What has been your highest reading?

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
What has been your highest BS reading to date post-meal and what had you eaten?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
The highest I've been is recorded as 33 or high Acording to my meter meal steak n sausage beans carrots hba1c 83 was fairly ill that week 2 days prior to hospital admission

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
carina62 said:
Sorry what reading is that in mmols ?

I would guess Jims reading of 33 would be a meter test in mmol/L and the HbA1c of 83 is IFCC - mmol/mol which works out at 9.7% in the old % - DCCT.

My own high was after my doctor failed to get a bp reading and sent me to hospital two days after diagnosed with T2 and my random bloods were 29.9 mmol/L and my HbA1c was 12.6%. Oddly enough I felt fine but It was also found that the two halves of my heart were beating out of phase with each other and I had a pulse of 188bpm. I had to have my heart stopped chemically and restarted again to get it back in rhythm :shock:

This was due to my having run such high bg levels, but I repeat I felt fine when I walked into hospital, I did get a bit scared when the triage nurse told me immediately to lay down on a stretcher and not move and wheeled me straight into the Resuscitation Unit ward!!

JennyBee

I was about 40 when I was diagnosed when I was 11, never been that high since. Thank god. I'm 28 now and I think that the highest I've been in maybe the past 6month is about 9 after a meal.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
carina62 said:
Sorry what reading is that in mmols ?

I would guess Jims reading of 33 would be a meter test in mmol/L and the HbA1c of 83 is IFCC - mmol/mol which works out at 9.7% in the old % - DCCT.

My own high was after my doctor failed to get a bp reading and sent me to hospital two days after diagnosed with T2 and my random bloods were 29.9 mmol/L and my HbA1c was 12.6%. Oddly enough I felt fine but It was also found that the two halves of my heart were beating out of phase with each other and I had a pulse of 188bpm. I had to have my heart stopped chemically and restarted again to get it back in rhythm :shock:

This was due to my having run such high bg levels, but I repeat I felt fine when I walked into hospital, I did get a bit scared when the triage nurse told me immediately to lay down on a stretcher and not move and wheeled me straight into the Resuscitation Unit ward!!

It was higher that night but all my meter would say its high as it only goes upto 33 by the looks of it my hba1c was week after discharge at gp ordered blood tests 83 can't understand why they did not do it In hospital had loads of blood tests and my discharge notes had them on but not hba1c results

timbo17

My highest reading so far is 33.1 mmol.
After 28 units of Lantus SoloStar the previous night,
the day (25/03/13) began as follows:-
Before breakfast reading 22.7 mmol, took 22 units of NovoRapid.
Missed lunchtime insulin and blood glucose test ? ? ?
Evening reading 33.1 mmol, took 26 units of NovoRapid.
Two hours later reading 14.3 mmol, took 20 units of Lantus SoloStar.
Before bed reading 8.7 mmol.
Next morning reading 8.0 mmol.
These readings are not that unusual for me.
Regards
Tim Seller.

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
27! but that seems ok since looking at the last posting.

19 in the last few weeks. I am convinced that the insulin I take doesn't suit me and that I am carb intolerant. But I don't seem able to convince my consultant. Have lots of other metabolic conditions which compete for treatment but no-one is able to look at wholistic picture.

auto-immune thyroid disease, migraine, fibromyalgia, depression (well who wouldn't). Crave sweet sugary foods a lot. Trying to do low carb..have cut out pasta, bread, etc.
last HbA1c was 12.2 but good cholesterol was 3.2.

kjw123

38 mmol when i was first diagnosed 22 years ago type 1. My levels were often around the 12 -15 mark until I was diagnosed with left ventrical heart failure now my bg is very irratic (goes high even without any food intake) but I'm told this could be due to my medication...very difficult to control it at the moment.

Just a point of thought for the young newly diagnosed diabetics...my Doctor believes the heart failure is due to being a long term diabetic...so keep your levels as good as you can.

pokertom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Salad cream, yuk yuk yuk. microwave ovens, they remove the art of cooking. Not being in control of my actions or errors Rather a perfectionist i'm afraid I like things right
As a new to using a meter why can't we use one international reading. To have two on such an important and what can be a life threatening position just use Hb or Mm. Also as a diagnosed type 2 (says my doc) when and what should I look for as a first awake reading is that immediately out of bed or half hour after. I get confused as my reading is usually 7 and sometimes up to 7.7 over the last month. Don't ever eat sweets , cakes or chocolate, never have . I use the Bayer contour next usb supplied by bayer via Diabetes.co.uk and I feel ok with it . Oh and i'm just 65 nice retirement present lol

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
pokertom said:
As a new to using a meter why can't we use one international reading. To have two on such an important and what can be a life threatening position just use Hb or Mm. Also as a diagnosed type 2 (says my doc) when and what should I look for as a first awake reading is that immediately out of bed or half hour after. I get confused as my reading is usually 7 and sometimes up to 7.7 over the last month. Don't ever eat sweets , cakes or chocolate, never have . I use the Bayer contour next usb supplied by bayer via Diabetes.co.uk and I feel ok with it . Oh and i'm just 65 nice retirement present lol

From what I have learned from this site is that high morning reading is sometimes your bg dropping low while your asleep and your liver dumping glucose to bring levels up I think I'm right on that called dawn phenomenon or might be from previous nights food and drink a lot of foods have carbs I was shocked at the amount of carbs in wholemeal bread and fruit n fibre cereal.
The differance between meter reading and hba1c is meter gives u a current bs reading ie if you had sugary food or drink or high carbs will show up fairly quickly but will drop again once medications have taken effect so u could be high in evening but been tight levels during day the hba1c will see what your overall levels have been my Bayer meter tells me I've been around 7.0 overall over last 14 days even tho I've had a few spikes up to 13 but generally my readings are 5 to 8 hope that explains it a little bit and hope I got my info right :lol: