Ratios or basal?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in a bit of a quandry here as to whether I need to tweak the basal or the ratios. I've been running consistently low since Saturday at least. When I say consistently low, I mean <5 without any reduction in bolus dose to try and correct.

Saturday saw a general drift down from 4.8 on waking to 4.0 by 3pm.
Sunday was a screw up as I grabbed the wrong insulin after a morning row and gave myself 4 units of novorapid instead of levemir, and had to eat to correct
Monday needed correction to keep me up
Tuesday needed corrections
Yesterday I did basal test and stayed fairly steady, but dropped towards the end, reduce last nights adn this morning's basal as a result.

Yesterday's breakfast - 2 eggs on toast and an apple, woke at 4.4 so reduced bolus, still only went to 4.5 2hr post meal.
Last night pre bed was 4.9, so had a snack or two oatcakes
This morning porridge with nuts and berries, went from 5.1 to 4.4.

Exercise this week
Last Thursday 7.5km run and an hour yoga
Friday 10km run
Saturday none - nephew's birthday party
Sunday - 40 min row and an hour on the turbo trainer
Monday - an hour on the bike split into chunks getting to and from railway stations/addenbrookes
Tuesday - 10km run
Weds 10km run
Thsi evening will be an hour's yoga.

So is it basal or bolus or both?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a small reduction in Bolus is needed? Your morning fasting level is about the same as mine and seems OK, if like mine, a bit on the low side

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll leave basal alone for now at 3.5 and 5, that's almost 50% lower than pre-DAFNE.

My only nagging doubt is the DAFNE fixation with a 1U:10g ratio, whereas I'm on 1U:15g at the moment. I'm not sure I know of many people taking a lower ratio than that.

I took it down slightly at breakfast with 3U:50g rather than 3.5:50g. Ended up level with 5.1 pre meal and 5.2 at +2hrs.

Also going to try a new exercise dose reduction strategy tomorrow.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think you're doing fine Dave and a ratio of 1:15 is more common than you think, especially if still in honeymoon phase.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mum on 1u:14g (or 0.5:7g) for breakfast and dinner and DAFNE were fine with that. They said since I was in the honeymoon and the ratios were clearly working then why change it!

Lunch used to be 1:12g which worked for ages. Since last I've changed my lunch to a 1:10 to combat afternoon highs. The move of 2g has had a fairly drastic affect on my BG.

I wouldn't fiddle with the ratios just because DAFNE doesn't like it. If they work then great. If they don't then fine tune them carefully.

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree with Hale, DAFNE are only guidelines and will not suit all. We're all individual.

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont think you can complain with those results. I would blame it on some of those Yoga positions you get into, it will have the insulin flowing to the extreme corners of your body. Also when on the railways I would travel outside the suitcase.:D

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont think you can complain with those results. I would blame it on some of those Yoga positions you get into, it will have the insulin flowing to the extreme corners of your body. Also when on the railways I would travel outside the suitcase.:D
those modern suitcases are roomier than they look, like the Tardis

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember, dafne simply suggests a 1/10 ratio as a starting point. Then adjust depending on results. Many people do and will vary from that. We all need what we need, some more, some less.

Reactions: 2 people