to carb or not to carb!

meoman

Information around suggests that eating Carbs stimulates production of Insulin (even in Type2) and Insulin breaks down sugars (and reducing blood sugar number) plus can promote fat production (weight gain). Sometimes wonder then why I am low carbing to keep my blood sugars steady. Less carbs/sugar going in but less insulin released by pancreas in this mode.. Seems to contradict??.. thoughts?.. also can starch be simply classed as carbs or is there a subtle difference?..

meoman

also every doctor and nhs advice says plenty of starch on type2 regime.. Really cant fathom this out..

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Personally I know the basic science behind diabetes, but I glaze over when it gets too intricate.

I have very low carbed for about 15 months now and I have never felt better. Ive lost some much needed to lose weight. I also have much better hba1c figures. I know that if I eat too many carbs I feel like ****. So why would I eat them?

Thats enough science for me.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Lenny3 said:
Personally I know the basic science behind diabetes, but I glaze over when it gets too intricate.

I have very low carbed for about 15 months now and I have never felt better. Ive lost some much needed to lose weight. I also have much better hba1c figures. I know that if I eat too many carbs I feel like ****. So why would I eat them?

Thats enough science for me.

I quite agree! My bodies in the best shape it's been for years and my diabetic control is very good.

meoman

i agree that if you feel better and bs better then thats as scientific as needed.. i think i seem to be better bood sugar with general carbs than starch but cant figure out difference?... or are they the same?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Starch is a type of carbohydrate. If you go to wikipedia there is a good explanaton. Its all a bit complicated and Im still far form understanding all of that :roll:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I suspect that the "Carbs with every meal" stems from two roots:
1) The old insulin regimes e.g NovoLog Mix 70/30, needed you to maintain a relatively level insulin requirement to match this
insulin.This, when you realize your GP's diabetic education is only rudimentry :thumbdown: means that many do not understand
the problem IMHO.
The lumping together of all carbs regardless of speed of action means that advice on which carbs to consume requires more individual study and research than than the NHS can/will afford. (a 394ml dose of "lucozade" will spike me high, as my primary insulin response is goosed, but the secondary response draws me back down to non D BG well within T+2hrs. so if I stick to low GL foods I can keep my BG low :thumbup: )

meoman

Fergus
Thanks.. so the trick is to go low carb and keep to the better GL ones where I have to take some carbs?... any lists of the foods online that fall in to the low GL?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The reason for keeping the carbs down is that whether you have T1 or T2 diabetes the body lacks available insulin to manage blood sugar. With T1 the pancreas is producing very little insulin. With T2 your body may be swimming in insulin but the muscles become resistant to the insulin if obese and therefore it's not available. Either way you will need to keep the carbs down low enough to ensure your blood sugar is within range; meds may help. The NHS advice to have starchy carbs with every meal is seriously silly and bad advice. As others have said it's based on ignorance and mis-interpretation (whatever happened to evidence-based medicine?). It does help to smooth carbs out during the day to minimise spikes. 'Starchy' carbs actually has no meaning in practice despite the fact that the term is widely used. Grains before processing can be low-GI and 'starchy' and are much better than the highly processed white flour found in so many foods. Unfortunately these are still called 'starchy' despite being high-GI and bad. Most of us 'eat to our meters' i.e. we actually measure what we do and don't guess or follow NHS diet advice when it's based on invalid information.

collectingrocks

Carbohydrates can be complex (i.e. a polymer or chain of mono-saccharides) or simple (i.e. mono or di-saccharides). Starch are usually disaccharides which break down more easily into monosaccharides.

When glucose passes into the bloodstream from the gut, insulin is released to clear the bloodstream of glucose and where cells are resistant to insulin (as in T2 diabetes), glucose remains in the blood and causes inflammation around the body.

The opposite to insulin is glucagon. In the fasting state for example, where glucose levels are low, glucagon is released to convert glycogen (fat) to glucose which is released into the bloodstream and sent where needed. Low insulin means high(er) glucagon and vice versa. Insulin is a fat storage hormone whilst glucagon is a fat release hormone.

The "eat starchy carbohydrates" mantra or "eat whole grains" is a fallicy. Both starchy carbohydrates, whole grains and wheat break down to monosaccharides at the end of the day and raise blood sugar. I guess that the "eat starchy carbohydrates" means that they are slower to digest but this is not necessarily so as digestion of starch begins in the mouth with salivary amylase.

meoman

I agree.. why wasn't I told this 6 years ago by the medics... have to try find my own way out of this now..

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if type 1 you do not have to keep carbs low as an earlier point suggests.
Yes, you can keep carbs low to avoid less sugar swings But, if type 1 with no insulin resistance present, healthy weight, you are simply injecting the insulin supposed to your body producing it as in a non diabetic person, just have to learn how to do it correctly, as in carb counting, timing insulin to match carb absorption, accounting for any exercise etc. Even if a type 1 low carbing, still have to learn to inject to cover protein all be it smaller quantities resulting in less chance of errors due to smaller doses.

If type 2, usually insulin resistance is the main problem, resulting in excess insulin being produced by the body. Insulin being a growth hormone, produced in excess can then lead to weight gain, making weight harder to control. Reducing carbs will hopefully lead to less insulin being produced, resulting in a reduction to internal body fat, and hopefully improving the.insulin resistance for the individual. Add to this burnout to insulin producing cells, due to excessive insulin production a type 2 can then end up on insulin. Often having to inject much more than a type 1, due to their bodies insulin resistance.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

vicky_l

I have tried many options of eating and do best on low carb high fat the other options dont help my blood sugars and I do not feel as well on them

Have learnt loads but in truth thats enough to get me to try and stick to lchf I just dont stick to planned foods much so struggle however believe its best to eat lchf if diabetic

xoxox

meoman

brett im type2 medicated with pills.. blood sugars too high as not enough insulin produced... high blood sugars worsened by carbs as well as the poorly performing pancreas so unsure of your suggested scenario

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Meoman, if your blood sugars are high due to not enough insulin being produced (have you had a c~peptide test?) And are on meds and sugars still too high, would re~visit gp. Other meds may be able to be added, don't know your full individual circumstances. As a last resort if you are type 2 on full meds and still high, thats when insulin can be added. Though would depend on how severe or if any insulin resistance you have. If you are on full dose meds, then personally in that situation I would low carb and regular exercise if possible and continue to monitor.
Sometimes just the addition of a once daily long acting insulin does the trick. Best of seeing your gp. hope things improve soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

meoman

brett im also dieting to try assist bs reduction.. low carbing also to aid diet... doctor aware im trying options..

Rockape671

In my humble opinion, If you're T2, very low carb and exercise would be the way to go, no matter what weight you may be, and whatever exercise you may be able to do. You may be slim but may still be carrying excess fat around the liver area, causing poor insulin production and resistance. If T1, moderate carb and exercise. But we're all unique and if something is working for you, brilliant. If not, try something else.

K

Kat100

Sometimes everything gets frustrating because there are so many health problems and causes of t1 or t2 we can only offer suggestions..or share our own bits of knowledge or experience....But everyone must make their own decision.....nice to share though :)

Now I have a question please a fact true or false ? I have just paid my £104 health card for my medications for the year.....should I have not paid due to bring on metformin and thyroid meds....thanks for your help ..... Kat

meoman

dont know ref thyroid but do know that metformin is prescribed for diabetes thus you should be exempt from paying as a diabetic if you have your card.. if you dont have one then request from doc.. chemist may be able to accommodate a refund if card not with you yet...

meoman

you could call the card people and explain.. the paid for card would need swapping for an exempt card albeit it looks same.. we rang them and very helpful..