Best oral antidote for hypos

Skipper77

Have been Type 1 now for just over 50 years and am starting to lose the warning signs of hypos. What's the quickest reacting antidote to a hypo, given that I don't get the warning signs as early as I used to? Just came back from Berlin yesterday and nearly had a wobble in the airport. Air travel doesn't help given the security situation and that you can't carry fizzy drinks eg Lucozade.

Thanks

Skipper77

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Lucozade is very good but as you say, can't always carry it everywhere. Jelly babies ? On another note, I've read that if you run your BG levels a little high for a few weeks, your hypo recognition will improve ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have dextrose tablets in all my bags, coat pockets. I hate them but they work well for me. The main problem is if they decide to fall out of an open packet and disintegrate so you end up with sweet chalky dust :lol:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anything I can get my hands on!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Blackcurrant flavour 'only' dextrose tablets for me .
"Or"
Minature Jelly Babies in a kiddies size packet for me .

Percy Pigs eh? - thanks mo1905 will remember this one :thumbup:

Anna .

Embabe25

I use the anything I can get my hands on method. Usually go overboard though.

I keep orange dextrose in my pocket and bag but have found sometimes even a whole pack doesn't do the job.

Love haribo jelly babies but find it hard not to dip into the bag even when I'm not hypoing :-(

Em x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
7 dolly mixtures... You can get great 3kg bags of these on internet so cheap...

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ Bisto 44
Ha ha no mine are contour next. You gotta make sure you grab the right container though as I've noticed there isn't alot of sugar in test strips and there hard to chew and digest! Lol:mrgreen:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

D

Deleted member 45091

My best by far is pure orange juice in the small cartons, usually around 20 grams of carbs per carton. You can get different flavours such as Ribena etc just make sure there not the sugar free ones, then maybe a boost bar if needed never really liked the sugar tablets.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Marks & Spencer's fruit gums or wine gums are 5 carbs per sweet. Four sweets fix a hypo, under 3.8mmol perfectly!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AMBrennan

Glucojuice - like Lucozade but comes in 60ml bottles (priced at just £2 if you want an incentive to minimise hypos).
For correcting non-hypo but below-target BG look for things in the baking /kid's lunchbox isle where you tend to get individually packaged 15g carb servings.

ilnar

mini reeses cups, delicious and comes with bonus penuts!
the disadvantage, of course, it the temptation to hypo slightly so i can have a couple....

traceylill

Lucozade is deinitely the best for me. So now when I am flying I carry 100 ml bottles that I have filled with Lucozade. These bottles can be bought no problem. Hope that helps