Confused by my BG after forgetting insulin

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

So im newly diagnosed T1 in February this year. I like to think ive taken to it fairly well and haven't toooooo much of a problem controlling it. I carb count with novorapid, and take 3units levemir every evening.

but today i have no diea what is going on!

This morning i got up at 6am as usual and tested by BG. It was 9.4 which is a little higher than i usually like in the morning but nothing too alarming. I ate breakfast, porridge at 44g carb. im on a 1:12g ratio so USUALLY i would take 3 units novorapid for that........ but today i forgot. I only remembered at lunch time when i was doing my BG test, 11.45am. I had a minor panic thinking it would be extremely high, but it was only 6.9 I checked again on my other hand to be sure and that came in at 6.7 :***:

how is that possible? i know im probably in the honeymoon period, but surely i should expect SOME rise in my BG, not a drop! i have a desk job, i certainly didnt have an active morning! It has made me wary of taking my lunch insulin in case i go hypo, but i have so im just going to keep an eye on it

in the past when i have found im high ive never taken a correction dose. i just ride it out and then within 2 or 3 hours i will have dropped back to about 5 or 6 mmol/l. is this something i should be discussing with my DSN? I havent had any contact with them in about a month now as they said i was clearly coping fine now and could potter along on my own. is this the sort of thing i should bring up or is it not worth it?

sorry this is so long and rambling. im just mroe than a little confused!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lord I just noticed the typos. Clearly I'm so confused I can't even type anymore

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If it's a one off, I wouldn't worry too much. Continue to monitor your levels and if there is a pattern, speak to your nurse. There are many reasons why you may get some odd readings for a day. Illness, stress or lots of others.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday afternoon I had a similar thing where I was going to inject after as I had no concept of the carbs so wanted to monitor how much I rose.......4 hours later I'd dropped 1.5 mmol/l. It was a rocky road type thing, there SHOULD have been a rise

I'm not doubting I'm diabetic, my diagnosis BG of over 30 proves it! But I'm wondering if my levemir is wrong or something, but 3units isn't much. My dietician was surprised I would drop from 10 to 6 without a correction dose when I saw her a month ago. Honeymoon period gone mad!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Whilst in the honeymoon period you can get some very weird results. I'm going through it myself. Sometimes, your pancreas will kick in and your levels will drop. Other times, it doesn't want to play. Just keep monitoring. As long as there is not a steady prolonged rise or fall, I wouldn't worry too much. That's just me though, if you're concerned, give your nurse a call to put your mind at ease !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They've continued to drop all afternoon. I'm not hypo, but I get it up to 6 and in an hour it drops to 4 again. Rinse and repeat! I only took 3 units at lunch so who knows what it's playing at today

I was 46 when I went into hospital, nice to know someone else was kind of in the same situation (not good good,you get what I mean) I'm not understanding the whole honeymoon phase at the moment I was 6 yesterday and had three pieces of toast for my supper and the. Straight after I was 3.1 :?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up in a panic the other day realising that I had forgotten my Levemir the night before. I checked my BG expecting sky high levels and it was only a fraction over what it would normally be. I continued my daily routine of NovoRapid at meal times and didn't take a late dose of Levemir and my BG levels stayed at just above my usual readings for the entire day!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have done 3 units with my dinner, I did just 2 as i was unsure. I also decided to take advantage of my situation and ate chocolate. Yet I'm STILL at 4.3. Usually id be pleased but I want to go to bed in 15 minutes and I just can't get an acceptable level for going to Sleep!

Looks like a 3am check for me tonight!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have a hypo stopper and something like toast or couple digestives or porridge.
Set alarm during night.. 2 or 3am. And test.
Do your pens only give full unit doses.. Maybe worthwhile asking for 1/2 unit dose pens at moment?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont bolus for the long term snack... Better to go high than low at nite just to be sure..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Chocolate will not act as quickly to get levels up...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that's what I'm doing right now, having a pre bed snack. The chocolate wasn't a hypo stopper, it was just because I fancied it. But that was 4 hours ago now so I figured it would have impacted by now. Apparently not!

Going to check in with my DSN tomorrow so will ask about 1/2 unit pen then!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hope you're in bed and sleeping now!! Hope you keep out of hypoland on your dreamland express!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha thanks! I was sleeping until my 3am alarm :( 7.8 now so still a touch lower than I expected but not too low thankfully!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has a chat with my DSN. she's told me to stop taking my insulin which I'm going to w joy while it lasts! Down to 3 units levimer per day as usual and then to monitor my BG. If it goes above 10 I'm to give 1 or 2 units Novorapid to bring it down. Seems a little bizarre as I avoid go e above 9 if I can help it but oh we'll, less injections for a little while for me :)

I also pick up my 1/2 unit pen on Monday so that was great advice thanks!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good for 1/2 unit pens....

Depending if you go above 9.. ( how high ) be careful about giving 2 units of fast acting to bring you down....
I dont know what your correction factor actually is... But as an average only nurses generally would start off thinking 1 unit would bring you down 3bg's.. So if you were say 9, and you gave yourself 2 units you would risk going in to hypoland....

Good that you got hold of DSN and you got her advice to change doses and get the 1/2 unit pens. Longterm make sure you have back up pens as well.. 1 of each. As you never know when one may be chewed by a dog, broken by sitting on it accidentally etc.. Dont bin your old one unit pen, as that could be a back up oen in the meantime..

Glad you stayed on dreamland express without stopping off at the station marked hypoland!!!

By way what longterm snack did you have before bed? Seemed to work good??

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm definitely keeping a hold of the 1unit pen, I actually have 3 of them so once I have a 1/2 unit too I should be set for back ups!

I had 2 small toasted scotch pancakes with butter. Usually I just have 1 but last night was a 2 pancake night! They're about 14g carb each depending on brand/home made

I know I'm very sensitive to insulin so 1 unit takes me down 3.5 so I'm just going to keep an eye on that.