New - uknown type 1 or 2

Jasonscotland

I recently attended the Dr and has a ure test showing high leeks of sugar in my urine. I then completed a glucose tolerance test and the readings are as follows fasting reading of 13.2 and a post glucose of 23.4.

I then attended at the hospital who are unsure if I am type 1 or 2 - They have taken more blood to check for antibodies in my pancreas.

I have been put on Gliclazide 40mg before breakfast and another one before dinner - my reading with the tablet seem to be around 9.0 - 10.4.

I'm awaiting the results from the antibody test re type 1 or 2.

Anyone have any obersrvstions or comments!??

A final point my mother is type 1 and I have not had any other symptoms apart from repetitive penil thrush.

The doctor is thinking I'm possibly inbeerween a type 1 &2!!

Many thanks

Jason

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the GP is doing the right thing in testing for GAD anti-bodies. If positive it will confirm Late Onset Type 1 sometimes called LADA or T1.5. It has the same cause and result as T1 seen shortly after birth but the anti-bodies strike later and/or more slowly. It is often mis-diagnosed as T2 but your GP seems to be on the ball. Gliclazide may help in the short term but insulin will be needed sooner or later. Don't panic as insulin isn't the problem it used to be. I went onto it 6 months ago from tablets and it gives you full control. I'm a 'T2' but possibly actually LADA but my GAD was negative. At the end of the day as long as you get the right treatment who cares. BTW do reduce your carbs to keep blood sugar as low as possible. Go for something like 150gm/day as an initial target and keep portion sizes sensibly small.

elaine77

Hi Jason,

I agree with the previous posts, the antibody test should let you know and so should the c-peptide if they have ran that test.

It's good they are finding out so quickly whether you are autoimmune or not because if you are, the gliclazide could do more damage than good as it will try to exhaust your pancreas into producing more insulin which it can't do if you have a shortage of beta cells from the autoimmune destruction... I had this problem as they started me on gliclazide at first and there was no change in my BS levels at all.

The results shall tell all!! Good luck :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
elaine77 said:
Hi Jason,

I agree with the previous posts, the antibody test should let you know and so should the c-peptide if they have ran that test.

It's good they are finding out so quickly whether you are autoimmune or not because if you are, the gliclazide could do more damage than good as it will try to exhaust your pancreas into producing more insulin which it can't do if you have a shortage of beta cells from the autoimmune destruction... I had this problem as they started me on gliclazide at first and there was no change in my BS levels at all.

The results shall tell all!! Good luck :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.
l
Gliclazide did nothing for my levels either when I was classed as Type 2 except make me more hungry,the GAD and C-PEP are crucial.

Kerrin_geee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I was diagnosed with type 1 three months ago after doctors being unsure which type I was also! They came to the conclusion that the confusion over whether I was type 1 or 2 was due to the fact that I was still producing some insulin. After having many tests, they found that I did have antibodies, so concluded that it was type 1, so I think your results will give you the answer! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App