proper size portion but then days I struggle with a slight bit of toast its very strange.

Una

I had Gastric bypass 3 months ago,
feeling fine,
but can i feel it? yes I can if you follow the do not eat and drink at the same time or within 1hr of each other the restriction kicks in hard and 5-6 large mouthfuls is sufficient( i take 20 -30 small mouthfuls from a tea spoon and chew chew chew) any more or un-chewed i get conic indigestion type feeling, or if it is too high in sugar or fat, feel ikky.
I can eat more if it is slider food- ie wet- stew, sauce, or if i drink breaking the rules( i sometimes forget) but even so i am aware of the restriction most of the time even when drinking as it hits the pouch and bumps. like bath water when you get in but soon settles and goes down the plug hole. :crazy:

I am off all Db meds and control with diet and i now have chocolate some days and bloods are fine.

MrsG1

I am three years out now. If I eat too much then I get very full and can be sick if not careful but in the same way as if I'd continued to eat way past my full point previously. I can't "feel" the bypass otherwise though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't get my head around the idea of cutting out 2/3rds of the small intestine, which seems bonkers to me. You are surely going to get vitamin/mineral deficiency in the long run? Also I couldn't put myself in the hands of the medical profession for the rest of my life like that. The bands that are reversible seem a much safer idea, but I hear they don't work as well.

MrsG1

I made the decision for personal reasons and don't regret my decision for a minute. The bands don't work to treat diabetes in the same way as a bypass as your plumbing is changed for the bypass. The band can help with weight loss but as soon as it's removed/loosened many people put all the weight back on anyway.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First hubby ate so little that his stomach shrank naturally.. At 24 he was a 26'' waist when I met him...
He just had never ate a proper meal till he met me and family.
I will always remember my dad cooking dinner and him just not being able to eat even a 1/3rd of it.

Sorry people... After having one hubby with a shrunk stomach and one that has an expanded stomach...

I am so sorry... But you can do your own bypass but stopping eating so much!!! Your brain needs educating to control your eating habits...

I so, so wish my hubby now could limit his food.... And reeducate his brain... But he been like it since living with his parents.. Same with furst hubby... He wasnt fed properly as a child, teenager and it contnued as an adult.

I wish so much that parents didnt influence childrens food choices but they do... If you are having to consider and have bypasses.. There is a huge likelihood that your thoughts and lifestyle being passed on one way or another to your children...

It hurts me horribky to think that larger persons needing bypasses could be giving thought and living processes on to tour children to also suffer...

Apologies for lecturing... But having luved with one person for 15 years who had so shrunk his stomach naturally that he just could not eat a normal meal... And another person for same amount of time... Who has expanded his stomach...

Do you not ever think about your upbringing and lifestyles?? Are you passing your food and eating habits on to your children..i have seen so many programmes on 45 stone people, 60 stone that I really firmly believe that bypasses may well work for an individual... But what about your children and others that have got used to having excessive foods too!!

I am size 10, lean and muscly. I serve the same food for hubby... Just that he always been educated since birth to have huge portions... I also dont dnack unless need to for sugar levels.. I dont know what he buys and eats on journeys to and at work....

Please can I ask on this posting that even if you personally cant eat normal portions... Let your children eat normal portions... Your children could have **** life ahead of them due to your genes and your lifestyles..

I wish I could contribute more towards this posting, but in all honesty from living with two extremes and being 'norm!' myself... I just so wish that people could see what they are passing on to children too...

MrsG1

I'm confused. What part of this thread makes you think I'd over feed my kids?! I don't have any yet but I will do everything in my power to teach them well and feed them healthy food, but also educate them so they make better choices than I did.

You talk about your husband. Can't you give him smaller portions?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just solely from seeing one hubby that had naturly shrunk his stomach to one person that naturally has expanded his..... Both have had bad food and health education from their parents..

Not having a go at anybody in particular but it is concern that all gastro band people on tv have had parents and or other relatives too large too.... And some gastro people are too large to get out of bed and having to have others feeding them..

From living with one under eater... To being normal myself... To now living with an over eater... I would kljust really want to pass in my thoughts that if somebody considering or needing a gastro band they have had that education of overeating from somehere.

We have a hugely expanding---lol! Diabetic population...

I have never seen a large person on tv with or trying to get a gastro band with a thin family relative sat next to them...

MrsG1

donnellysdogs said:
Just solely from seeing one hubby that had naturly shrunk his stomach to one person that naturally has expanded his..... Both have had bad food and health education from their parents..

Not having a go at anybody in particular but it is concern that all gastro band people on tv have had parents and or other relatives too large too.... And some gastro people are too large to get out of bed and having to have others feeding them..

From living with one under eater... To being normal myself... To now living with an over eater... I would kljust really want to pass in my thoughts that if somebody considering or needing a gastro band they have had that education of overeating from somehere.

We have a hugely expanding---lol! Diabetic population...

I have never seen a large person on tv with or trying to get a gastro band with a thin family relative sat next to them...

Great reply! I hate people trying to educate others when they are clearly not educated themselves! Hugely insulting and ignorant.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ooh believe me I tried smaller portions, but his brain educated to larger ones!!!

Perhaps this is personal to me... As hubby not hugely obeses... But too fat for me to consider healthy...
His dad had heart attacks from 54.. He almost 47.. He could be healthy, but I cant see damage he doing to his heart, liver etc.... When I try to look affer myself, it annoys me that he concerns himself over what my blood levels are... But not about what he does to himself.

He learnt his food habits, as me, as 1st hubby from his parents. 1st hubby was lucky if he got more than 1 piece of toast a day up to him leaving home....

I not accusing anybody directly of fattening up their kids... But to try and ask that if people wanting a gastro band or needing one... Are they living with a larger person... Were they brought up with larger people ... Are they likely to pass their thoughts on to their children if they have them... Know you dont...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good to get a heated response of accusing me of being ignorant...

Honestly, i don't...
I myself size 10, hba1c 6.6 and no complications after 27 years..

I have not lectured on low carbing, low fatting etc ... Just my observations from watching people in 'eat as much as want carverys', tv and own experiences... Definitely not medically acclaimed researched ones..

Purely day to day observances of life and being a purely straightforward, honest, thought provoking non large person...

Glad to be accused of being offensive etc... Next time you see or hear about a gastric bypass you may well thonk of what my thoughts were as a diabetic normal sized person,..

Thought provocation can be a great thing.. I do actually listen to and read all sides of a story... And enjoy somebody being able to give me reasins and their thoughts behind my posting being offensive or ignorant..

MrsG1

donnellysdogs said:
First hubby ate so little that his stomach shrank naturally.. At 24 he was a 26'' waist when I met him...
He just had never ate a proper meal till he met me and family.
I will always remember my dad cooking dinner and him just not being able to eat even a 1/3rd of it.

Sorry people... After having one hubby with a shrunk stomach and one that has an expanded stomach...

I am so sorry... But you can do your own bypass but stopping eating so much!!! Your brain needs educating to control your eating habits...

I so, so wish my hubby now could limit his food.... And reeducate his brain... But he been like it since living with his parents.. Same with furst hubby... He wasnt fed properly as a child, teenager and it contnued as an adult.

I wish so much that parents didnt influence childrens food choices but they do... If you are having to consider and have bypasses.. There is a huge likelihood that your thoughts and lifestyle being passed on one way or another to your children...

It hurts me horribky to think that larger persons needing bypasses could be giving thought and living processes on to tour children to also suffer...

Apologies for lecturing... But having luved with one person for 15 years who had so shrunk his stomach naturally that he just could not eat a normal meal... And another person for same amount of time... Who has expanded his stomach...

Do you not ever think about your upbringing and lifestyles?? Are you passing your food and eating habits on to your children..i have seen so many programmes on 45 stone people, 60 stone that I really firmly believe that bypasses may well work for an individual... But what about your children and others that have got used to having excessive foods too!!

I am size 10, lean and muscly. I serve the same food for hubby... Just that he always been educated since birth to have huge portions... I also dont dnack unless need to for sugar levels.. I dont know what he buys and eats on journeys to and at work....

Please can I ask on this posting that even if you personally cant eat normal portions... Let your children eat normal portions... Your children could have **** life ahead of them due to your genes and your lifestyles..

I wish I could contribute more towards this posting, but in all honesty from living with two extremes and being 'norm!' myself... I just so wish that people could see what they are passing on to children too...

I have to ask, is your husband morbidly obese? You wish your husband could limit his food..........if he can't do this and he is unhealthily obese then surely the bypass is a good option for him. How old it he?