1 mile run

noorin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey..
I just want to ask a question from all of you in how much time do you complete your 1 mile run..??
share with us

Last edited by a moderator:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
for a single mile I'd expect to be near 6 min, or even below

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I average a mile in about 7 minutes acording to the treadmill

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
8 minutes is a hell of a lot faster than the folks sitting on there sofas :)

i dont do single mile runs so i have no idea, i do 3.1 miles in about 26.30 so 8 minute mile is faster than me :) by the time i hit high teens I'm at about 11 minutes miles, this is apparently bad but can't help it, 20 mile at 1pm so going to try for some consistency today, or die trying of course

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
which reminds of a strange fact, no one before roger bannister had every completed a mile in under 4 minutes, it was considered impossible up to that point, since then over 20 thousand people have done it, which goes to prove that all we have to do is believe its possible and it can be done, this relates to diabetes and life in general me thinks

AndyH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO 8 mins for a mile is ok.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, and also how old you are.

My normal run is a very hilly 5 mile trail run. PB 45:00, although 48ish is more normal. I wouldn't consider myself a serious runner and I'm 55.

If you're new to running it's a good base to build from, but what's really important is that you get out and do some exercise, and enjoy it. Other than that, how fast you can run a mile in is not very important.

Andy

C

catherinecherub

Hey..
I just want to ask a question from all of you in how much time do you complete your 1 mile run..?? i complete in 8 min.. is it okay..??
share with me
[link removed]
I see from the information you have provided that you are a Type2, aged 23 and on diet only.
Do you need any help with your management?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's quite interesting for runners to think about how they match up with others but unless you're competitive then you can be fit but not amongst the fastest .. As Andy says it depends on your age and gender plus how long you've been training ,your natural ability and whether you are better at shorter or longer distances. There are also an awful lot of people who couldn't run a mile at any pace.
I couldn't run eight minute miles, If I could I would be running at 73% of the speed of the World record holder for my age and gender.
http://www.runningfreeonline.com/Tools/Running_Age_Grade_Race_Calculator
You can also assess your cardiorespiratory endurance with the Cooper 1.5mile test
(link also has other tests of fitness and flexibility)
http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/hhp/fahey7e/wellness_worksheets/wellness_worksheet_072.html

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be fit and active in my early 20s. Played a lot of sports, went skiing and mountaineering etc. I was never able to do the things these kids could do:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only recently started running..... Most of mine are about 10 minutes a mile for a single mile. If I go further.... Well.... The less said on that time the better!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite interesting for runners to think about how they match up with others but unless you're competitive then you can be fit but not amongst the fastest .. As Andy says it depends on your age and gender plus how long you've been training ,your natural ability and whether you are better at shorter or longer distances. There are also an awful lot of people who couldn't run a mile at any pace.
I couldn't run eight minute miles, If I could I would be running at 73% of the speed of the World record holder for my age and gender.
http://www.runningfreeonline.com/Tools/Running_Age_Grade_Race_Calculator
You can also assess your cardiorespiratory endurance with the Cooper 1.5mile test
(link also has other tests of fitness and flexibility)
http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/hhp/fahey7e/wellness_worksheets/wellness_worksheet_072.html

Exactly
on an ultra marathon or hilly fell race I'm going around 6-7min/km, that's 10-11min/mile.
On a steady training run, I'm doing around 5min/km
On a 10km race, around 4:18/km
For a hard 5km, around 3:58/km

So for a 1 mile/1.609km, I reckon I should be sub-6.

The original question had no context, just "how fast can you run a mile"

But back when I started running, I was an ex-rugby player and hated it, 3 miles in half an hour was good going at that point.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMO 8 mins for a mile is ok.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, and also how old you are.

My normal run is a very hilly 5 mile trail run. PB 45:00, although 48ish is more normal. I wouldn't consider myself a serious runner and I'm 55.

If you're new to running it's a good base to build from, but what's really important is that you get out and do some exercise, and enjoy it. Other than that, how fast you can run a mile in is not very important.

Andy
For a hilly trail runs, that'd be OK for a nice steady effort, but I'll bet you could do a single mile a lot quicker, 55 or not.

AndyH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a hilly trail runs, that'd be OK for a nice steady effort, but I'll bet you could do a single mile a lot quicker, 55 or not.

I remember a couple of years ago when I was doing a bit more structured training, I could do a track mile in about 7mins. But these days I've given up trying to compete as 1; I'm not very good, 2: I have dodgy knees, 3: I have a low lactate threshold, 4: After about 18 miles I cant get anything down and keep it down.

I did train for an ultra a couple of years ago, did several 20+ mile training runs and one thirty miler. Unfortunately, on the day, bombed out at mile 17 injured.

Now I just go for nice gentle trail runs, up to 15 miles, I find it much more enjoyable than "training". Now if you offered a 10k swim it'd be different.