Have you cured or reversed type 2

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
375lindyloo said:
Hi Donquinn
I was diagnosed in 2008 with a bg reading over 12. I was put on simvastatin and Metformin. After about 12 months I took myself off these as I was really ill-had no energy and weak. Doc called me in as I hadn't been getting prescriptions and thereby followed a long spell of nori monitoring my liver function which was scarily high. Have been off tablets until recently when doc tried statins again. Liver function tests became ridiculously high and was told to stop statin. I have tried Newcastle diet and lost weight on this and then tried low carb and lost more. My latest half yearly test results have amazingly resulted in an overal 5.8 which my doctor says puts me in the non diabetic range. After initially being thrilled to bits I am now rather scared as I believe I am still diabetic and while I am being monitored for the next year if my levels stay the same I will no longer be monitored or have retinopathy or chiropody. My doctor has cancelled my lancets and test strips as he says I will no longer need them. My jubilation has turned to panic as I don't believe diabetes can be cured and fear I will be left out on a limb. Don't know if anyone is in the same situation but it is scary.

I have been meds free for almost a year now. You're right about being left out on a limb. It's as though docs are being told to stop all meds and treatment if someone is clear for at least a year. I will be finding this out in September, my first year clear. Thanks to this site and the things I have learnt, I will now have a lot more knowledge to feel able to ask better questions of my db nurse. I have got myself a blood tester and will check myself now and then to make sure I am doing things right. It is probably true that we arn't cured. The db might flare up one day, but we can do a lot more now to keep it away with what we are learning.

Perhaps someone cleverer (and a heck of a lot more articulate) than me could collate all the information being collected by this site, and from other sources, and write a self help booklet for us diabetics? I know most of the info that would be in the book is available from this and other sites, and that's the problem. It's spread out, and it's not on good old fashioned paper! (OK, there can be a kindle copy too.)

Reactions: Prem51

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
375lindyloo said:
My jubilation has turned to panic as I don't believe diabetes can be cured and fear I will be left out on a limb. Don't know if anyone is in the same situation but it is scary.

Well, there is no need to panic, all you need to do is be careful. Under no circumstances shuld you think that you can return to your previous bad habits. If you do, you will almost certainly get diabetes again. In fact, you are likely to get it earlier than before because some of your beta cells will be permanently damaged now. But, if you keep your weight off and watch your carbs, you should be OK. Better still, carry on doing what you did before, diet and exercise.

You have the following major advantage now. Even if the diabetes does come back, you have delayed the progression and, the more you delay progression, the better. I'd be tempted to get a meter for yourself and test a couple of mornings per week, just to see if your early morning levels are below 6. As long as they are, things are in the OK zone. If they go above 6, redouble your diet and exercise regime and get them below 6. If you can't go see a doctor and ask for a HBA1c.

If you are careful, there is no reason why it should come back but, people have laspses. The odd lapse is OK but these lapses can become habit forming and the next thing you know it's sweet milky cocao and half a dozen chocolate hob nobs before bed or, worse still, in bed whilst reading a book.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
It's as though docs are being told to stop all meds and treatment if someone is clear for at least a year.

I don't know what they do anymore. They already send some patients to europe for some operations and my wife needed a routine operation so they sent her to a private hospital to get it done. Something is badly wrong when it is cheaper for the NHS to pay a private hospital to do routine surgery than do it themselves. Yesterday I heard them discussing whether they should be sending patients to India for treatment.

It is heading towards the situation in the Yes Minister episode, the Empty Hospital, where 600 NHS staff were far too busy, overworked according to Sir Humphrey, to allow any patients in.

kajsasan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on metformin 1000mg/2 A day. I had to take high blood pressure medication and high cholesterol medication.
My weight was 95 kg.
I started eating raw food and after three months I just had to take 500 mg/2 a day, i had then lost 17 kg.
After a year I had list 40 kg, I do not just eat raw food because I'm born with malrotation and have going through four surgeries and can only eat small amounts food a day, it has to be fluid and highly "concentrated" in nutrition.
I now weigh 58 kg and my doctor thought that I might get rid of the diabetes 2, but lately my blood sugar. rose when I couldn't do my daily long walks and also was stressed and didn't sleep well at night. I have maintained my weight but have had to go back to taking 1000 mg metformin twice a day again. Now min Hba1 is 44 and better than ever again. I've started to take at least one long walk every day and I have ever since I got my diagnose been very restricted to what I eat. No bread, pasta, rice off course since I just eat shakes but I do not eat any meat or milk, cream or cheese except if I eat at someone's home.
No candy, sometimes 70 % chocolate.
I also stopped smoking when I was diagnosed and had the idea that I would get rid of my diabetes since it DO happen, after gastric bypass already before you loose weight, in the first two weeks.
Gastric bypass cures many newly diagnosed and they have started to look upon why, as you all ready know, I guess. That gave me the impulse to see if I could do it to:)

Australia28

I am very keen to talk to people who have actually reversed or 'cured' type 2 diabetes. I am doing a study of the possibility of the potential to use diet or any other methods.
I would be hugely grateful to anyone who will talk to me about their success or otherwise.
I am a former Senior Research Fellow and now I am diabetic myself.
Many thanks.
Don
Hi Don

I am a brit in Melbourne and I was diagnosed two years ago with Diabetes type 2. They wanted to put me on insulin as I had a reading of 15 before the GTT and after, one of 22 but I read up and came to the conclusion that I should try exercise & diet first. I developed an exercise and diet regime that assisted the metabolising of glucose in the cells. The exercise reinvigorates the cells to accept the insulin ‘key’ and the diet regulates the amount of sugar in the blood.
I have had regular HBa1C tests each 12 weeks and my levels are around 5.9 which is the “ideal”according to the GP. I used to take readings everyday twice a day. Now I only take the tests. I don’t take medication and stopped the Diaformin prescriptions after my last reading last month. They are in my drawer gathering dust!

I guess it depends how you look at it. There are two types of sufferers. Those who are born with it and this who develop it. The latter have the obligation to regulate their lifestyle to keep it in check. The former need medical intervention to keep it in check.
If you are T2 and you accept your condition, you take preventive action, you actually improve your lifestyle because you regulate your sleep, your diet and your exercise. That makes you feel, work and play better. That sounds like a cure to me!
I consider myself cured of bad diet, poor sleep and lack of exercise. I “reversed” the symptoms that caused the disease and cured the poor attitude I had towards these things. Now I live better, am in the right weight range, and enjoy myself more.
Francis
PS sorry about the motivational speaking, but I hope this helps!

Australia28

Reverse - YES, Cure - NO

When I was diagnosed, Steve Redgrave was winning his Olympic Gold medals, so I wasn't unduly concerned - until my Dr explained ALL the possible complications, including the PROBABILITY of a heart attack. I left the surgery in a state of shock - I had the disease that would kill me. I was afraid NOT to follow the advice they gave me.

That was 12 years ago. Now, at 74 I am fit & well & play tennis & last year won "Olympic" Gold at the Ealing Hospital gym "Olympics."

My secret - DON'T follow the advice given by Drs, nurses & dietitians. I did for 7 1/2 years until I became crippled with neuropathy, & suffered chronic tireness & the beginning of kidney deterioration & retinopathy. TI then found this forum & learned about low carb high fat diet. At once I gave up all the obvious carbohydrates. In 3 months I was out of pain & playing tennis again. 5 years of low carb, high fat & I would not dare go back to the NHS/DUK high carb, low fat diet.

All the signs of diabetes progression were reversed by diet. I'm still diabetic, not cured. If I eat carbs my BG goes into double figures.
Good one and good advice about the diet. Here in Australia they are about more aware of the carbs issue and provide a lot of support for newbies. Good luck

kajsasan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Don

I am a brit in Melbourne and I was diagnosed two years ago with Diabetes type 2. They wanted to put me on insulin as I had a reading of 15 before the GTT and after, one of 22 but I read up and came to the conclusion that I should try exercise & diet first. I developed an exercise and diet regime that assisted the metabolising of glucose in the cells. The exercise reinvigorates the cells to accept the insulin ‘key’ and the diet regulates the amount of sugar in the blood.
I have had regular HBa1C tests each 12 weeks and my levels are around 5.9 which is the “ideal”according to the GP. I used to take readings everyday twice a day. Now I only take the tests. I don’t take medication and stopped the Diaformin prescriptions after my last reading last month. They are in my drawer gathering dust!

I guess it depends how you look at it. There are two types of sufferers. Those who are born with it and this who develop it. The latter have the obligation to regulate their lifestyle to keep it in check. The former need medical intervention to keep it in check.
If you are T2 and you accept your condition, you take preventive action, you actually improve your lifestyle because you regulate your sleep, your diet and your exercise. That makes you feel, work and play better. That sounds like a cure to me!
I consider myself cured of bad diet, poor sleep and lack of exercise. I “reversed” the symptoms that caused the disease and cured the poor attitude I had towards these things. Now I live better, am in the right weight range, and enjoy myself more.
Francis
PS sorry about the motivational speaking, but I hope this helps!
I did like you and got back the quality in my life, got rid of tons if medication and it really thought it was my ageing that made my body ache but I realised I am one year older than last year but feel as I did 12 years ago.:)

berlioz

I'm a good example of that - I was diagnosed in 2010, early, (my GP was watching me like a hawk - I think he was running a book on me!) with an HbA1c of 6.5. I went straight back on to Atkins Induction, which I know from past experience suits me and works for me. 3 months later the HbA1c was 5.6, and it's never been above that since. My lowest was 5.2; 5.3 this April. I'm aiming for the 4% club.

My blood pressure is fine, as is my liver function - how I don't know, 'cos I like my red wine :wink: . My lipid profile is great, too - Total:HDL ratio is 3.5:1. I don't take statins. My diet is about 75% fat, 8% carb, and the rest protein.

I've lost about 60lbs so far; slower than the last time I did Atkins, but this time I'm not worried about weight loss. As long as my BGs are where I want them - in the non-diabetic range - I'm happy. :D

Viv 8)

Viv 8)
I was diagnosed type 2 about 5 and a half years ago with an HBA1c of 102. 4 years of trying to keep to the diet advice given and faithfully taking Metformin, and eventually Gliclazide, did little to get things under control. I have been on a LCHF diet for about a year and a half now and was able to come of all diabetic medication within 6 months. My latest HBA1c result was 31 (GP was gobsmacked) and I have also lost 5 stone in the process. I am still not able to come off blood pressure tablets yet but it is much improved. You can definitely reverse type 2 diabetes with this diet and it is not difficult to stick to it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a low carb diet a lot of People do get too little pottasium and that can be the reason why blood pressure is Staying too High. One could take it as a little supplement if one can not find enough in the food of ones choice

susieq99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None.
I am very keen to talk to people who have actually reversed or 'cured' type 2 diabetes. I am doing a study of the possibility of the potential to use diet or any other methods.
I would be hugely grateful to anyone who will talk to me about their success or otherwise.
I am a former Senior Research Fellow and now I am diabetic myself.
Many thanks.
Don
Hi.I have had all my blood tests back a week ago.There were for Diabetes 2 All normal for last 3 month's, Doc says that what I've been doing must have worked. Thyroid normal.Cholesterol back to normal. What has changes. For the last month I have changed my diet to low carb, Dropped bread and butter from my diet. Take Benecol each morning,Sugar free.But The biggest thing is I take 2 tsp Turmeric [fresh] with ginger and garlic topped up with Honey 2 tsp apple cider vinegar 2 Tps and juice of a lemon. I have read somuch about Turmeric.that although its not the greatest taste its no nasty.Take in the morning and will continue.No more itchy skin,tiredness is lifting and have more energy.can't be bad.

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
Thanks for this reply, I probably fit into this well, great first two years, then sloppy, put on pounds, just a few treats etc.. Now back on the straight and narrow and realise can't cheat the system. Only recently back in the 6's. I will hopefully remain and will heed these good words

Reactions: Brunneria