Breakfast for health!!

Netty70

Kerry-Michelle said:
I normally have a bowl of cereal either Alpen, Weetabix or a small packet of the Nesquik cereals as a treat.. Which I find does not spike me at all... Happy days :) also if I'm not at work I will make myself an omelette with a little cheese in or fruit pancakes :) I tend to have the omelette as a brunch with a little salad on the side.. Depends how busy I am :)

I've loved reading this post as it shows how different we all are :)

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the lovely weather :)

Kerry xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

How very true Kerry I thought I was on my own but I most definitely am not
And yes it's strange how some can cope with certain food and others can't odd!!!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your wkend :)

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip re peanut butter Getunconscious - I will be off to Sainsburys for that one.

I noticed you recommended the Carrot Cake (in another thread somewhere I think - correct me if I am wrong ) - do you replace all the flour with wholemeal flour and what do you use for the frosting? Would love to make one of these.

Thanks

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
A few years back I would have 60g of porridge made with 1/2 pint semi skimmed milk (slow release carbs are good for us, remember?) a yoghurt and cup of tea. I would then spend an hour or more on the sofa waiting for my body to recover. Now I have lost a great deal of weight I can have the same breakfast, with a lower carb yoghurt that's 6g instead of 15g, and I don't have any effects. The weight loss is alowing me to eat what would have hurt just a few years ago.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
Now I have lost a great deal of weight I can have the same breakfast, with a lower carb yoghurt that's 6g instead of 15g, and I don't have any effects. The weight loss is alowing me to eat what would have hurt just a few years ago.

I noticed that too. On holiday I could get away with some chips or potato salad and the odd ice cream, in moderation of course. I also had lots of fruit, a lot more than normal, but still stayed away from things like melon, pineapple or grapes. None of it affected me but, I was also on my feet all day, walking around. Now that I am behind a desk again, I won't be trying it again. Still, it is encouraging to see that watching what you eat, losing weight and taking exercise does have noticably good effects.

GetUnconscious

Bluebell13 said:
Thanks for the tip re peanut butter Getunconscious - I will be off to Sainsburys for that one.

I noticed you recommended the Carrot Cake (in another thread somewhere I think - correct me if I am wrong ) - do you replace all the flour with wholemeal flour and what do you use for the frosting? Would love to make one of these.

Thanks

I would whip double cream until its stiff or use creme fraiche and you can add an artificial sweetener to it if you wish or sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top. I use plenty of walnuts in the cake, 6 eggs (the cake really benefits from this and becomes even more moist over time) and whole meal flour. You have to use a raising agent with the flower of course. Fat really comes down to personal preference. I tend to use Stork or Bertolli. I made mine using artificial sweetener and it tasted so good. I usually flavour mine with a bit of ginger and lots of cinnamon. It's very popular.

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
GetUnconscious said:
Bluebell13 said:

Thanks

I would whip double cream until its stiff or use creme fraiche and you can add an artificial sweetener to it if you wish or sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top. I use plenty of walnuts in the cake, 6 eggs (the cake really benefits from this and becomes even more moist over time) and whole meal flour. You have to use a raising agent with the flower of course. Fat really comes down to personal preference. I tend to use Stork or Bertolli. I made mine using artificial sweetener and it tasted so good. I usually flavour mine with a bit of ginger and lots of cinnamon. It's very popular.

Thanks GetUnconscious - off to buy some wholemeal flour - it sounds a lovely cake.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
GetUnconscious, many thanks for the info about Sainsbury's basics crunchy peanut butter. I have just looked and it's only 3.9g carbs per 100g, I shall be buying some. :D

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cottage cheese, scrambled eggs with philadelphia cheese, porridge with a blob of peanut butter, burgen toast with peanut butter

Stellaau

mine this morning

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 967

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I know we shouldn't, in theory skip breakast, but I often do, especially if I'm going out to the gym just ater 7. I might grab a bit of cheese from the fridge, or a single slice of Livlife, but that's about it. I make a choice of breakfast or traffic jams. I have to go through the famous Cow Lane Bridges, which are being redeveloped in the programme to update Reading Station. By 7:30, there are significant tail backs at the bridges and I hate sitting in the jam.
Hana

sarahanne

I usually have bite sized shredded wheat for breakfast with aome berries, did try honey and nut ones but they were too much and i spiked within the hour! I have eggs and bacon at weekends but have also had Lidl own greek yogurt with berries too. I miss my porridge but the oats seem to spike me :( however, it's trial and error, we are all different and I'm sure you will find something that suits you and that you also like soon, good luck :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've just had brakfast with "other half" and small grandson. We had scrambled eggs. cooked SLOWLY in butter. The boys had ordinary toast. I had a slice of Livlife toasted. My total carbs 3.8.
Hana

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ryvita, 2 slices, low fat cheese and ham, 13 g of carbs, doesn't spike me, and low fat.
Coffee with skimmed milk.

Or Muller llight, 99 calories, and maybe some fruit, and the coffee with skimmed milk.

Hb1AC back into the normal range, and 3 stones lost in 5 months.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here is some information about importance of having breakfast:

Breakfast skipping has been consistently associated with increased cardiometabolic risks in children and adults, both in cross-sectional and longitudinal studies. These include higher risks for overweight and obesity, increased visceral adiposity, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and dyslipidemia. For example a longitudinal study of 29 206 men with a follow-up at 16 yrs revealed that breakfast skipping was associated with a 21% increase in risk of developing type 2 diabetes, even after adjustment for body mass index (BMI) (1). Another study of 211 diabetic patients found that breakfast skipping, prevalent in approximately 25% of the participants, was associated with higher fasting plasma glucose levels, but not with hemoglobin A1C (HbA1C) values, which is the gold standard measurement of longer-term glycemic control (2). The study that examined the effect of dietary counseling on glycemic control over a 3-mo period in 50 participants with type 2 diabetes found that those who skipped breakfast during the study had poorer metabolic control (3).

The endogenous circadian (24-h) timing system, controlled by the master circadian clock in the suprachiasmatic nuclei of the hypothalamus, plays a significant role in regulating a number of daily physiologic rhythms, including sleep/wake and feeding behavior, peripheral tissue metabolism, energy expenditure, and hormonal profiles. Many animal studies suggest the importance of the circadian system in body weight regulation as well as glucose and lipid metabolism. Laboratory studies in healthy volunteers have also demonstrated adverse metabolic consequences to circadian disruptions. Severe circadian misalignment, involving sleep/wake and meal schedules 12 h out of phase from their habitual times resulted in increased postprandial glucose and insulin levels, elevated mean arterial pressure levels, as well as decreased leptin concentrations. These data support the importance of the circadian timing system in metabolic regulation.

Recently published study demonstrated that both breakfast skipping and having a later chronotype are associated withpoorer glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes. Breakfast skipping is associated with a 10.8% increase in HbA1C of its original value. For example, given similar demographics, a breakfast eater may be expected to have an HbA1C level of 7%, whereas a breakfast skipper would have an HbA1C level of 7.8%. A reduction in HbA1C by 0.9% in patients with type 2 diabetes has been shown to reduce progressions of microvascular complications; 21% for retinopathy and 34% for albuminuria, a marker for nephropathy

1. Mekary RA, Giovannucci E, Willett WC, et al. (2012). Eating patterns and type 2 diabetes risk in men: breakfast omission, eating frequency, and snacking. Am J Clin Nutr. 95: 1182–9.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22456660
2. Kollannoor-Samuel G, Chhabra J, Fernandez ML, et al. (2011). Determinants of fasting plasma glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin among low income Latinos with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. J Immigr Minor Health. 13:809–17.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21181446
3. Schmidt LE, Rost KM, McGill JB, Santiago JV. (1994). The relationship between eating patterns and metabolic control in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). Diabetes Educ. 20:317–21.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7851248
4. Reutrakul S, Hood MM, Crowley SJ, Morgan MK, Teodori M, Knutson KL. (2013) The Relationship Between Breakfast Skipping, Chronotype, and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes. Chronobiol Int. 2013 Oct 4.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24094031

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I never used to eat breakfast.

Now it's the one meal I never miss.

In fact, I couldn't stomach food first thing, but I made a great effort, as every dietician and doctor and nurse agreed it was the most important meal of the day.

Seems to have worked for me.

tomersn

We know that "one day the morn," the first day with breakfast meals, is important for health.
"Breakfast is not the law, often do not eat, or just to meet under" a lot of people become "accustomed" lifestyle, health experts say: gallstone patients, about 90% of people do not eat breakfast or eat breakfast. The main reason is the body caused by gallstones prolonged fasting, bile secretion decreased over time, the gallbladder concentrates the bile can cause gallstones.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I'm T1 and veggie. I make a veggie packed omelette... whatever vegetables are in my fridge, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms etc. This morning I made a tomato salsa to go with it. Yummy :) I get up at 6am and prep all my food for the day every day so that I always have healthy choices else I would easily fall into a starchy abysss :)

Attachments

• 1388482545695.jpg
    1388482545695.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 185