Is anyone else sensitive to metformin and sitagliptin?

joeynomates

Hiya, I just wanted to know if anyone else has been sensitive to Metformin and Sitagliptin? I have suffered from severe gastric problems with Metformin and nightmares (plus other things) with Sitagliptin. Would appreciate anybody else's view on this topic as I am feeling fed up. Was going to try Victoza but the pharmacist put me off!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to have my Metformin dose reduced. I had a side effect where I suffered from taste displacement. In my case this meant that many foods tasted of burnt plastic.

joeynomates

Yes, I've had a foul taste too. Jaw ache is another thing I've noticed with the metformin. I think that deep down I just want to control it without the use of meds. My other problem is craving carbs! I managed to give up smoking. That was easy compared to this. I feel such a failure!

Yvonne8

Hi there just to let you know that I have been on both these medications together for about a year now and previously on the metformin alone. The Glucophage sr upset my tummy a lot more at first but now it's at a level I can live with so this could be the reduced carbs (not vlchf) or just my body getting used to it. The januvia is a different matter! At first it gave me jaw ache, headaches, unexplained tiredness, nightmares and I could go on....... But now I don't have any problems with it whatsoever! My body has obviously just got used to it and I feel very healthy indeed considering! You can either persevere or just have a word with your nurse I don't think there's a one size fits all answer but I hope you find something that fits your lifestyle a bit better.

EFL 43

Re: Metformin and possible side effects.

When you mentioned nightmares and Metformin I wasn't sure whether to say anything to my Dr. on Wed. when I see her. I considered nightmares but I couldn't remember a thing. Sometimes I would wake suddenly with a strange feeling that something or some one was coming at me, I sit up and feel as if I am being propelled or pushed. It can be very scary. Also I have woken many times (not so much now) and I would instantly see "something" an object such as a guitar, spider or whatever. It would last for a few seconds and fade away. It didn't frighten me as I became used to it.

Is it Metformin? I don't know what to say to my Dr. on Wed. Any ideas or am I going nuts.
:?
I see on the right side is

joeynomates

Thank you for your replies. Maybe I am not giving the meds enough time to work their magic. :D I got nightmares when I was taking sitigliptin, but I have recently suffered from severe watery stools and a feeling of being quite unwell while taking the metformin. I am not taking anything at the moment. Maybe it would be an idea to try again, just to see what happens :shock:

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
You should take metformin with food but sitagliptin you can take without

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Laney

Hi,
I have tried to take Metformin four times now and each time after about a week I start to feel weepy, excessively tired and really down, to the point of just not caring about anything anymore. It is just not possible to shake this mood off and although I know that Metformin are considered the safest option I just cannot cope with feeling like this.

I tried Sitigliptin and after just one tablet woke up in the middle of the night totally terrified with my herart racing, visible palpitations and was too afraid to take anymore.

M y Doctors treat me like a crazy person and shake their heads at me, so much so that I begin to doubt myself and wonder if I have a severe phobia of tablets and medication and I am just wasting their time but my partner has witnessed how ill I feel with Metformin and begged me to stop taking them the last time, as for the Sitigliptin - well there is no way I would take one of those again.
Anyway, I now have a pack of Gliclicide and have had it for 2 weeks and still not had the courage to start taking it. All the talk of Hypo's terrifies me and as most of the time I feel breathless and have tingling in my legs and hands I am not even sure I would realise I was hypo anyway!!

Can anyone reassure me about Gliclicide - I am only expected to take 40mg - half a tablet for the first week then step it up to 80mg, What is the best way of reducing any risks and managing to keep up my full time job without worrying myself to death?
I am starting to think I am just going to have to wait for the heart attack/stroke to happen becasue I cant cope with the anxiety associated with any of these drugs!! Any help would be appreciated.

My bs on last time of testing ( about 2 weeks )ago was 12.5 fasting and 8.5 after a meal but it is probably all over the place as I am taking nothing to control it.

Thank you
Thank you

garythegob

Laney said:
Hi,
I have tried to take Metformin four times now and each time after about a week I start to feel weepy, excessively tired and really down, to the point of just not caring about anything anymore. It is just not possible to shake this mood off and although I know that Metformin are considered the safest option I just cannot cope with feeling like this.

I tried Sitigliptin and after just one tablet woke up in the middle of the night totally terrified with my herart racing, visible palpitations and was too afraid to take anymore.

M y Doctors treat me like a crazy person and shake their heads at me, so much so that I begin to doubt myself and wonder if I have a severe phobia of tablets and medication and I am just wasting their time but my partner has witnessed how ill I feel with Metformin and begged me to stop taking them the last time, as for the Sitigliptin - well there is no way I would take one of those again.
Anyway, I now have a pack of Gliclicide and have had it for 2 weeks and still not had the courage to start taking it. All the talk of Hypo's terrifies me and as most of the time I feel breathless and have tingling in my legs and hands I am not even sure I would realise I was hypo anyway!!

Can anyone reassure me about Gliclicide - I am only expected to take 40mg - half a tablet for the first week then step it up to 80mg, What is the best way of reducing any risks and managing to keep up my full time job without worrying myself to death?
I am starting to think I am just going to have to wait for the heart attack/stroke to happen becasue I cant cope with the anxiety associated with any of these drugs!! Any help would be appreciated.

My bs on last time of testing ( about 2 weeks )ago was 12.5 fasting and 8.5 after a meal but it is probably all over the place as I am taking nothing to control it.

Thank you
Thank you
hi ya, I am on gliclazide, am on 4x80mg a day, as well as metformin 4x500mg a day and byetta injection, and I have no problems with either of them, I must admit, I don't get many hypos, except after the gym, but as I drive for a living, I always make sure my bg is above 5 before I drive, I find them very helpful in lowering my bg because he has stopped taking my gliclazide my bg goes up, but if I stop my metformin, my bg stays high

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
You need to get over your tablet phobia as it is far easier than injections which is where you are heading if you do not get control - tough love sorry

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Based on the posts on this forum, Metformin is the problem for some people and not Sitagliptin; with some exceptions of course. Metformin SR (Slow Release) solves most of the Metformin problems. Gliclazide also has few problems but the dosage does depend radically on the state of you pancreas. I've been on max dose for years with no ill effect or in fact any effect but it can cause hypos even with low dose if your pancreas is in a reasonable state. There is no need to fear any of these three drugs as they have few side effects of note in most people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have stomach problems with metformin when I eat wheat, when I don't it is fine. I'm also on 40mg gliclazide and have never had a hypo.

joeynomates

I also have the same problem as my diabetic nurse just looks at me as if I am mad :shock: When I try to explain how I feel towards it all...taking the medication, fear of side effects, she just tells me that I have to take something. I was given gliclizide to try, but after reading the side effects that you could have, I thought "forget it!!" I have started the metformin again today, only 500mg twice a day instead of 100 twice a day and I will try to increase it over the next few days. I am not hopeful, to be honest as I think I will get the same side effects again and I cannot cope with feeling ill again.

I do believe that there are some of us out there that are really sensitive to these drugs we are given. I had severe constipation when on the Sitigliptin. It was something that wasn't mentioned on the side effects list so I contacted the company that made them. After a few days, they got back to me and told me that I couldn't take them as it it wasn't suitable for me to take them.

Jackinthebox

Dislikes
Vegatables, cold food, sandwiches
I was originally mis-diagnosed with type 2 and took metformin. I hated them gave me a bad stomach and the only way I could take them was to chew them. After about 8 weeks I was re-diagnoed with type one and given insulin to inject straight away. The injections are completely painless and so easy to do (unlike testing you levels with the lancet thing I hate that). Is there an injectable option for type 2? You could also look into hypnotherapy or EFT to help you overcome your fears.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am very interested to hear that other people have issues with Metformin. My father was diagnosed with type 2 in 1995 which was successfully managed with food and exercise. In 2001 and my mother passed away very suddenly and my dad's sugar levels started to go up (we put this down to the stress). However his GP recommended Metformin. From the beginning I knew something was wrong. He clearly could not digest this medication and would frequently be physically sick. Over the course of 2 months we spoke to his GP 5 times on the matter as his sugar levels were not decreasing at all and he was feeling terrible.

His GP just did not want to listen. Metformin is still seen by many in the medical profession as a wonder drug - it is not.

Within 4 months of being put on this drug his fasting sugar levels were never below 25 all of which were reported to his GP. On the morning when it hit 33 I called an ambulance and he was admitted to hospital. He was put on insulin immediately and had sustained more than 50% kidney damage. This effected how he lived for the rest of his life.

It is not my intention to scare people and I am not saying that Metformin is bad for everyone but I do think that you know yourself better than any doctor. If this drug is upsetting the rest of your system then make your GP listen to you - obviously do not just stop taking it. It is just possible that you are super sensitive to it and it is better to get this checked early rather than later.

I have been diagnosed as being pre-diabetic and am now on a diet and exercise programme of walking at least 5km per day. I will beat this myself and not with the help and support of so called medical professionals who may know about diabetes but have not lived with it.

If I am honest I blame my dad's GP for not listening to us - the comments I hear from other diabetes suffers is that many GP's really don't understand what those with diabetes go through and look upon it without sympathy as a self inflicted disease.

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi

Metformin sent me to A&E with severe pains and that was on 1x500 slow release a day, Sitagliptin is doing nothing but giving me a bad headache

Stillo