Anyone been told you have to buy pump batteries now?

VickiT11979

I've had an Animas pump for 4 years & am about to switch to a new Animas Vibe in 2 days as it's out of warranty.

I phoned to request new supplies & Animas say that due to changes in postage regulations they can no longer supply the Duracell Energiser Lithium AA batteries & patients need to buy these themselves.

In normal use one of these batteries lasts 4-5 weeks, but I want to self fund CGM, and when I used this for 4 weeks on a trial basis the batteries only lasted 7-10days. I'm worried about the extra cost of about 40-50 of these batteries a year as CGM is expensive enough!

I can see them available on the Internet for cheaper than the shops, but these retailers post via 1st or 2nd class, and I can't for the life of me understand how this is different from Animas posting them to me - they're usually in a large box with cartridges & infusion sets, not in a Jiffy bag.

Has anyone else been told your pump company can't supply batteries, and what reasons have they given for this?

iHs

I still get my lithium batteries for the Combo delivered to me with all my sets through Parcel Force and with the battery sticker on the box.

Must admit I do find this battery thing a bit weird as one company seems to be able to deliver and yet another one can't.

VickiT11979

I've just had a look on the Royal Mail website & they do seem to be saying they won't accept lithium ion batteries through 1st class, 2nd class, Parcelforce UK or special delivery http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-items.
Perhaps other transport companies are accepting them & it depends on which company they use?

Thing is, if no-one will accept lithium batteries for air or road transport, how are the manufacturers going to supply them to shops across the country?

I don't know whether to try challenging Animas's decision, or just buy a bulk supply of batteries online fast, before the companies stop sending them out! Not sure if I can get them VAT free if they're for medical use, have sent an e-mail to the company to ask. I have to fill in a VAT exemption form to buy the CGM sensors VAT free, will see if it's only for Animas or if I can print another copy & use it for other medical use items I have to buy myself.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If you have to fund your own batteries then I recommend you look at Budget Batteries which sell very cost effective batteries and I would advise rechargeable MiMH AA as they tend to last longer and are obviously much cheaper over a year.

http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/

VickiT11979

Thanks Sid, they certainly are a lot cheaper - are they any good though?

Lithium batteries are supposed to be the longest lasting (well Animas used to send Duracell & they claimed to be the world's most powerful battery), though I've never used rechargeable - have you compared them to lithium for lifespan? I could manage if it's not significantly less, but the pump + CGM really do drain them very fast.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The literature with my Medtronic says specifically not to use rechargeable batteries. I know that you cannot put part used batteries back in so that may be part of the reason.
(and my pump supplies here in France come by post and still include batteries but they aren't lithium (Varta 'industrial Alkaline)' )

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My cgm ... Abbott Navigator.. Pre implosion... They would only let you use their recommended batteries in it. Yes they up until implision sent them ok, but they were 1 watch battery and 2 AAA batterys. Depending on checking and recordings, and how dreadful the connectors were... You could be exchanging batteries every 10 days.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm relatively new with the insulin pump ( October 2012) but I was never given batteries. I always had to buy myself. Got a Medtronic paradigm veo and the only battery I should use is Energiser AAA.....that's at least what Medtronic rep told me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

VickiT11979

Have checked my Animas pump info & it says rechargeable's shouldn't be used, states Energiser Ultimate lithium are the ones recommended & I've checked with Which? & they say these lasted the longest of all those tested.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
No such problems with Medtronic batteries - delivered some to me in Feb ok.

Cody

Medtronic sent me them last month fine too riri. Stefano if u ask Medtronic next time u order inserted etc they will send u free batteries

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've got to place an order with Medtronic tomorrow ill let you know what they say

Sent from the [url=http://www.diabetes.co.u

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The reason you can not always use rechargeable batteries is the voltage is different

A standart aa battery will be 1.5v. Whereas rechargeables will be 1.2v. For most things this doentnt matter, but there is a change with some complex and precise electronics that the under voltage could cause a problem

clairebear86

I just use standard alkaline batteries .. There's an option to pick wen loading them on the pump .. So it should be ok to use any batteries, I used the lithium ones that were sent to me but they ran out so I didn't bother to call animas x

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas just told me the same thing and said the change is due to new EU regs regarding lithium batteries. They told me just to get them from my local supermarket instead but I'm not happy about the decision. Not sure if it's just cost cutting on their part.

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic are still sending battery's out

Sent from the [url=http://www.diabetes.co.u

iHs

JANROU said:
So are accu chek, new labelling on top of parcel

Really ????

If that's the case, the Combo remote/bg handset eats up the lithium AAA batteries like nobodies business and usually needs replacement batteries every 30 days. Time to saving up the pennies.....