How Low is Low, and is milk bad?

mike944

You could replace the milk with unsweetened soya milk if that is allowed. I'm not sure if nuts are allowed but if you need extra calories nuts are very high. Nuts like walnuts and brasil nuts are a healthy choice and low in carbs.

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone,

Douglas99, thats exactly what I wanted to know. As i'm only having it in shakes hopefully it will be fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The one i'm using is the lactofree semi-skimmed milk. Almost half the carb of the skimmed milk i was using (under 7.5g compared to 12g) and only slightly more calories (15) so i put a tad less in. It actually makes the shakes more creamy and nice, not that they weren't very nice before.

I hope it working. I have my glucose tester now. I had a pre-meal blood sugar of 5.2 yesterday and 7.9 two hours after. I'll keep any eye but things seem to be going in the right direction though its very hard to tell if its a large improvement due to my organ function improving/insulin sensitivity increasing, or just because im eating such a very low carb diet and very low cals alongside a lot of water. I guess the acid test at the end would be to eat something bad and see if my BS rocketed.
Lost over 10 lbs now so its certainly proving effective in that regard.

Thanks, Raspin

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SamJB, wow, thanks for the heads up on Almond milk I looked at it online when you mentioned it but it seemed comparable to lactofree milk.

When i went to the supermarket they were out of lactofree so i picked up a carton of unsweetened almond and its like 13 calories per 100ml and only 0.3g of carb and it tastes great in the meal replacement shakes.

I suppose when i looked initially i must have been looking at the sweetened variety by mistake.

Thanks anyway. Shaved 14g off my daily carb intake and it tastes good! :)

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bear in mind that you are now 52 calories under budget per shake, as you're missing the calories from the milk.
About 85 from 250ml skimmed milk, as opposed to 33 from the almond milk.
That's about the 13g of carbs you're saving.

You could equally use water, or just put less powder in normal skimmed milk and get the same saving, but remember you're down on calories.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you really want to shift the diet away from carbs to fat for calories, you could do as solestar suggested.

Make the shakes with water, put in double cream to make up the shortfall.

Measure accurately as a ml of cream has near enough 5 calories, you'll need about 18ml of cream.

How that actually works for the diet, I've no idea, you'll have to report back.

You're probably getting into VLC territory, how that works with the low calories I've no idea.

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Douglas, I'm using the almond milk as I want to try and cut out the dairy. Craig mentioned on the previous page that dairy had a high insulin response and suggested it may be the reason it was left out the newcastle diet. I had a look and there is a lot of people suggesting similar. Fish is apparently the same.

Although i'll obviously be eating fish and chicken in the long run, just for this 8 week period (6 weeks now) I won't be to see how effective losing weight with low carbs can be on my BS/insulin resistance. Almond milk isn't dairy and is really low in carbs so win win.

You are right, i have around a 110 cal deficit a day but I plan on making that up in veg as thats just a whole onion or bell peppers (both around 40 cals per 100g). Maybe some avocado if i really need to make up a big deficit in calls, man avocado is high in cals for a veg (160 per 100g), and high in fat too but its good fat apparently..Not much of it though, I'm still keeping the fat low too.

Im just winging it and I keep finding new bits of info that make me tweak what i'm eatting. For example the other day i discovered, for a veg, carrots are quite high in carb so dropped them for the time being. Never liked them that much anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Douglas, I'm using the almond milk as I want to try and cut out the dairy. Craig mentioned on the previous page that dairy had a high insulin response and suggested it may be the reason it was left out the newcastle diet. I had a look and there is a lot of people suggesting similar. Fish is apparently the same.

Although i'll obviously be eating fish and chicken in the long run, just for this 8 week period (6 weeks now) I won't be to see how effective losing weight with low carbs can be on my BS/insulin resistance. Almond milk isn't dairy and is really low in carbs so win win.

You are right, i have around a 55 cal deficit a day but I plan on making that up in veg as thats just a whole small onion or bell pepper (both around 40 cals per 100g). Maybe some avocado if i really need to make up a big deficit in calls, man avocado is high in cals for a veg (160 per 100g), and high in fat too but its good fat apparently..Not much of it though, I'm still keeping the fat low too.

Im just winging it and I keep finding new bits of info that make me tweak what i'm eatting. For example the other day i discovered, for a veg, carrots are quite high in carb so dropped them for the time being. Never liked them that much anyway.

A full avocado is about 12g carbs, but you'd probably only need about a third of one for the total calories with the fat, but an onion. is mainly carb though, so you'd be looking at 12g carbs again.

fatbird

douglas said "A full avocado is about 12g carbs,"

Kman squeezes my melon you are pulling my avocado. Avocado 1,9 grams of carb per 100 grams. At 12 grams of carb it would be the size of a melon.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yep, didn't take the fibre out, I'd allow 3g per average avocado.
Doesn't make a vast difference for this though, still a third of an avocado to make up the calories, just it'll be 1g of carb, not 4g, then the rest still from the fat.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avocado is between 1.9g per 100g and 3g per 179g net carbs according to the Hamlyn GI and GL guide, just as well as I eat one every single day! They are brilliant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...so better to stick with the pepper then. Green ones have lower carbs then red or yellow, 4.6 vs 6, I suppose they are less ripened. Its certianly a hell of a balancing act.

Thinking about it maybe the smart thing to do would be double the amount of almond milk to 500ml but stay with the two scoops. That way i'd only be 45 cals down each day rather than 110. I could make this up easily with 25g avacado. I'd have to try the shake with 500ml almond milk to see how palatable it is.

At the moment i'm focused on food as fuel rather than food for the pleasure of eating which is just as well :)

I think im going to start eating more avocado as its on the ok list of the newcastle diet and, tbh, eatting 200 cals of veg can mean a huge amount of veg in front of you when made up of 35 cal per 100g cauliflower & broccoli, 25 cal per 100g green beans and 14 cal per 100g radishes & white mushrooms. Avacado could really bring down the size of the pile on my plate to less than half a kilo :) Good cos at the half way point i sometimes think "i don't even want the rest of this".

Last edited by a moderator: