Is marijuana good for diabetes?

LittleWolf

I knew of other reasons it gives you the munchies (THC mimics the endocannabinoids produced naturally in our bodies that regulate hunger) and that MJ smokers are less likely to be insulin resistant but I didn't know it directly lowers blood sugar. I will have to research this further, ask a doctor or I might just try testing after a joint! Or is this a long term effect? Perhaps if I went on a tolerance break my BG levels would go up?

That's true its a great anti inflammatory (good news for the other kind of joints) and expectorant/decongestant) However I think smoking anything can be bad for your immune system. I'm going to start taking multivitamins as I'm sun-phobic and this vitamin D deficient, however I hears JUICING cannabis has great health benefits.

Those who wish to avoid the damaging effects of smoking, eating is an option. A energetic of this is a /much/ lower dose is needed to provide therapeutic effects. Vaporising is also good.

Again, with ANY substance you put in your body illegal or legal, remember to have Knowledge, Self Control and Be Aware of where it come from if you can and how it affects you personally. Probably best avoided if you have an addictive personality.

I'll report back in a moment and see if BG is affected.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Pre joint 6.1

Post joint 6.3

Bear in mind this is 4 am and after a nearly 10 hour fast. Is my liver going to do something silly in the night?

Im not sure. Might have to test the theory in they day and see if post meal readings go down any quicker or between meals

I know that alcohol causes a nasty drop for sure though @_@

chrissyp

Dislikes
offensive people !!
after going through hell to wean my teenage son off Cannabis - personality changes,mood swings,self harming I could NEVER advise anyone to take it - even if it cures your diabetes ! It may well help symptoms of Diabetes but the price is too high. :thumbdown:

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Thank you for your personal feedback ChrissyP. No one will agree and I think it's time to draw a line under this. I am not in agreement with all posts here, but understand everyone has the right to do what they want. Experience has been shared and it's beginning to form 2 opposite schools of propaganda. I think we should all agree to disagree. I've had to hold back at times, but then, if I went ahead I'd be trying to force my opinions down the throats of others and as a responsible person, that is coersive and unfair. The answers to anyones school of thought lie in the many previous posts, somewhere or other.
Whatever you choose to do, be careful.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Apolgies, I hit send before finishing.
As a footnote, personal experience is a highly valued source and we should try to keep things objective and keep an open mind to other peoples input. One size certainly does not fit all in any case.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Probably lots of places, patch. It's s phrase in common parlance where I live. :)

LittleWolf

ROFL. Unless I'm having a session with friends or on a break at uni I only smoke right before bed these days. I might not have eaten for 7 hours but no munchies. Just dreamland.

Some people suggest eating before you smoke... But I like that everything tastes so much better high. I tend to buy/prepare munch and decide on portions, then lay it out beforehand. Often I'll decide on activities too. Like I'm going to have a smoke then do an hour of yoga, so put my mat out with music set for minimal fuss :3

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm just watching Daytime TV and there's a man on defending cigarette smoking in cars, at home etc. He's so addicted to his cancer sticks that he's using the old 'what about fumes from cars' etc as his defence. I can feel the anger coming from him as he feels his 'human rights' are being eroded by anti-smoking laws being introduced. When pressed on his views about the fact that children of smokers have no choice whatsoever in whether they inhale passively or not, he went all round the houses simply repeating that 'the majority of British people, respect and care for their children'. He then went on to say that no, he would NOT give up smoking in his car or anywhere else and that as his children are now adults, he had no intention of giving up in the future. Obviously this man thinks of himself as a 'strong, determined type', when actually all he is, is an adult with a replacement for a dummy stuck in his mouth! And he's obviously determined no-one's going to take it away from him.

The man was blatantly selfish and self centred as hell and reminded me of my mother in his defensiveness of cigarettes. She smoked for years in the house, everywhere, despite myself and my Dad suffering from asthma. It was US who had to go OUTSIDE in the cold while she sat inside puffing away on her cancer stick. It wasn't until she herself had several admissions to hospital and ended up with COPD that she even THOUGHT about stopping smoking and it was ME who had to look after her for the rest of her life when she became disabled through breathing problems.

Had to have that rant before I go to work! :wink:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
If one wants to take marijuana, one doesn't have to smoke it. One may just eat it.

And if you do smoke marijuana, you certainly do not have to smoke it with tobacco.

Though it's true, I smoke both. (I wouldn't like to try eating, or chewing, tobacco.)

And I believe that anyone who smokes either of these drugs should be required to roll their own. Or you can put them in a pipe.

I've never noticed either having any effect on my diabetes.

The munchies are a thing of the past for me. I've no idea why.

LittleWolf

Chewing tobacco puts you at even more risk of oral cancer I hear.

Giving up cigarettes was the best thing I ever did. They were making me more cranky, it gets kind of silly when you think you need one every minute and I had a terrible smoker's cough and hacking up gunk from my lungs.. When I started smoking weed I realised cigarettes were doing nothing for me. Now even if I don't smoke weed I have lost all desire for cigarettes. I have a particular aversion to prepackaged fags/straights... So chemical-laden..

Trying to get my grandma to switch to roll ups. I think she'd smoke less if she didn't have the convenience of pre rolled. And she can't afford £7 a box...

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
LittleWolf said:
Chewing tobacco puts you at even more risk of oral cancer I hear.

Giving up cigarettes was the best thing I ever did. They were making me more cranky, it gets kind of silly when you think you need one every minute and I had a terrible smoker's cough and hacking up gunk from my lungs.. When I started smoking weed I realised cigarettes were doing nothing for me. Now even if I don't smoke weed I have lost all desire for cigarettes. I have a particular aversion to prepackaged fags/straights... So chemical-laden..

Trying to get my grandma to switch to roll ups. I think she'd smoke less if she didn't have the convenience of pre rolled. And she can't afford £7 a box...

My Grandad smoked Bondman tobacco in roll ups all his life. He also smoked a pipe and chewed tobacco and drank a tot of Navy Rum every day plus half a glass of Guinness. He was 96 when he died, I don't remember him ever being short of breath or having a cough or an illness come to that, although he did have a hernia operation at the age of 86. He was born in 1882 though and died in 1978 so I don't think tobacco had all the chemicals in it that it does now and I must admit, what he smoked smelled lovely, not like the stuff people smoke these days. My Grandmother on the other hand, died of TB at the age of 62, along with 3 of their children. The remaining children (my Mum was one of them) all smoked normal packet cigarettes and had COPD by the time they were 40 and two died in their 50's. My Mum smoked well into her 50's until she developed COPD. If you looked at all the chemicals in today's cigarettes, I don't think anyone with any sense would smoke. (By the way, I'm not pontificating, I took up smoking at the ripe old age of 39 and almost smoked myself to death for 10 years before finally giving up. I hate the damned things but in a moment of high stress and great weakness, I took one that was offered to me and that was it.) :roll:

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
What has this got to do with Cannabis/Marijuana? This has gone on for so long that people have forgotten the original topic. Lol

LittleWolf

I guess it was inevitable we'd get on to smoking in general lol

I guess comparing the effects on health between cannabis and tobacco highlights how nonsensical it is that one is legal and systematically laced with a crazy amount of lethal chemicals, whilst the other is straight off the plant (not saying people have not on rare occasions contaminated it) and has a lot of benefits. It's a given that inhaling the fumes of anything combusted has it's drawbacks but hey

Anyway back on topic I found these interesting

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/05/01/s ... -marijuana

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/361226 ... nabis-pill

What worries me is that existing cannabis-BASED pharmaceutical drugs have a lot of documented side-effects and even fatalities. The legal version, that is ok because it's gone through a lot chemical processing rather than the results of clinical trials.

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2005/10/tre ... iabet.html

A post or two in this other thread highlights how Marinol, Sativex and other cannabis-based medications use solvents, and the interactions between different cannabinoids in the whole plant may have a different effect on the body compared to isolating a few (or replicating them in a synthetic drug.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21098

I think industrial hemp needs reviving for a 'greener' (see what I did there?) textile industry. Also, psychoactive elements aside, introducing hemp to the diet could be a good idea. Smoothies, sprinkling hemp seed on things etc

I know it does wonders for my skin and hair. I've always had issues with both

http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/s ... rfood-hemp

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
There are a couple of brands of fag tobacco readily available nowadays that don't have chemicals added. (I won't advertise for them; or then again, maybe I should: there's 'Pueblo', and there's 'American Spirit'.) I wish they'd been available before, and I wish I'd learned about them sooner.

I knew straights had added chemicals. But I had previously always naively assumed that when one bought a packet of tobacco, or some loose tobacco, there would only be tobacco in it.

I also firmly wish I could also buy cannabis in the same shop, or in the same kind of shop - as in Holland.

I have never found that smoking, or eating cannabis has any significant effect on my diabetic condition.

But I would happily volunteer myself for research into the issue.

Sula

Yes it is. it has the potential to cure diabetes. The marijuana is made into an oil which gives you the curative properties without the 'high', look for 'run from the cure' by Rick Simpson on you tube. The curative properties of cannabis are being withheld from us by Big Pharma. I contacted Rick and asked him if it could cure diabetes and he said 'yes' but you have to make the oil yourself, in some States in the US they can buy it. We cannot make the oil for obvious reasons so we are stuffed.