Not getting hbac test results

sue.cassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I saw my d.n in march after my first habc test she told me all the negatives relating to diabetes said I did not need to know results of blod test she then said she would arrange for me to have a second blod test in June. Having heard nothing I phoned surgery and asked them to arrange test. I phoned today and they will not give me results sad I will have to wait until ext week and phone nurse evn though I tried they refused, I have Ben feeling unwell and just want to know if I am unwell because of diabetes r if it is something ewe. So very angry today
Sorry for rant but don't know here to go next.

Sue cassie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You have a RIGHT to those blood test results. The nurse has NO RIGHT to withold them. Contact her/him again and ask for them. If you have no luck, contact the Practice manager.
Hana

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I echo Hanadr's words. You are entitled to your results. I usually ask for a printout. However, the last time I asked a receptionist at the surgery, she declared that I could not be given the results and that a doctor would have to phone me. I went home and phoned the surgery and asked for specific results. Bingo! I was told what I wanted to know. When I remember I will ask again for a printout.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you're unwell book an appointment on Monday to see your gp, they'll give you the results whilst you're there.

sue.cassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would love to book app with doctor unfortunately procedure is I phone for appt. they then ask doctor to call she then decides if she will see you or not oh she does not work during any school holiday as she has children. The other gp is about as useless as a wet weekend last time I had to see hi I said I was only sleeping for about 3 hours a night he said that was obviously all the sleep I needed not helpful when I asked today for my results the 2nd time I called receptionist said she would get practise manager to call me with results later receptionist phoned said practise manager said I have to wait till next week. So I m at the point of just not bothering, tonight it seems a complete waste of time. I wonder do GPS get extra funding for diabetic patients if so that may be why the diagnosed me then don't want to know.

Thanks for replies
Suecassie

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you have a seriously bad surgery. You do have right to your results and if they are refused then first complain to the Practice Manager and if she won't give them then complain to your PCT or whatever they are called now. Do you have another surgery you could change to?

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your practice has a website you should be able to find details of how to contact them with your comments or to make a complaint. The practice will have a complaints procedure, with a time line for their response.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
The way this surgery is treating your request for information about results is disgusting. If you dont have it in you to fight them for it I wouldnt waste any more time getting stressed over it. Change to another surgery. If more people did this instead of giving up the greater chance we may see some changes in attitude.

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I also have problems getting my blood results.i have explained to my nurse that as a diabetic I do need to know them she thinks it worries people to know them I explained it would worry me not to know i now get them but i have to ask for them.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Your results are your data and you have a legal right to them under the Data Protection Act 1998. Threaten them with a complaint to the Information Commissioner.
However, I can perfectly understand that they will not give them to you over the phone unless they ring you.

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As stuffedolive said, you have a right to see your results. A request under the data protection act might wake them up, but they can charge a nominal fee!

If you are unwell, I would suggest you go and see a doctor, even if they have not been particularly good in the past. If you are not satisfied, ask for a second opinion. If they refuse, submit a formal complaint to the practice and if you do not get a satisfactory response, take it to the Health Service Ombudsman(http://www.ombudsman.org.uk)

Diabetes is unique in that the condition requires the patient to manage their own condition with minimal help from health-care professionals. If they are not prepared to support your self-management properly, I would suggest you make yourself a bigger burden on them.

If they try to stop you seeing them, wait until the surgery closes and see an out-of-hours doctor - it's not ideal, but if the system is broken for you...

Diabetic complications cost the NHS 10% of its budget. Not supporting you properly will cost a hell of a lot more in the long run!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Perhaps I should add to my previous post that it may be worth reading the NICE Diabetes Pathways website and related info. You are supposed to have a Care Plan with agreed objectives such as blood sugar level. To this it is essential to both know where you are and mutually agree the way forward. Diabetes UK also has a 15 point plan for diabetics which I think includes this as one of the 15 points. As others have said you can insist that your surgery gives you a printout or data download of ALL of your health records since Day 1 under the Data Protection Act. Yes, they will charge you a reasonable admin fee but they can't refuse.