advice please

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ok hi have not been feeling myself for months perhaps last November. But over the last eight weeks or so I have been terrible I have had absolutly no energy, tyerd & lathargic. I have also been drinking like i am in stephen king novel and as for pissing its every 30mins or there abouts. I eventually went to see the doc a week or so ago and he sent me for tests for daibetes. This week I got a letter saying they could not get me on the number provided and could i ring them asap and make a appointment for a 30mins consultation. So I rang and they said that they couldnt fit me in till next Tuesday. Since then I have spoken to some friends that are diabetic and one said he had forgoten his tester but he would meet me the next morning at 9.15am. the next morning before I met him I spoke to anothr mate who had his kit with him and said he would test me . By this time I had only had 2cups of tea and 2 crumpits arround 45mins earlier. my reading was 14.9. So I descided to do and experiment and ate a small packet of sweets arroud 30mins before my other mate was due. When he tested me itt had rocketed to 24.9. And I was feeling like s**t andd did for the rest of the day. I havent been offically told I am diabetic but I think the evidence strongly points to it. I have tryed to contact the docs today but they have said that I cant talk to someone till tomorrow at 9am and then only over the fone. I think I need to see some one before next tuesday as I still feel not right. I am also supposed to be going away for the weekend. also for the first time in my life a little scared of food incase it makes me feel like it did yesterday. To be honest whatever i eat at the moment starts to make me feel slightly ill arroung 15mins after eating hense I feel hungery while also feeling as if I dont want to eat. Any advice greatfully apreciated.
Apologies for spelling and grammar but I am also dyslexic.

Regards james

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi whompa73, welcome to the forum. I was only diagnosed in Jan of this year so am no expert but if you can,t get to see your doctor and are that worried maybe you should go to your local A&E and ask to be checked out. Just another thing, i thought it would be better to test your blood glucose first thing in the morning before you eat as this is what my doctor does Perhaps your friends can advise you better. Good luck and i hope u feel better soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

beercan

Hi,
You should defo go and see your doctor,or go to a walk in centre. They can do a glucose test for you. They do a blood test then you drink a glucose drink and wait 2hrs and they test again. This will give a good reading of how your body deals with sugar etc Do any self tests in the morning before eating or drinking this gives a good indication of your levels.
Best of luck

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Cheers guys. Obviously I dont have any real understanding of it or what to expect as of yet. Or even what the dangers are (eating not eating ) I feel better if not eaten for good a while than when I have eaten somthing even if its something I perceive as being healthy it can still make me feel **** for an hour or so but then of course when you feel hungry or as if you should eat. You dont particularly want to coz you think you going to feel **** and would rarther feel hungry but there again I beleive not eating can have its own hazards. I just dont know enough and its slightly confusing and easy to make presumptions on what little info I have
Cheers james

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Today only had 2 cups tea a small chicken muffin/bap and packet of chrisps arround 9.30am and a coffee about 12.30 and of course plenty of water. 7 1/2 hours after eating blood glucose is 14

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Whilst you are waiting for your appointment you might feel better if you reduce your carb intake as carbs convert to glucose - drink plenty of water and steer clear of sweet stuff then get to see your doc as soon as you can.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ok mow officially type 2 diabetic. . Got a load of stuf to get out of my diet and gota go get a prescription for sommat of other in 1/2 hour. Sounds stupid but I am glad . I have felt **** for so long and its gradually got worse. I have been up and down like a yoyo I've had no energy to the point of being absolutly knackered now I know that it is an actual problem not just me and it can be delt with is a massive relief

H

Hooked

whompa73 said:
Ok mow officially type 2 diabetic. . Got a load of stuf to get out of my diet and gota go get a prescription for sommat of other in 1/2 hour. Sounds stupid but I am glad . I have felt **** for so long and its gradually got worse. I have been up and down like a yoyo I've had no energy to the point of being absolutly knackered now I know that it is an actual problem not just me and it can be delt with is a massive relief

Glad to hear you have finally got your diagnoses. There's lots of help and info on here on healthy eating, cutting down carbs and diabetes. Hope you are feeling much better soon.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome

you can expect to go through some ups and downs emotionally, especially as you learn what the implications are of diabetes, and then the realisation of the change in lifestyle demands but try to relax and take as much as possible in youe stride, there is alot to take in at first, please feel free to ask us questions when they crop up.

Good Luck

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hello Whompa and welcome to the forum.

You will find there are a lot of good people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge and kindness. Things may be a little confusing for a wee while but folk here aren't shy about answering questions and helping people through the confusion. The diet forum is a good one to look at, personally I went to low carb route but not as low as some folk. I started by cutting down my carbs by half, changing white bread for a small burgen soya and linseed loaf, cutting out potatoes and changing sugar for sweetener(best one i have found so far was the yellow topped granulated Asda own brand) going for a wee walk every day. Admittedly I did feel a wee bit shabby for a few days but I think it was my body reacting to sugar withdrawl.

Its now about three weeks since my diagnosis, I have lost weight albeit slowly, I feel a lot better now than i have in a long time. I do test before I eat then 2 hours after my meal just to see how the food has effected my Blood sugar. I now have 3 weeks worth of meals/food that I can safely eat. Everyone is different of course and what works for one person wont for someone else.

Just keep asking questions and someone will answer them for you.

Good luck.

Mark

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Cheers mark . I have prety much always been heavy but about 5 years ago I decided to loose the weight. I was arround 23 st and had trouble walking due to a accident (before accident i had spent 12 months doing everything from martial arts to running, badminton, boxing ect and was superfit 13 stone and prety ripped or atlesst for me lol) got down to 14.5 st prehaps at times a little lower I swam 3 to 5 times a week 40 lenths each time ( swimming is one of the only exercises I csn do due to acciden and having knees reconstructed) last year I lost all get up and go and energy hense syopped swimming I also went back up to arround 21 st I have come backdown to about 18.5 but that wss 2 weeks ago and I think I have lost some more especially in the last few days as my eating habbits have vastly changed as has the way I feel. I am determined to beat it . If I fully ge energy back and start swimming again I think I shiuld be the master of it rather than it be the master of me. I sm nit new to changing diet snd lifestyle I have had to do it before to loose the weight and when I put my mind to it I can have unbreakable determination (or very nearly lol). What broke me last year I beleave must have been the early symptoms of the diabetes obviously I then let myself go. Not understanding what was happening to me. Now I know and can atleast get the help and the knowledge I think it should be all good ( that what I'm telling myself anyway lol)
Hope you all have a fantastic day
James

SPARKLE4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Whompa,
Sorry to hear you have been feeling pretty rubbish but hopefully now you know why you will soon be feeling better.
It may be a little bit of 'trial and error' but stay positive.
Best wishes

dietme10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Andi,

Low Carb 30g (ish)

Hba1c 106 in Feb 2013 BMI 31.0
Hba1c 56 in May 2013 BMI 26.0
Hba1c 41 in July 2013 BMI 23.6

I am really fascinated with the level at which your Hba1c and BMI is gradually reducing on your low carb diet. Any help as to how you re doing it will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
dietme10 said:
Hi Andi,

Low Carb 30g (ish)

I am really fascinated with the level at which your Hba1c and BMI is gradually reducing on your low carb diet. Any help as to how you re doing it will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

hi, don't know where to start....

ok I warn everyone to switch over channels this could get boring

history pre diagnosis
usually 19 stone , big boned, big built, hard manual worker, ate 15 takeaways a week,
a typical day for me upto the 9th of February 2013
6am Weetabix x4 loads odf milk and sugar
10am mcdonalds brekkies x2
1pm sausage in a roll (from snack wagon) mars bar & crisps
6pm Chinese or indian or kfc or mcdonalds or kebab & chips or sausage and sausage in batter with large chips or or or...
watching tv at night maybe 2 packets of crisps and a large cadburys whole nut or similar
my little one has insulin issues etc so home eating has always been healthy since she was 2 so I never ate at home always had a takeaways on the way home from work

my symptons where just thirst, ridiculous thirst so my wife tests my bg with my daughters monitor and I was 24.9 so I rang doc he said go see him, out of hours so I did he tested my wee and said I had keytones so I had to go to a&e so I spent the night up the hospital for what I don't know, they put me on a drip for what I don't know so I discharged myself at 3am

so I go to the doctors next day I think and he told me I was a ticking bomb as my bp was 250/125 cholesterol was 6.3 etc and I was 5 years away from major organ failure, 4 years earlier my dad died from diabetes, he was a heavy drinker and eater and diabetes didn't stop him from doing either, so he had a heart attack at 67 and died there in the living room watching the telly, good for him very very bad for everyone else lol

so you see I come from a standpoint of having a really huge room for improvement dietarily and a huge insentive for not dieing and another huge incentive to show a good example to my little one on how she should attack things

ok now to your question

basically I have listened to this forum for everything, right or wrong I listened, im no brain surgeon and have tried researching stuff etc but find it very hard to understand so I taken on board the low carb theories as the way to go I know not all agree but this sounded good to me and started lower carbing, I got the "myfitnesspal" app on my phone and set about recording everything I eat, being shocked at the carbs in stuff and learning each day different ways to reduce my carbs, each day or so I would try to change what I ate to reduce my carbs even by 1g and then find an alternative to that meal and save another gram, some experiments were a disaster, for example I tried to like fish which I never ate because I hated it, well the wife cooked me some cod in parsley sauce and I was looking forward to it because I knew I had to be sensible and try to like stuff I didn't before, well I actually cried while eating it, cant remember who said it but I had one eye on the forum and had mentioned I was trying fish which I hated and as I was eating it I read a reply saying "don't you dare eat the fish" well this was a revelation for me and decided I would not under any circumstances eat something I didn't enjoy, and haven't since, if I try something no matter how difficult it was to cook I just throw it away no exceptions, so yes here I am taking 2g of metformin a day bp meds and statins (I have played with the meds but that's a story for a different day) so I get my carbs down to 30g ish which was impossible in my opinion until I made it :) I taught myself to cook/bake which no small amount of help from folks like WhitbyJet and ewelina and every weekend bake myself some low carb treats, it totally keeps me sane, I test like crazy or did, before and after eating and other times if im wondering about certain foods, ie I read about fat slowing down the carbs so if I ate a really fatty meal I tested 1 hour 2 3 4 5 for instance and after a long while bgs settled down and actually started to make sense, I eat as much fat as I like, I actually look for fatty foods and take great pleasure telling people who ask me how I do it that im on a high fat diet, I mention the fat before the carbs because it fraks people out and this gives me an excuse to talk about it which I love doing, my weight is 13.2 stone (I was 17.1 at dx) my bp is 110/65 avg. cholesterol is 4.3 (that's a drop of 2 without taking statins which im now taking so thatll be interesting

a typical day now

6am fage natural greek yogurts with berries and linwoods ground flax sprinkled on top
10am hand full of almonds
1pm salad with some cheese of slice of ham or a subway salad with spicy Italian or something like that
6pm evening meal an omelette with cheese and peppers for example
6:30 jelly and cream (every night) lol

sunday dinner ill have lots of meat and veggies and no potatoes or Yorkshire puddings (cauliflower mash instead)
spaghetti bolognaise minus the spaghetti
home made curry minus the rice
homemade beef burgers with salad and lettuce wrap for the burgers no bread
never have bread unless im totally stuck somewhere and have no choice but even then ill maybe buy 2 sausage sandwiches and throw away the bread etc you get the idea....

my bgs improved quite quickly the lower my carbs went which confirmed for me that I was on the right course

I joined a gym and started training with a personal trainer on Saturdays, I found that I only really enjoyed the running machine so now I go jogging at night and do a 5k park run on Saturday mornings, that took some building up to but am happy to be doing the runs, I found that if I don't exercise that my bgs go from 3-6 to 5-9 so I think its essential for me to keep control, I look like having CKD which im avoiding going to the doc about I did try but it didn't go well, I have been advised by a good friend to go and insist on further investigations but have come to the conclusion that im following the course of action they would recommend anyways.

I have made all this sound seemless and easy, well its easy to say, ive lost count of the bad days and weeks, set backs seem to be part of it, diabetes was my obsession, it kinda still is but im chilling out a little bit and have moments when im not thinking about it, I rarely cheat at all, I take the meds when im sposed to, I live it, its the only way for me im an all or nothing kinda person. I fee very sorry for folks who have less to change, the ones that get diab when they are already fit and eat healthily, or the folks that cannot exercise due to other health issues, and I feel bad for people that try and fail, its easy for some and impossible for others to stick to, I think that's probly genetic or something, I don't think its anyones fault who fails, they just failed, like some people are good runners or good at maths, its not my fault I suck at football ill never be able to play football no matter how hard I try well its the same with food, some people can follow a diet some cant like some people don't mind the dentist some are terrified, I know that sounds like a cop out but I don't mean it like that, I just think its harder for some than others and as long as people are trying they deserve as much respect as the ones that have succeeded

I would put my "success" so far down to

this forum, when im here I feel like its the only place people get what im going through
myfitnesspal app
friends made here giving great advice
determination
deprivation
low carb home cooking
finding low carbing a game and a challenge has helped, its not like a diet its a way of life so ive tried to find ways of eating that I think ill be able to follow forever give or take.

I hope I can carry on eating this way and keeping control for a zillion reasons and if there is anything at all I can do to help anyone else im more than happy, I owe it after all the help I have gotten and still get.

sorry I probly missed loads of stuff, I just got home from 4 days fishing and im knackered hehe

any specific stuff I missed that you want to know please ask

sorry for hijacking the thread :)

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Andy 12345 - wow nothing to say but wow well done and keep it up - wow lots of respect

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Andy12345 said:
dietme10 said:
Hi Andi,

Low Carb 30g (ish)

Thanks

hi, don't know where to start....

ok I warn everyone to switch over channels this could get boring

history pre diagnosis
usually 19 stone , big boned, big built, hard manual worker, ate 15 takeaways a week,
a typical day for me upto the 9th of February 2013
6am Weetabix x4 loads odf milk and sugar
10am mcdonalds brekkies x2
1pm sausage in a roll (from snack wagon) mars bar & crisps
6pm Chinese or indian or kfc or mcdonalds or kebab & chips or sausage and sausage in batter with large chips or or or...
watching tv at night maybe 2 packets of crisps and a large cadburys whole nut or similar
my little one has insulin issues etc so home eating has always been healthy since she was 2 so I never ate at home always had a takeaways on the way home from work

my symptons where just thirst, ridiculous thirst so my wife tests my bg with my daughters monitor and I was 24.9 so I rang doc he said go see him, out of hours so I did he tested my wee and said I had keytones so I had to go to a&e so I spent the night up the hospital for what I don't know, they put me on a drip for what I don't know so I discharged myself at 3am

so I go to the doctors next day I think and he told me I was a ticking bomb as my bp was 250/125 cholesterol was 6.3 etc and I was 5 years away from major organ failure, 4 years earlier my dad died from diabetes, he was a heavy drinker and eater and diabetes didn't stop him from doing either, so he had a heart attack at 67 and died there in the living room watching the telly, good for him very very bad for everyone else lol

so you see I come from a standpoint of having a really huge room for improvement dietarily and a huge insentive for not dieing and another huge incentive to show a good example to my little one on how she should attack things

ok now to your question

basically I have listened to this forum for everything, right or wrong I listened, im no brain surgeon and have tried researching stuff etc but find it very hard to understand so I taken on board the low carb theories as the way to go I know not all agree but this sounded good to me and started lower carbing, I got the "myfitnesspal" app on my phone and set about recording everything I eat, being shocked at the carbs in stuff and learning each day different ways to reduce my carbs, each day or so I would try to change what I ate to reduce my carbs even by 1g and then find an alternative to that meal and save another gram, some experiments were a disaster, for example I tried to like fish which I never ate because I hated it, well the wife cooked me some cod in parsley sauce and I was looking forward to it because I knew I had to be sensible and try to like stuff I didn't before, well I actually cried while eating it, cant remember who said it but I had one eye on the forum and had mentioned I was trying fish which I hated and as I was eating it I read a reply saying "don't you dare eat the fish" well this was a revelation for me and decided I would not under any circumstances eat something I didn't enjoy, and haven't since, if I try something no matter how difficult it was to cook I just throw it away no exceptions, so yes here I am taking 2g of metformin a day bp meds and statins (I have played with the meds but that's a story for a different day) so I get my carbs down to 30g ish which was impossible in my opinion until I made it :) I taught myself to cook/bake which no small amount of help from folks like WhitbyJet and ewelina and every weekend bake myself some low carb treats, it totally keeps me sane, I test like crazy or did, before and after eating and other times if im wondering about certain foods, ie I read about fat slowing down the carbs so if I ate a really fatty meal I tested 1 hour 2 3 4 5 for instance and after a long while bgs settled down and actually started to make sense, I eat as much fat as I like, I actually look for fatty foods and take great pleasure telling people who ask me how I do it that im on a high fat diet, I mention the fat before the carbs because it fraks people out and this gives me an excuse to talk about it which I love doing, my weight is 13.2 stone (I was 17.1 at dx) my bp is 110/65 avg. cholesterol is 4.3 (that's a drop of 2 without taking statins which im now taking so thatll be interesting

a typical day now

6am fage natural greek yogurts with berries and linwoods ground flax sprinkled on top
10am hand full of almonds
1pm salad with some cheese of slice of ham or a subway salad with spicy Italian or something like that
6pm evening meal an omelette with cheese and peppers for example
6:30 jelly and cream (every night) lol

sunday dinner ill have lots of meat and veggies and no potatoes or Yorkshire puddings (cauliflower mash instead)
spaghetti bolognaise minus the spaghetti
home made curry minus the rice
homemade beef burgers with salad and lettuce wrap for the burgers no bread
never have bread unless im totally stuck somewhere and have no choice but even then ill maybe buy 2 sausage sandwiches and throw away the bread etc you get the idea....

my bgs improved quite quickly the lower my carbs went which confirmed for me that I was on the right course

I joined a gym and started training with a personal trainer on Saturdays, I found that I only really enjoyed the running machine so now I go jogging at night and do a 5k park run on Saturday mornings, that took some building up to but am happy to be doing the runs, I found that if I don't exercise that my bgs go from 3-6 to 5-9 so I think its essential for me to keep control, I look like having CKD which im avoiding going to the doc about I did try but it didn't go well, I have been advised by a good friend to go and insist on further investigations but have come to the conclusion that im following the course of action they would recommend anyways.

I have made all this sound seemless and easy, well its easy to say, ive lost count of the bad days and weeks, set backs seem to be part of it, diabetes was my obsession, it kinda still is but im chilling out a little bit and have moments when im not thinking about it, I rarely cheat at all, I take the meds when im sposed to, I live it, its the only way for me im an all or nothing kinda person. I fee very sorry for folks who have less to change, the ones that get diab when they are already fit and eat healthily, or the folks that cannot exercise due to other health issues, and I feel bad for people that try and fail, its easy for some and impossible for others to stick to, I think that's probly genetic or something, I don't think its anyones fault who fails, they just failed, like some people are good runners or good at maths, its not my fault I suck at football ill never be able to play football no matter how hard I try well its the same with food, some people can follow a diet some cant like some people don't mind the dentist some are terrified, I know that sounds like a cop out but I don't mean it like that, I just think its harder for some than others and as long as people are trying they deserve as much respect as the ones that have succeeded

I would put my "success" so far down to

this forum, when im here I feel like its the only place people get what im going through
myfitnesspal app
friends made here giving great advice
determination
deprivation
low carb home cooking
finding low carbing a game and a challenge has helped, its not like a diet its a way of life so ive tried to find ways of eating that I think ill be able to follow forever give or take.

I hope I can carry on eating this way and keeping control for a zillion reasons and if there is anything at all I can do to help anyone else im more than happy, I owe it after all the help I have gotten and still get.

sorry I probly missed loads of stuff, I just got home from 4 days fishing and im knackered hehe

any specific stuff I missed that you want to know please ask

sorry for hijacking the thread :)
Very inspiring stuff Andy. I really felt your passion reading that ( not in a batty boi way ). You really put so elequently into words exactly how it is, the good, the bad, the difficulties and the positives.
All I can say is that your family, especially your daughter, must be very proud ;-)
Mo

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow, im touched, i kinda regretted writing that as i felt it was an over the top answer to the question, your responses have shocked me in the nicest possible way, thankyou