Getting back on track

primmers

I got my diagnosis of Type 2 in January 2010. For the first year or so I did very well, reduced carbs, got my HbA1cs right down, lost weight and all went well. However, shortly before I had been diagnosed I was made redundant, and it took me until June this year to get a real job. The three years of temping and consequent financial insecurity chipped away at my morale - plus the fact I couldn't afford the BM strips and the GP wouldn't prescribe - and led to me slipping and sliding and all my previous good work coming undone.

Since June I've got myself a bit more on track. I've lost 10 lb, about 18 to go until I'm back at the weight that felt comfy for me and was within the healthy BMI range. But I'm really having trouble getting the motivation back. I know what worked the first time - regular testing, regular exercise (10k steps a day) and reducing my carbs to between 60 and 75 g a day. I've got myself some strips, dug out the pedometer and theoretically should be back in control.

The trouble is, I'm not. For every time I manage to chose a healthy snack there's a time when I choose a stupid one. And it doesn't seem to matter that I feel rubbish, physically and mentally, the next morning, even as I put the unhealthy food in my mouth I know I'll regret it BUT I STILL EAT IT.

Any insights as to what might be causing my irrational behaviour?

Any ideas how I can stop?

I haven't been to the GP for over a year now, and I'm not planning on going until I'm 'back in the zone' as I know if the HbA1c is up (which on the basis of my morning bloods it will be) they'll be pushing me towards medication. I'm getting my statins on auto repeat prescription and have kept up the retinopathy appointments at the hospital. I'm sure that I can diet control again once I get over this mental obstacle, I'd really appreciate suggestions.

Ta muchly in advance.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi primmers
I think we all probably find it difficult to answer because only you can sort out your problem ! Self motivation is the hardest thing This site has lots of good ideas and we do support one another but we cant be there to stop you putting the wrong things in your mouth and strap you onto the step machine .I know I could do with someone to force me to ride my bike that goes nowhere ,perhaps if you get a mental picture of all the posters on here tut tutting as you reach for the biscuits :evil: Sorry I cant be of more help but I will encourage you to GO FOR IT !!!!!!!
CAROL

mummy78

Re: R: Getting back on track

Carol is right (and I'm sure you know that already :) ). You did very well once so it's 100% sure you can do it again :) you know what is the best for you and you also know how to achieve your purpose. What do you need? Willpower (and you have it already:) ) and time.

You've just changed your life (in a good way) after a very hard period. Your mind and your body need time, you need to find the right equilibrium :) and...I know that a chocolate snack is better than an apple :)P) but what about a couple of biscuits now and then in place of chocolate?

~ Arianna ~

hornplayer

Primmers, so many of us are either in the same boat as you - diet wise, or struggling daily not to be, maybe your question hits a little close to home. Maybe people are waiting to see what replies you get that they can use too? Please don't think you're alone by any means!

I'm afraid I'm not someone who can give you diet advice. I struggle daily. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. My next blood test is in January. I have no idea whether it'll be better or worse than my last one. - the last one I had was way worse than my blood test strips suggested it would be, so I'm not optimistic.

Please don't give up?

We don't have all that much control in life but we can control whether we give up or keep trying.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I am in the same boat . Maybe we can support each other. Have a mini competition to see who eats less bad snacks , its a start.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App