blood results too perfect!

jan1960

My daughter's recent blood results over past month have all been approx 5.4 but the hospital consultant doesnt believe she has been using blood to test as her hba1 doesnt tally with her daily readings. Has anyone ever heard of anything else being used to test in order to obtain good results?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Control solution? How old is your daughter and is she supervised when she tests?

I know I used to sometimes make up results as a kid so maybe that as well?

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All approx 5.4 is a bit suspicious.
Perhaps she is testing when she knows things will be lowish then eating things that raise bg after the test.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Without Knowing the kid I would say you would be niaive thinking its as harmless as that, also you cant fool a HBa1c or a consultant (trust me been there and tried) on the same note there is no point screaming and shouting at her.

jan1960

Thanks for all your posts. My daughter is 17. I am unable to supervise all her tests as she is at college sometimes and I am at work. However, I am going to supervise as many as I can to see what happens then. I also wondered about control solution? I have tried talking to her but at the moment she is adamant she has been testing correctly and I don't want to push it too much as we have had quite a few run ins about her control recently.

Thanks again, all advice welcomed.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi There.

Can you tell us what her HbA1c results were? It does sound a bit iffy. My Son who is 16 in on the pump, and has been for just over a year now he does sometimes fluctuate with his readings, even when he was on multiple dose before his pump. Maybe when she is at home and her Blood Meter is not with her you could have a sneaky look to see the times of the day she is testing. Also, I know you should use a control solution, but quite honestly James has not used the solution for some time. I know his DSN said he should but it has not made any difference to his control over all these years and his latest HbA1c was 6.3% which has been the best since his diagnosis at 3 years old. Try and not have a control solution to easy to hand when the one she has has run out. Sneaky I know but we have to be sometimes.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

x :)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder whether your daughter has concocted a sugar and water solution that she dips to achieve a constant reading?

I know I measured some draught coke because I wasn't convinced that it was the diet version. The reading was 1.6. It wouldn't be too difficult to experiment by adding sugar to get a higher sugar density.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Now I'm not saying this applies to your daughter, but a friend experienced that same kind of levelish results from his son at 6th form and of course the HbA1c proved otherwise. It all came out in the end and he was getting friend(s) to provide drops of blood for the strips. Once his friends were made aware they was not actually doing favours, the son had to test his own blood and eat/inject to a much better plan.

Yeah A complete blood count (CBC) provides important information about the kinds and numbers of cells in the blood, especially red blood cells,