Driving on Exenatide

nobody

Hi, I have just had my annual review and was told by the nurse that I had to check my glucose before I drive or if I have a accident I could get into trouble with the police. The form I have been asked to sign seems to only mention Insulin not Exenatide.

The scary thing is she did not seem to know what Exenatide is and seemed to believe it is insulin because it is injectable. Can someone clear up this question?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Although Exenatide (Byetta) is not insulin it works by helping the pancreas produce more insulin and one of the side effects listed as common is hypoglycaemia so testing before driving would seem sensible to me, and is probably included in the DVLA recommendations.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Just to add.I am on Byetta and was told Hypo's were only a risk IF Byetta is used in conjunction with drugs such as gliclazide but not if used in it's own entireity.you could test however if you are at all concerned though for peace of mind.