First time with BG meter, how are these readings?

emporer

After tonights bbq marinated chicken kebabs on 2 wholemeal pittas my reading was 6.8, pretty good, pre dinner was 4.8.

Overall I'm getting the hang of whats been ok so far, to be honest I'm not looking to cut it all down to extreme levels as I'd never cope, but my levels are pretty good at the moment and in a month hopefully my next hba1 test will have improved.

As long aa my levels are ok then I'm happy really.

emporer

More testing the last few days, had a chinese the other night, some friends came round and I decided to have a little treat expecting it to be bad, chicken fried rice, some chips and some chicken balls with curry sauce, my level was 6.8 after a few hours and was 4,8 pre meal, yesterday I tried one of my favs, spag bol, was so sure the level would shoot up but again had similar readings and today the wife made a balti with plain rice, expecting the rice to be the culprit my level was 5.0 pre meal and 3 hours after I was 6.6.

Happy with these, I wanted to test rice and pasta stuff specifically this week to see how i'd react as lots of folks say its a no no for them but quite happy it appears ok for me as I do enjoy my curries!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brown rice and wholewheat pasta both work for me thank goodness. Using those ingredients and keeping to smaller portion sizes provides me with a good deal of menu options. Mostly, you can make up various curries or chinese style meals with left overs. You just need to keep certain spices in.

beetle

Dislikes
sitting inside on my bum
HI freddycat
Thanks for your info regarding numbers.
My readings are odd. I do the same as emporer, testing before and 2 hours after meals.soemtimes one hour after.
I had some readings with 5 pre meal and then 10.3 post meal.
Others only went up from 4.7 to 8.8.
Some take 3 or 4 hours to get lower than seven.
I guess thats no good ey?
Beetle
:)

Fraddycat

You should aim to be 7.8 or lower + 2hours after eating so I would say 10.3 is not good. If you can stay below 7.8 at +2 then you will minimize your risk of diabetic complications. I suggest you try a smaller portion of that food next time to find out if the same food works in smaller portions. It could be that the food that gave you the high reading is off the menu for now, but bringing your numbers down should really be your primary objective right now.

If there are foods you want suggestions for replacements of let me know. Keep going, you are heading in the right direction!

beetle

Dislikes
sitting inside on my bum
HI Freddycat
Thanks for your feedback. Yes i try to get my head around the carbs. I found rice & pasta give me very high 1 hour readings and high 2 hour readings post meal ( 11.3 and 10.3).
So now i try to cut the potions in half and see what that does. Will then try to introduce chicken, hoping the protein sort of keeps it all down. Dunno just an idea. Got a GTT on saturday :eh: and another forum member told me not to go low carb before test to ensure the test is right. So i will start low carb after test. Screwing up test would be silly wouldt it? :think:
I've been home last week , next week is back to work. I am a bit concerned since stress and being on my feeed is so tiring and i also had several i call them 'hypos" at work. I also lost two kilos in the last week which i dont like, since i'm skinny already and dont want to get any skinnier. :problem: So im in for an interesting week!
I'll let you know how its all panning out.
Beetle