Safe artificial sweetener suggestions for diabetic lemonade

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
It's not what you are looking for but I was bought a water filter jug a few years ago but never used it. When I gave up diet Pepsi I decided to try drinking water and began to use the jug and keep it in the fridge. It has a really fresh delicious and refreshing taste. I enjoyed it so much I've hardly noticed the change over and now do not miss the fizzy drinks. This worked for me so I challenge you to ditch the fizz and find yourself a healthy alternative.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Well after three weeks, I've got used to my teas and coffees without sugar. In fact, a good coffee is still good without the sugar I find. When I'm really thirsty, then its water with half a lemon. I do treat myself to 1 beer on a Friday evening with no adverse effects on my BG.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I ordered a bottle of Stevia for myself. When I told my wife, who has stopped using sugar for her own reasons, said that there is a belief among some nutritionist, that just the sweat taste alone may trigger the pancreas to produce insulin.

ambparker

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
i have also used bottles of zero calorie zero carb lemonade which I keep in the fridge and add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon into it.you can also use some of the yellow flesh as this is good source of soluble fibre.......can i use sweeteners which help maintain blood sugar ,

Reactions: 2 people

SandieB

I noticed recently that Stevia now comes in a tablet form, handy for your tea or coffee. I don't think it's as sweet as Splenda or the others, and in the large mug that I use for breakfast I now have to have two, but I haven't noticed any aftertaste.

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nosey, unkind and intolerant people; mushy-textured, doughy food
A previous poster is correct that the way the FDA approved the use of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners used in the US was absolutely criminal, and I won't bore you by going into it here. However, stevia has had problems getting FDA approval because it would cut sharply into profits enjoyed by big-name companies here that use aspartame, etc. in their drinks. We have only fairly recently - in the last several years - been able to get stevia in our stores here; however, now we can. I personally use only stevia in its granulated form. I have never much liked the taste of water, even with lemon in it, although that is much better. So I have developed the habit of drinking decaffeinated, flavored green tea, which I sweeten with stevia. I also use it just as I would sugar in recipes. Personally, I have not found there to be an unpleasant taste from the stevia, and I know from a lot of research I've done that it is not supposed to have the problems that other sweeteners do. I am actually going to get me some stevia plants from a local gardening supply place here to grow in containers on my patio with my veggies and herbs this spring/summer. The plants are quite attractive and are not supposed to be hard to grow. The leaves of the stevia plant are supposed to be 100 times sweeter than sugar. I am glad to know that "pavlosn" found a satisfactory solution to his problem.

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have just received my Diabetic Newsletter (which I receive daily) in my email, and it just so happened to be discussing sugar and high fructose corn syrup. In it, a Dr. Teitelbaum made the following comment concerning stevia, which I thought you might find interesting:
"For an all-natural sweetener that comes without harmful side effects, Teitelbaum recommends stevia, a no-calorie substance extracted from the leaves of South American stevia plants. He warns that some stevia varieties can be quite bitter, so he suggests trying Sweet Leaf stevia packets or Body Ecology liquid stevia drops for more palatable options" (I personally have not found the granulated stevia form I use to be bitter). "He also encourages soda addicts to try Zevia All-Natural Soda (sold at Whole Foods and other groceries) as a much healthier alternative to classic Coke.
Teitelbaum is an advocate of keeping sweeteners like HFCS and sugar where they count most — in desserts. He does, however, firmly maintain that dark chocolate is a health food because of it has a large amount of disease-fighting antioxidants. If you want healthy sugar-free chocolate, he says, choose a sweetener with a name ending in “ol,” such as malitiol. Malitiol is a sugar alcohol, which sweetens like sugar but with fewer calories and less of a negative effect on blood glucose."

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had been using Canderel, but my tablets ran out, I only have them in my black de-caff coffee. I could not find Canderel here so thought I would try the stevia tablets, I have the Natreen brand- disgusting!!! Very bitter!! Luckily I do not have a coffee every day!

I thought Canderel tasted bad, but the Stevia ones I have are worse:yuck::yuck:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I always have a bottle of iced water with me... Drinking room temperature water leaves me iwth a nauseous feeling. But having it iced is absolutely beautiful. I discovered it about 7 years ago during a hot summer and now drink it all year round.

I sometimes dash a bit of lemon in there too.... :playful:

also... I had to get sweetener for my porridge... decided on Stevia as it doesn;t have aspartame...!! I hope I like it.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Just tried a cup of coffee with some stevia. For me it taste HIDEOUS !. I've got so used to no sugar and I now enjoy my tea and coffee un sweetened. Hey ho, that £15 down the drain.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
can i use sweeteners which help maintain blood sugar ,

I use Truvia which is a combination of stevia extracts and erythritol which, although a sugar alcohol, does not have the same adverse gastric side effects. Although 100g of Truvia contains 99g carbs, you don't digest them but it is much kinder to your digestive system than other indigestible carbs.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yorkshire water, filtered through sandstone, peat and sheep droppings, puts hairs on your chest and keeps the neighbours away. Goes well with Yorkshire Tea.

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have heard that Truvia is good as well, but here is quite a bit more expensive, since it only comes in a very small bag. I have never tried the liquid or pill versions of Stevia, which others here apparently have and found it to be very bitter. However, as I said, I have used the granulated form for several years now both in drinks and in my cooking (even baking) and have not found it to be bitter at all.

S

Shiv Dixit

I suggest you to Drink Tea. Because It has No calories, big flavor, and a boatload of antioxidants have made tea—particularly green and black—trendy for healthy reasons, especially for diabetics. One Chinese study showed that black tea—not green or oolong tea—has the highest levels of polysaccharides, which slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream. Sipping four cups a day could lower the risk for developing diabetes by 16 percent, a new German study found. Tea may also help reduce your risk of stroke and heart disease. Exception: sweetened, bottled iced teas, which have tons of added sugar.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
One Chinese study showed that black tea—not green or oolong tea—has the highest levels of polysaccharides, which slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream. Sipping four cups a day could lower the risk for developing diabetes by 16 percent, a new German study found. Tea may also help reduce your risk of stroke and heart disease. Exception: sweetened, bottled iced teas, which have tons of added sugar.
Can we have a reference to this study?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I use bottles of zero calorie zero carb lemonade which I keep in the fridge and add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon into it. I also add some of the yellow flesh as this is good source of soluble fibre.

Never heard of that one. Zero calorie and zero carb with no aspartame? Interesting. Who makes it and where do you buy that from ??

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
My daughter in law has lost 4 stone since Christmas. She goes to the gym 5 times a week and works on a vibrating plate with a personal trainer.
Last month she did a 'Dryathon' where she was sponsored to give up alcohol,coffee,all processed foods and she lost another stone in a month.

She told me about coconut oil which she uses instead of olive oil and something called 'Agarve Nectar' which you can buy from Tescos for £2.50 a bottle.It isn't sugar free... It has 13 odd calories per teaspoon but it is low GI. Carbohydrate is 3.57g per teaspoon of which sugars are 3.04g.
"Our tongue jinglingly delicious Agave Nectar comes straight from the organically grown Blue Webber Agarve plant in Mexico. It makes a pretty groovy alternative to refined white sugar and artificial sweeteners and has a super low GI that banishes those sugary highs and lows.
Drizzle.Mix.Cook.
For a taste that's sweeter than a honeybee's breakfast,just drizzle Argave Nectar Light and Mild over food,stir into drinks or use in baking.
Ingredients. 100% Organic Agarve Nectar.
Storage. Dislikes the sun. Likes dry kitchen cupboards.
Agave Nectar Loves You All. Vegetarians,Vegans and kosher."
Made by The Groovy Food Company.
www.groovyfood.co.uk

I use a VERY small squirt in my morning tea. It is very sweet. Kindof like a mixture of honey and golden syrup.

It isn't sugar free as I said but I have gone through so many sweeteners and this fits the bill nicely.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Last edited by a moderator:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never heard of that one. Zero calorie and zero carb with no aspartame? Interesting. Who makes it and where do you buy that from ??

The lemonade I use is Morrisons Diet Lemonade which 2 cal per 100 ml but zero carbs. The sweeteners are acesulfame k and sucralose.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
No calories, big flavor, and a boatload of antioxidants have made tea—particularly green and black—trendy for healthy reasons, especially for diabetics. One Chinese study showed that black tea—not green or oolong tea—has the highest levels of polysaccharides, which slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream. Sipping four cups a day could lower the risk for developing diabetes by 16 percent, a new German study found. Tea may also help reduce your risk of stroke and heart disease. Exception: sweetened, bottled iced teas, which have tons of added sugar.

It's times like this when i am glad that I love my cuppa! When people ask me if I Drink? I respond, 'oh yes, I'm a terror for Tea!'

;):wacky: