Embarassing hypos...

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was in a supermarket today, when I felt a hypo coming on. (Why do they always happen at the checkout?) I popped a glucose tablet in my mouth and started chewing, thinking of the snack I'd bought which would get me right again as soon as I was out of the shop. While I was doing this, my other hand (apparently working on its own agenda, unconnected to my brain), was taking the shopping out of my basket and putting it in my bag, while the shop assistant looked at me open-mouthed, before saying "I haven't scanned those yet!"

"Sorry, not thinking straight," I mumbled, before getting my shopping out again. As I was leaving I saw her roll her eyes at the guy at the next checkout in a "what an idiot" sort of way, while I slunk off, feeling like one.

Anyone else had embarrassing hypo experiences?

vespa

Thankfully no, it would be educational for them if you let them know about Diabetes and irrational responses that can happen with hypos and show them your diabetes cards, one more person each day will be educated and be more understanding, one day it could be them.

katto

Apparently I shouted at a policeman who then got scared off after trying to help my family deal with the hypo I was having whilst staying at a holiday cottage in small village in lake district. He was passing by when the ambulance was called so popped on to check things were ok but think he regretted that decision! To add to the commotion our pet dog had an accident on the floor of the cottage as she was terrified of everything going on!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
vespa said:
Thankfully no, it would be educational for them if you let them know about Diabetes and irrational responses that can happen with hypos and show them your diabetes cards, one more person each day will be educated and be more understanding, one day it could be them.

That's far too rational a thing to be thinking of when having an irrational episode! :) Sorting out my money was taking all my concentration. I did think of it afterwards, but it was too late by then.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I had one the other day yesterday, just before lunch one of the senior managers at my work was quizzing me on which projects I don't like working on, so I candidly told him. When he asked me why I told him that "I have a low tolerance for doing work that I don't want to do". And guess what? I've just been told I'm on one of those projects next. Oops.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Isn't it strange how many people experience hypo's whilst in a supermarket, fair to say I've had one or two hypo's in my time but nothing to embarrassing to report :)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had one in asda the other week, I was on a self checkout and drew out £20 cashback, walked out the shop then realised I'd left it! Wasn't there 2minutes later, some lucky wotsit grrr!

Karen JD

I had a hypo in a clothes shop and I had gone up an escalator and was so confused I couldn't find the way out! It knocks my confidence when something like that happens cos I worry I might do something stupid on my own somewhere again! Thankfully it doesn't happen often I have had a few occasions at work when I'm hypo and start getting confused and don't know what im doing. I don't know about others but I won't say anything to people and try to get better quick taking glucose hoping they won't notice.

deb100

Dislikes
being told what to do
I always get hypos when shopping with one of my daughters, always the same one, she isn't amused, I then get "lost" by wandering in circles.

Shaggydog

A few years ago now I went on a work outing to Thorpe Park. A colleague and I decided to go on the Colossuss ride, which we queued for an hour or so to get on. As we got closer to the ride, I realised that my BG was dropping, but I assumed that I would be ok to wait until after the ride was over. I was wrong! I got on with my colleague and we went round the ride, I remember nothing of it, and the next thing I know we are in the shop on the way out of the ride, and I am standing by the ice cream fridge, removing ice-creams and eating them. My colleague is standing next to me saying "Don't you think you ought to pay for those before you eat them?" Luckily an assistant came over and I was able to explain the situation, and they were very understanding, insisting that I did not need to pay for the ice-creams. It turns out that my colleague had done that while I was talking to the assistant. :clap:

On the way out of the shop I my colleague showed me the picture of us that was taken half way round the ride - I was white as a sheet, not looking at all concerned, either by the ride or the other passengers screaming around me. Pretty much like a zombie!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have the majority of mine in supermarkets, it's the bright lights, deciding what to buy and then the brain running out of glucose, I always try to shop after food or just make sure i'm not shopping for too long, saves some money.

Supermarkets = hypos in my book !!!

LittleFragge

My mum asked me to pop in to the shop to pick a chicken up for tea, she said she would wait in the car. I can't remember much, but 30 mins later, my mum come looking for me, she found me wondering around the supermarket with a basket full of sweets, chocolate and chrisps, but no chicked. My mum realized straighg away what was up and helped me out. Longest shopping trip for a chicken.

bozy55

Ha these posts remind me of a hypo I had in work ,I work in one of those pocket tap places in the home shopping dept anyway I realized it was going to be a bad one usual feelings and got the admin to put out a first aid call to pod and rang for some help , my boss came sprinting in the pod saying are you ok by this time I'm sat on the floor wondering what's going on, I saw in his hand was a father Xmas chocolate figure one of the large size ones I started to laugh and then they brought some lucazade and mars bars to aid me they all looked at my boss with his chocolate toy saying what is that for all he could was laugh along after I came round proper I showed him a leaflet on the things we use to help bring us round lol

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I think the best one I've had so far is in the middle of teaching my year 7 class about the Black death. I could feel it coming on but had no choice but to carry on teaching (30+ 11 year olds left in a classroom doesn't bear thinking about). Anyway, I'm not sure of the details (as I can't remember) but I must have appeared pretty out of it staggering around, slurring my words and generally appearing a bit 'drunk'. So the kids now had something to gossip about (they don't know I'm Diabetic and so they are convinced that I must have been drunk), I even had once concerned pupil (with learning disabilities) come to talk to me during a following break time. The blank faces when I explained to the the next lesson was quite funny and led, somehow, to them linking it the Black Death.