smoking

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Hello all,

Chance of a lifetime here! I need a good shoeing of the pants to stop smoking. I know it's wrong and require a bit of encourgement. Unload, if you will as I am stupid.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
:idea: You could try not buying any.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mart

I smoked for 35 years (gave up 6 years ago). Looking back, I can't believe that I fooled myself into thinking I'd get away with it.

Nobody thought I'd be able to give up - least of all me :shock: but I actually found it quite easy once I was determined to do it.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Mart. I'm not here to scold. Nobody can tell you to give up, you know the dangers but don't care. Been there buddy. I am 47, started smoking about 14 but have been smoke free for 3 and half years. It's tough, I tried all sorts, patches etc. Eventually, went to docs and got Champix. These are tablets. Had them for approx 10 weeks. They won't work for all but, I'm still smoke free.
Also, not sure what phone you got but I downloaded MLC ( My Last Cigarette ) from App store. It really helped. Good luck bud ;-)

foreverdelayed

Best of luck to you. Cessation sessions can be really helpful for some people. Sometimes it helps to feel like your not alone!
Don't put yourself down too much if you have a blip. Its so addictive that your brain relies on it for certain functions. Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Phew!

Feeling a bit better already. I haven't touched one today. Mo, I have a blackberry. It's a bit pants, but the latest model. I can't abide the touch-screen androids or i-phones, I'm forever doing something accidentally. Thanks to all for your input so far, re: not buying any, tongue in cheek, I get it. My wife also smokes, which makes things doubly hard. I'll see if we can 'lean' on each other and help each other.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Just had a heart to heart with Mrs. Martwolves, she wants to pack it in as well. Result! Thanks for your honesty, I wanted damnation and vitriol, but the truh speaks volumes and I've got to man up and do it myself. After all no one is forcing them into my gob!

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
When I gave up I had the added incentive of a pact - whoever sinned had to buy the other a slap up meal at the restaurant of their choice. I sinned twice and consequently couldn't afford to buy fags as a result. It did the trick. I also bought a bike and started cycling and, once i'd stopped coughing, quickly felt a lot better. That was a long time ago, before she became Mrs Stuffedolive.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Good way to incentivise, stuffedolive! I dislike olives normally, but you're ok ;)

DavidWC

It's bloody hard giving up I smoked from when I was about 13 until I was 63 one night I couldn't breath my daughter took me to a&e and they kept me in for a week that was four years a go my daughter told me she'd hang me if I had another fag I haven't had one since that week in hospital and my daughter fritend the life out of me I found it easy to stop that time and I still don't wont to smoke now but before that week in hospital I lost count of the amount of times I tried to stop I hope you mange to quit good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Martwolves :)
There is no way on earth that you will stop smoking.
Just take a look at yourself. I rest my case.
I gave up about 30 years ago, just like that, because I can I did and did not need any help.
As for you a person that is busy,with no brain that can stop itself smoking.
Then he said "heart to Heart". Its swapping "lung to lung" you should be planning.
And do not let any one call you a" IDIOT" like on previous threads.

Sorry Martwolve, I did not mean to say all that rubbish it must be the drink talking.( to much coffee )
I know how much time you spend helping others and you need a fag to keep you going.

O dear should I send this He might think I digging his grave "Best Not"

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
izzzi said:
Hi,Martwolves :)
There is no way on earth that you will stop smoking.
Just take a look at yourself. I rest my case.
I gave up about 30 years ago, just like that, because I can I did and did not need any help.
As for you a person that is busy,with no brain that can stop itself smoking.
Then he said "heart to Heart". Its swapping "lung to lung" you should be planning.
And do not let any one call you a" IDIOT" like on previous threads.

Sorry Martwolve, I did not mean to say all that rubbish it must be the drink talking.( to much coffee )
I know how much time you spend helping others and you need a fag to keep you going.

O dear should I send this He might think I digging his grave "Best Not"

You've been challenged Mart lol !! You gonna prove wrong ;-)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Well - that looks like a gauntlet chucked down. I still haven't had a fag since my post.

I don't know if izzzi was showing a bit of devilment, or giving some back-handed encouragement?

This was the type of post I've been waiting for. Game on!

I'll think of this post if I get the urge to smoke again.

So, thanks for the comments

Mart.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually Mart, :)
I did give up 30 years ago. My good neighbour friend said he would give up smoking and save the money in a jar as a kind of bet. Me being a bit stubborn said I shall give up without any gimmick, To my surprise I did give there and then.
My friend started back on cigs within a week.
I hope you are a success
By the way 30 years on you still miss that first drag. so don't worry if you get the urge now and then. :oops:

Roy :)
My wife has just called me a "big headed git" as least the chimmys not there any more.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Roy

I have given up for 18 months before, just on wilpower.

I know the risk of smoking with diabetes, I just wanted something to regain my focus and you, sir are on! No fags for me...ooosh!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't know if you've seen this Marty from Diabetes UK:

Smoking and diabetes

Almost everybody is aware of the dangerous link that smoking has with diseases such as cancer, but are you conscious of its connection with diabetes?

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.

Everyone risks damaging their health through smoking a cigarette, pipe or cigar, but for people with diabetes the risk may be even greater. If you have diabetes you already have an increased chance of developing cardiovascular disease, such as a heart attack, stroke or circulatory problems in the legs. Combine this with smoking (which can also double your risk of complications) and you make the chances of developing these diseases even higher.

Smoking:

when you have diabetes can make it more likely that you will develop neuropathy (nerve damage), nephropathy (kidney damage) and retinopathy (eye damage).

decreases the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues of the body, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
increases your LDL (low density 'bad' lipids) cholesterol level and lowers HDL (high density 'good' lipoproteins). This can make blood cells stick together, which can attract cholesterol and fats to stick to the artery walls making it more difficult for blood to circulate. This can damage and constrict (narrow) the blood vessels of the body (known as atherosclerosis) or cause a clot to form and possibly break away to travel round the body leading to a heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease or worsening of foot and leg ulcers.
increases your blood pressure by releasing adrenaline which causes blood vessels to constrict and the heart to beat faster.
raises blood glucose levels. This is probably due to the nicotine and other products involved in smoking which may cause insulin resistance (whereby insulin doesn't work properly) and stimulate stress hormones that can increase glucose levels.
So, like maintaining good blood glucose control, eating well, taking regular exercise and keeping to a healthy weight, giving up smoking is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your future health.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Thanks noble! Retiopathy really gives me the fear - big time. Thank you for that, I really appreciate it!

Smoke free since last night. Baby-steps, one day at a time.

Cheers

Mart.