Bed Time snacks

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we've had the breakfast thread so what do you do in the evening to combat the dreaded dawn phenomenon??

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
can only think of 2 options. Take extra basal and have a snack to last till dawn phenomenon starts, that way the extra basal will counter act it. This may mean reducing bolus at meal times. Other options have a pump so out can be set on extra basal when dp stats and on waking reduce it again to normal

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Susiebabs

Since moving to a low carb/high fat lifestyle I find (much to my own astonishment) that I'm not hungry at supper time anymore!

Used to be a two slices of whole grain bread - one with marmite and one with a scrape of reduced sugar jam - but no more LOL

Very occasionally if I haven't been hungry for (and therefore haven't eaten) dinner I'll have what I call a 'fat cocoa' later on, made with double cream, coconut oil, a touch of sweetener and some organic cocoa powder! Delish!

Haven't really experienced 'dawn phenomenon' since changing what I eat, which is also a plus!! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesnt matter what I eat or dont eat my D P wont go away :evil:
CAROL

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
brett said:
can only think of 2 options. Take extra basal and have a snack to last till dawn phenomenon starts, that way the extra basal will counter act it. This may mean reducing bolus at meal times. Other options have a pump so out can be set on extra basal when dp stats and on waking reduce it again to normal

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

I'm not on insulin yet. Don't want to be either so am trying all I can to reduce my BG readings.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Susiebabs said:
Haven't really experienced 'dawn phenomenon' since changing what I eat, which is also a plus!! :)

Not everyone suffers from the Dawn phenomenon, thats why its called a "phenomenon" I do occasionally get a higher fasting reading than normal but I think thats just ~ normal?

The reason for your not experiencing it now Susiebabs may just mean you are better controlled than you were regardless of what you eat :D

Susiebabs

Sid Bonkers said:
The reason for your not experiencing it now Susiebabs may just mean you are better controlled than you were regardless of what you eat :D

Normally I'd agree with you Sid, but last year I had 6 months where I lost 40lbs on a healthy low fat / low GI diet. While I was able to reduce my hba1c down from over 10 to the mid 7s I couldn't get it lower and frequently had high readings in the morning. Sometimes up in the 12-13 bracket (but always around 6-7 before my main meal). Since changing my approach to carbs and fat my morning bloods are consistently in the low 5s and move between 4-6 throughout the day.

It's just my experience though, and if thus forum teaches us nothing else it certainly confirms that we're all different I'm terms of how our bodies react to what we consume! :)