advice whilst awaiting full diagnosis

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Been feeling out of sorts, tests this morning showed high levels of glucose, been for bloods, practice nurse said almost certainly diabetes but awaiting bloods tomorrow, feel like I am in limbo, raging thirst, feel dehydrated not sure what to drink what to eat or what to do, guess a few of you have been in my situation, any fail safe things that I can eat and drink until I have it confirmed what is wrong.

Thanks

Mark

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hello mark and welcome. You need low carbs, brown bread,brown rice, keep of cereals except weetabix with sweetner or fruit and porridge with the same, eggs,bacon is OK drink water as well as coffee,tea ext diet drinks hope this is some help to you also if they do not give you one a meter whether you are type 1 or 2 we all need to check sugars.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for your help, still awaiting confirmation, had my weetabix :D

StephenM

I am long term Type I but have many friends who are Type II. After a few chats on the phone we would suggest you go for a Type II diet limiting total daily carb to around 100 gm per day. This is the usual diet only treatment. Only your GP practice can advise after they have the full results if you need any medication such as metformin. Good luck with it.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stephen, much appreciated. I have noticed that low carb seems to be the way to go, am I OK to eat dairy products such as cheese and eggs, its all a bit bewildering, really appreciate the effort you have put in, many Thanks Mark

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
If you haven't read it , read this

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

I couldn't agree more with the low-carb advice. Count those carbs, Weetabix might not be such a good idea after all - it all depends on the individual. However, if you are overweight, the best thing you can do is to lose some and many on here have found that carb counting is the easiest way to do this.
Good luck.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a similar situation. Carbs are very difficult to get right. It doesn't seem to be the grams per meal but what you have with it. The same amount can spike my levels at one meal and not the other. All you can do is test before and after. I test at +2 hours after the beginning of a meal. The other night I burst into tears after reducing my portion of brown rice to half my usual amount only to get a very high reading. So, expect that there's magic formula. Good luck with your diagnosis and treatment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

No, don't eat weetabix - they're just as high in carbs as any other cereal. (Don't worry about having had them today - that's done now, just don't have them again, at least until you are able to monitor your glucose and see what they do to it). Dairy is ok, eggs are great, meat of any kind is fine, avoid bread, breakfast cereals of any kind, rice, pasta, fruit, potatoes, sugar, flour, chocolate. If it isn't on that list, the *likelihood* is that it's ok. That leaves you fish, beef, chicken, pork, shellfish, dairy, cheese, vegetables, eggs, salad, nuts, seeds, cream, oils, avocado and within reason, low GI carbs such as pulses, lentils etc (although I can't eat those).

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to everyone for your fantastic input, I have had the diagnosis confirmed as type 2 with my blood glucose at 14, my cholesterol is through the roof as well, but this might be a confused reading due to the glucose level, off to pick up metformin this afternoon then in to see the diabetes nurse on Tuesday, once again thanks its appreciated.

So if I stick with eggs, fish, chicken and vegetables over the weekend then I should not do too much damage, thanks again