weetabix v natural yogurt

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But, but... the fruit's the exciting bit! :) Also, I can't help wondering if I'd be feeling hungry again in an hour, I'm used to a slow carb breakfast.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpro natural soya yoghurt £ 1.25 at Tesco for a big pot
I mix it with fresh raspberries and jordans jumbo porridge oats.

Finzi

carandol said:
But, but... the fruit's the exciting bit! :) Also, I can't help wondering if I'd be feeling hungry again in an hour, I'm used to a slow carb breakfast.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

True, the fruit is the best bit :)

Maybe wait til the summer - fruit is bound to be cheaper then, even in Sainsburys. Also, although the yoghurt is not a slow carb breakfast (or a not much of any carb breakfast, that's the point ;) ) as long as you use full fat yoghurt, which you must, it should keep you feeling full. To be fair, judging by how much Weetabix spikes people, including me, I'm not entirely sure how slow carb it is anyway.

I always like to have two things for breakfast (what can I say, I'm greedy lol). So I might have: yoghurt/fruit and a piece of flaxseed toast (<1 carb per two slices) with butter and marmite. Or a protein shake and yogurt. Or sausages and almond flour pancakes and sugar free maple syrup. Or bacon and scrambled egg. Or 20g porridge oats, plus sunflower seeds, flax seeds and ground almonds with almond milk, and a protein shake. Actually, my favourite probably is the flaxseed toast, because I miss toast and its just as nice, and only takes two minutes in the microwave.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow finzi that all sounds good, i have to try all that stuff i am going to look up how to make the toast now, i wonder if you could freeze blackberries then when they are in season go out picking millions of them freeze them and then have them until the season comes around again, you may need another freezer for them though so... but you also would get exercise bending and walking so its win win :)

Finzi

Just taken advice from my mother in law on the blackberries. She says what you need to do is freeze them individually. Meaning, when you get back from blackberrying, wash them obviously, and then lay them out on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the freezer until they are frozen. Then once they are frozen you can put them in a bag or tub or whatever. But if you don't freeze them individually like that they go mushy.

Microwave flax bread

2 tablespoon ground flax (I prefer golden, ie linseed, but it doesn't matter)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Little bit of sweetener
(Optional: little bit of oil or melted butter, maybe a teaspoonful. I use a teaspoon of coconut oil)
(Optional: sprinkling of sunflower or sesame seeds on top)

Mix very thoroughly with a fork in a microwaveable saucepan/food container
Microwave for 2 minutes til dry on top
When it comes out, put in toaster, on a fairly high setting cos it's quite moist and spongy.

My current favourite pancakes (but there are lots of other options)

50g full fat cream cheese
1 egg
Pinch of cinnamon and sweetener if you want

Mix together thoroughly to form batter. Make pancakes as usual.
(I tend to double the amounts so that I have enough for the following day. That amount gives 3 smallish crepe -type pancakes. )

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
omg the flax bread was awful lol really really bad, sorry honey :)

Finzi

Aww! Well, you must just be a rotten cook ;) ;)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

Finzi

Aahhh, do you mean it had bits of egg in it? Or that it was soggy? Did you toast it? Toasting is the important part

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes i toasted it but it tasted a bit like over cooked scrambled egg :( i havent got golden flax just normal and i didnt have sunflower seeds so...

Finzi

How odd. I think something must have gone wrong, because even if it isn't like perfect bread, it definitely shouldn't be like scrambled egg. Maybe the type of flax you use was different to mine. I would say it should look a little like a cross between a crumpet and a cake - quite soft and spongy (my son calls it my "sea sponge"). It is really important that you mix it very very well before cooking otherwise you do get bits of scrambled egg in it. The batter should resemble a cake batter (aaaah, cake mix! Scraping it out of the bowl and licking the spoon....memories)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love yogurt and I used to adore weetabix, it was my No1 favourite cereal :D 1 Weetabix with semi-skimmed milk, aahhhh I'm drooling just thinking of it, but can't eat any wheat evr again, because of Coeliac disease :(

RRB

Finzi

Andy12345 said:
yes i toasted it but it tasted a bit like over cooked scrambled egg :( i havent got golden flax just normal and i didnt have sunflower seeds so...

I've tried to attach a picture of what it should look like

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1363511750.731378.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1363511750.731378.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 700

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh dear mine didnt look like that hehe, maybee ive get some different flax and sesami seeds and try again, the mix which i mixed for ages was more like runny grainy mush lol doh!

Finzi

Hmmm, runny, well it definitely shouldn't be runny. You did use a tablespoon for the flax, not a dessert spoon? (which is what you'd use to eat your cereal). (Sorry to be patronizing lol). And they have to be fairly heaped tablespoonfuls, as well. It definitely sounds like there wasn't enough flax, if it was runny (and that might explain why it was eggy, as well, if there wasn't enough flax versus egg). I can sprinkle sunflower and pumpkin seeds on the batter before cooking it and they stay on the top - it's thick enough for that.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
How do you patronise an idiot, there's a difference between table spoon and cereal spoon? And my cereal spoon wasn't heaped either lol... Men tsk tsk, I'll try again :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easi Yo is your (my) friend.

Seriously, half the cost of a supermarket yogurt, and nicer.

Finzi

Brunneria said:

Which one do you use? I'd happily do Easi Yo but I haven't yet seen one with lower carb than the full fat Greek yoghurt that I buy (3.2g carb/100g)

philc

Finzi said:
Brunneria said:

Which one do you use? I'd happily do Easi Yo but I haven't yet seen one with lower carb than the full fat Greek yoghurt that I buy (3.2g carb/100g)

Try the Lidl Greek Style 10% fat natural yogurt - 2.8g carb/100g. It's also quite good value at £1.58 for 1000g.