Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Am a bit worried how l am going possibly a tad overboard but:

Handwritten on a daily basis
A food diary Settled down to just doing carbs count the rest was getting out of hand
A BG diary Time/amount and comments
An Exercise Diary Time, date of exercise, what exercise, duration, BG time/what (if taken) comments (excuse getting fit)

On Phone
A BG Diary Filled in every time l do bloods
An Exercise Diary ... Do daily excuse for if l am away and when home transfer to paper

Please someone tell me that you are as bad or worse :dummy1:

And l am spending to much time on here l blame everyone for that problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
WOO thats the way ;) I cheat a bit, my meter plugs into my computer so it gives me a chart of BG etc :pompous:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol, same i plug the meter in....can you go overboard? i dont believe so, but thats just me....and you it seems lol

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l spoke to Abbot last week, they were going to send me a cable for my Freestyle Lite... so they sent me another BG freestyle Lite monitor! l have reordered the cable...bless them :)

Thing is even when l get the cable l can see me keeping the paper copy and the computer one, At least l have an instruction book so have set it up on time and date and more important checking the memory.l always forget how to.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it more than you feel you should be doing? If yes, then cut down.
Are you missing doing anything else because of your record making? If no, then keep going.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you looking at the data and changing anything? If not, then it may well be OTT. I keep pretty much the same as you, and I know I am a compulsive, but I do look back and see if there's patterns. Not often mind, and I find things at so variable that its hard to detect anything.

My DN does look at it though if I call her for advice.

I quite like doing it if I'm honest but I do question the value from my perspective. Can't bring my self to cut down or delete any old data though

Barry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Yes Barry l try to look for any pattern and also make sure comments are filled in as you forget what something was on the day at the time. My first so far visit to my DN after about 2 or 3 weeks of keeping the BG diary at the very start she took off my midday dose of Metformin as so happy with things.
The variability is one reason why l keep comments and times. Like you l can not get rid of the data.

MID

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you should see my spreadsheet.

Daily logs of carbs, doses, ratios, graphs, overnight change, daily range (max-min), standard deviations, thats just for the diabetes.
On the other tabs I've got the exercise log, with weekly summaries for Bike, Run, ROw, others, consolidated into annual logs with graphs of time, distance, weight etc.

You want numbers crunching, I'm your man.

And then there's my other spreadsheets with training plans, macro and micor cycles etc

Reactions: 4 people

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds OK to me then, but should you take advice from a self confessed compulsive?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its amazing looking back after a while at what your numbers where like :) gives me shivers

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Dave l am not savy to that degree so envy you all l have is food diary from here and my blood and exercise diary l have knocked up on word and then drawn downward lines with a pen to separate columns.

At least l am not the only obsessive here makes me feel relieved

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
MID - I have kept ALL of my handwritten daily diaries/reports .
Handy to look back at any patterns in them etc .
Plus can take them along to both my DSN and dietician .
[ have severe medical intolerances plus food groups too
unable to digest well ]

I cut back on so much 'handwritten' data gradually over time .
Once I could see and recognise the patterns .
It did start to feel too much to write down again .
So in keeping hold of all that I had written down saved me from rewriting things!

Not overboard at all - simply very practical to me .:)

Reactions: 3 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
MID,
You're doing fine and once you're feeling more confident about what is going on you'll know what records you NEED to keep.
Now I only record my test results and food intake analysed by carbs,calls,fat etc. Helps me enormously if I have a problem or crises.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
its amazing looking back after a while at what your numbers where like :) gives me shivers

Yep - I find it both a fright and amazing .
I can also see how far I have travelled in my own journey too

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Anna and Alan and everyone. l am only keeping carbs am wondering if l should keep protein, fat and calories as well. Andy l think more scary would be how l was before this lot blew up. Diabetes has it's downsides but is looking like being a hell of a journey going places l never thought learning so much in a short space of time.
So a diabetic can deteriorate well so can a "healthy" person just the same as l can get hit by a car tomorrow and die. So long as l am doing what l can l can do no more to tip fate either way.

When Brian passed l was going to kill myself very easy in my job and done regularly. A few days after the accident l went for a long walk and talk with him at Langar and in the end promised him l would do the best to make him proud.
When l hit the after life it will be with a bundle of paperwork a link to this forum and a grin for what l have achieved in life that l never even thought about.
That so many people skydivers, non jump friends and people from here have given me confidence to try or do is a precious gift.

MID:happy:

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
MID , sounds a balanced approach. It's very much down to you. You can't have too much information and if your getting very little or strange advice from your GP a record is just the job. Its no skin off your nose if you want to give it a break later on. You should see the data and questions I have for my checkup on Monday morning lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Everything gets logged into the meter (Aviva Expert) so carbs, insulin doses including corrections, exercise and of course bg readings, I have to be the worst for keeping a bg diary so thank goodness for these modern meters:)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Everything gets logged into the meter (Aviva Expert) so carbs, insulin doses including corrections, exercise and of course bg readings, I have to be the worst for keeping a bg diary so thank goodness for these modern meters:)

Oh I have one of these 'now' .
Grand gadget and meter includes bedtime, fasting, stress and illness too .
Only had this since last year and it DOES save me from writing 'all' things down .

The learning curve of diabete's - moulds and shapes us to gradually see all the routes, places
and patterns it can take us on .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it is a good meter Anna, I quite liked the USB Next Meter I used before too, bg meters have come on so much in recent years and helps managing diabetes all the more easy.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Only this weds evening a lady was talking about her old very first meter.
It was like a housebrick in size - we are 'lucky' nowadays eh ,:joyful: