A REAL Cure for Diabetes

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My BMI is 18.5 which puts me on the verge of skinny/normal.

BMI is not and is not meant to be perfect, it is used as a quick guide. It is basic maths after all. Anything that requires specific information adds to a lot more complicated formula.

Everyone knows how they look in a mirror. You know if you are slightly large on the stomach or too skinny. We don't need people to tell us if we appear fat or skinny.

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Agree, BMI is only part of the bigger picture. Waist circumference, waist to height ratio and waist to hip ratio are also important markers, as are many other things. Body fat scales are a good idea in theory but may people say they find them unreliable, at least the scales that are affordable and made for home use.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

My ideal, comfortable weight is about 1st above what the charts say I should be. Anything lower than that then I get a 'Cliff Richard' neck and people start asking me if I am unwell!!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gezzathorpe, :)
My ideal, comfortable weight is about 1st above what the charts say I should be. Anything lower than that then I get a 'Cliff Richard' neck and people start asking me if I am unwell!!

You could be onto something, many friends etc; say this to me. when I am spot on with BMI.

Mayby Diabetics type 2 should be slightly above BMI to meet other necessary requirements.

I actually purposely put a few lbs on when I went to see my sisters the other week just to keep them happy for the way I look.
Roy

A

Anonymous

izzzi said:
Hi Gezzathorpe, :)

You could be onto something, many friends etc; say this to me. when I am spot on with BMI.

Mayby Diabetics type 2 should be slightly above BMI to meet other necessary requirements.

I actually purposely put a few lbs on when I went to see my sisters the other week just to keep them happy for the way I look.
Roy

Ha! So you purposely ate baklava every day just to keep them happy? The sacrifices we have to make sometimes. :D :D :D
When my 'man boobs' stop jiggling about when I'm running up and down the stairs, when I can bend down to do my shoelaces up without turning blue in the face, when I get up from a li-lo in a single manoeuvre without the use of my arms, and people stop saying 'you're looking well' (a euphamism for 'you've put on weight') then I know I'm about there. :lolno: :lolno:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roy please tell me how to pt on a few pounds (without putting up my BGs of course) cos I am skinny !!!
CAROL

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carol, :)
My honest is "I do not Know" its crazy

I am on one of those vegan type diets and it does not alter my BG when I gain or loose a few lbs.

Roy. :)

A

Anonymous

izzzi said:
Hi Carol, :)
My honest is "I do not Know" its crazy

I am on one of those vegan type diets and it does not alter my BG when I gain or loose a few lbs.

Roy. :)

Hi, when you say you can put the weight on purposely, what do you do to put it on?

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Agree, BMI is only part of the bigger picture. Waist circumference, waist to height ratio and waist to hip ratio are also important markers, as are many other things. Body fat scales are a good idea in theory but may people say they find them unreliable, at least the scales that are affordable and made for home use.

Janeecee, I have been experimenting with a revised regime which allows me roughly 200-250g carbs (60%), 50-70g fat (17%) and 55-75g protein (23%) or thereabouts. My weight 'plateau' has ended (1lb down from last week), BP is down noticeably, I have had no stage1 hypos and I can include 4 pieces of fruit per day (which is very important to me). Vitamins and minerals seem reasonable as far as I can tell. It's pretty much my pattern of eating since I was first diagnosed but more thought out and regular since I've learned a lot more. It will be easy to follow even when/if I get a job, so I'll have no excuses!

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems rather a lot of food for my needs! I presume you do the 'little and often' routine to avoid the hypos after dog-walking? I have so far stuck with 3 meals a day and no snacking in between meals because I never feel the need to. I'm curious as to how other people manage—3 meals a day, or 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day, or regular meals with small snacks. Has changing your eating pattern helped?

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
It seems rather a lot of food for my needs! I presume you do the 'little and often' routine to avoid the hypos after dog-walking? I have so far stuck with 3 meals a day and no snacking in between meals because I never feel the need to. I'm curious as to how other people manage—3 meals a day, or 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day, or regular meals with small snacks. Has changing your eating pattern helped?

I seem to suit little and often and when I feel hungry. Obviously, the temporary spikes from carbs are lower than if I have 3 meals a day and my bG is down a bit, although it's a bit soon to confirm. Since spikes are normal, I'm not concerned about this as I always return to base within two hours. But, it is very important to me to maximise nutritional intake, including vitamins, minerals etc., without going all 'scientific' about it, so it's fundamentally what I have been doing over the last 5 years without realising it and which has produced my good blood results. Life was so much easier when I was using my meter occasionally to 'check in'. My recent experiments, using my meter frequently, were more trouble than they were worth. Obviously, I must and do know, after 5 years, what different foods do to me and so frequent testing is pointless for me. :crazy:

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still working it out as my readings and pattern seem to change every few weeks, although it's hard to work out why, and then the past few days there seemed to be promising signs, and then I had an unexpected high that would have typically produced a reading of 1.0 less. So I really cannot fathom it at all. I guess I'm not the typical prediabetic/T2 and that's why I'm having such a struggle convincing my doctors, especially since they have more or less abandoned the OGTT as a diagnostic test.

I cannot work out whether variation or predictability in the diet would be better. Would the body respond better to a degree of unpredictability of carb intake or does the pancreas respond better when it knows what to expect? At the moment I'm taking the 'predictable' approach by having a small amount of carbs in the evening with (so far) no big spikes. However, after a few days it seemed to create slightly higher preprandial readings, and then the preprandial readings seemed to fall slightly, and just when I thought I had a predictable pattern the preprandial figures went up just a bit.

So…what works for you? Do you have your carbs evenly divided and predictable to avoid spiking?

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
I'm still working it out as my readings and pattern seem to change every few weeks, although it's hard to work out why, and then the past few days there seemed to be promising signs, and then I had an unexpected high that would have typically produced a reading of 1.0 less. So I really cannot fathom it at all. I guess I'm not the typical prediabetic/T2 and that's why I'm having such a struggle convincing my doctors, especially since they have more or less abandoned the OGTT as a diagnostic test.

I cannot work out whether variation or predictability in the diet would be better. Would the body respond better to a degree of unpredictability of carb intake or does the pancreas respond better when it knows what to expect? At the moment I'm taking the 'predictable' approach by having a small amount of carbs in the evening with (so far) no big spikes. However, after a few days it seemed to create slightly higher preprandial readings, and then the preprandial readings seemed to fall slightly, and just when I thought I had a predictable pattern the preprandial figures went up just a bit.

So…what works for you? Do you have your carbs evenly divided and predictable to avoid spiking?

I did read from yet another incredibly reliable source! that first-phase insulin is based upon previous recent meals. That sounds a bit crude to me because I would have thought that a non-diabetic person's body would be 'tracking' the blood glucose rise and nipping it in the bud, so to speak. (I can feel a diagram coming on!!) :D I definitely have a delayed insulin response but, unlike you, recover by +2:00 hrs, whereas with the official definition of pre-diabetics/impaired glucose tolerance, the whole two hours is shifted right. I'm sort of slow on the uptake but quick to finish (story of my life!). It may always have been this way with me, of course. Who can tell?

If predictability means eating when hungry as opposed to a fixed schedule then my eating is predictable as far as my body is concerned, and that seems to be working for me.

I limit myself to roughly 20-40g carbs per 'eat' depending on how hungry I am with a bit more in the evening. I spike up to around 6.3 max with that intake. I would be worried if I didn't spike as that would not be normal. I find that fruit helps a lot which is why I usually eat an apple, pear, orange and banana per day, for variety. Often a piece of fruit is enough for a snack. Fruit gives me a real 'feel good' factor ... I feel 'hooked' on it which I guess is my body saying 'yes, please!'. When I tried a fat/protein diet I felt satiated after food but also rather 'flat' (hard to explain).

Today, before breakfast, my bGs were 4.1 (waking up), 5.2, 5.3, 5.1, 4.9 over 4.5 hours eating nothing and sitting on my butt. So I only had breakfast after the 4.9 which was when I was starting to feel hungry. I felt that, with those readings, I didn't need anything anyway unless I was planning some exercise.

Right now, I am experimenting with the effect of homemade chocolate versus bought stuff ... more later.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If I could be more active I'm sure it would help, but I'm doing all I can and its not even helping by a decimal point, it seems. I'm getting beyond fed up, to be honest, eating like a sparrow and getting nowhere. I'm thinking of giving up the forums because so much of what works for others isn't applicable in my case. With no help from my GPs, and therefore no access to regular blood tests, not even annually, I'm pretty much on my own with this. Green tea, cinnamon, ALA supplements—no difference at all. I even wrote to Newcaste University and didn't get as much as an automated reply, so I give up.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
janeecee said:
If I could be more active I'm sure it would help, but I'm doing all I can and its not even helping by a decimal point, it seems. I'm getting beyond fed up, to be honest, eating like a sparrow and getting nowhere. I'm thinking of giving up the forums because so much of what works for others isn't applicable in my case. With no help from my GPs, and therefore no access to regular blood tests, not even annually, I'm pretty much on my own with this. Green tea, cinnamon, ALA supplements—no difference at all. I even wrote to Newcaste University and didn't get as much as an automated reply, so I give up.

Awww janeecee I'm so sorry you are feeling the way you do. Please don't give up on the forums, remember, whatever type we are we are all in it together. Do you have a DSN ? if you do, could you make an appointment to see them and mention all of the above. Also if your GP isn't any help In supporting/treating your medical needs, you could change to another GP, it could make all the difference.

Try and be strong, we're all here to help and to give support.

'Give up, give in, or give everything' Take care and sending you a big ((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))

With best wishes RRB

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, RRB. I've not given up looking after my diet and keeping my numbers down. I've just given up on looking for answers and theories, and trying to make it all go away by adopting some regime. 3 months ago I thought losing 4-5 lbs might make a difference but it hasn't. I thought increasing my activity might make a difference, but it hasn't. I thought tweaking my diet would make a difference, and it has to some extent, but I had the expectation that I would still be able to eat moderate amounts of healthy foods instead of eating like a sparrow, sometimes down to 900 cal per day. So, I guess I'll just need to carry on being careful about what I eat, and I live in hope that I will eventually be active enough to make a difference, but I've given up on the theories and pinning my hopes on the likes of the ND being the answer.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Now I have come to the end of my Juice Fasting type experiment and I am pleased to report, that for the past 2 days I have gone back to my normal food and my blood sugars are still remaining lower.

I have tried to inject the "normal" amount of insulin into my body but every time I do, I get hypos so as of now, my insulin intake is down about 30% from what it used to be, before the plan I set myself.

Just to recap -
Juicing everyday- fresh vegetables/fruits Morning, Afternoon, Evening.
Then as hard as it was, I gave in to eating some food - I couldn't cut it out completely, so in the evening from the 3rd day, I juiced as normal, but ate a large bowl of low heat cooked vegetables in a pan, with water and oyster sauce. Also I had 1 can of tuna in some evenings. This helped fill the hunger pains.

Yesterday, I had KFC, cooked vegetables at home, and still my blood sugars have remained lower than they used to be.

My conclusion is, everyone should definitely try a juicing supplement. Always drink the juice on an empty stomach. Then 30 minutes later, eat if you have to. Unless you can do a complete fast of juicing, which is difficult I admit.

Give your body 7 days, check the benefits out yourself.

Personally, I am sleeping about 1-2 hours less than I used to, but not waking up tired or lethargic like I was before.

I know too many people on here are sceptics, which is why I wanted to see if it was possible to do something about it and it is.

Regards

Mr Happy

So the conclusion to your 'experiment' is that you cannot keep to a juicing routine and when you did it merely lowered insulin intake rather than cured diabetes.

Interesting!

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Thanks, RRB. I've not given up looking after my diet and keeping my numbers down. I've just given up on looking for answers and theories, and trying to make it all go away by adopting some regime. 3 months ago I thought losing 4-5 lbs might make a difference but it hasn't. I thought increasing my activity might make a difference, but it hasn't. I thought tweaking my diet would make a difference, and it has to some extent, but I had the expectation that I would still be able to eat moderate amounts of healthy foods instead of eating like a sparrow, sometimes down to 900 cal per day. So, I guess I'll just need to carry on being careful about what I eat, and I live in hope that I will eventually be active enough to make a difference, but I've given up on the theories and pinning my hopes on the likes of the ND being the answer.

Hi Janeecee, I have a few questions that maybe you or others could answer. As you know I've been on 50% carbs per day, 25% fat and 25% protein and have been stuck, still overweight, at 14st for three months. I have now reduced my dietary fat to 17% and have lost 3lb in the last two-three weeks (measured over the period to ensure it is lasting). So, I'm looking to clarify my understanding of things.

1. If I've lost weight by reducing dietary fat, am I using stored fat for energy and is that the reason for my weight loss?
2. If I followed others' suggestions and traded carbs for dietary fat, would I use the dietary fat for energy before stored fat?
3. If, like many others, I am trying to lose weight, would that additional dietary fat contribute to weight loss, or would I still need to use that up before drawing on stored fat in order to lose weight?

In summary, does an increase in dietary fat help weight loss? If so, then both reducing dietary fat (according to me at least) or increasing it by trading carbs for fat (according to many others) both result in weight loss, in which case the result is the same. I'm slightly confused by this. My logic is failing me somewhere along the line.

Sorry if this all seems a bit simplistic but I am trying to test my own understanding of how it all works.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
janeecee said:

I did read from yet another incredibly reliable source! that first-phase insulin is based upon previous recent meals.

Who was that source Gezza? I'm interested