Tar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi
I was diagnosed this week with type 2 diabetes and commenced on Metformin. However I am unwell due to have been sent home from work after a severe vacant episode where I got up walked one way, then another and walked into a cabinet. The reason was I felt I was going to faint, hot, sweaty, shivering, terrible sharp painful headache and feeling violently sick.

It's been 4 hours since symptoms started and they are all still here. Don't know who else to ask.

Are these symptoms Linked into new prescription of diabetic meds or should I really be worried?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
test your blood sugar's sound like a hypo low blood sugar.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First Metformin is known to cause stomach upset with many. This can settle but the Slow Release (SR) version is much kinder so do ask for the SR version. I think you need to get a meter urgently to check your blood sugar level just in case it has gone very high. If you still feel unwell be prepared to go to A&E as it's always possible that you have ketones thru very high blood sugar and this is serious. I don't want to scare you as it could just be a virus, but the meter will help guide you. Are you overweight and/or quite young?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tara, given the history you write of and your recent diagnosis I think you should err on the safe side. If you have a glucose meter then check
It may just be a virus but If you are still feeling really bad then at the least call NHS direct for advice

Tar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Morning, I thought it sounded like a hypo. I carry a glucose meter and it was 5.5 mmols???!!!
I don't understand as all my sugars levels tested are around 5-7mmols but my HbC1a?? Was 78!!!

This morning I have woken up feeling like someone is sitting on my chest p, so maybe coming down with a chest infection?

Are we more susceptible to infections as I have only just got over the flu!!

Thank you x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Morning, I thought it sounded like a hypo. I carry a glucose meter and it was 5.5 mmols???!!!
I don't understand as all my sugars levels tested are around 5-7mmols but my HbC1a?? Was 78!!!

This morning I have woken up feeling like someone is sitting on my chest p, so maybe coming down with a chest infection?

Are we more susceptible to infections as I have only just got over the flu!!

Thank you x

If 5.5 is a lot lower than your normal levels then it may cause hypo like symptoms.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TAR811, if I were you I would either see your doctor or pop into A&E as something isn't right, and I don't like the heavy feeling on your chest feeling. If it's nothing to worry about then it will put your mind at rest.

Off topic - I like your dogs, I have 2 of those, a B&T and a Blenheim :).

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
How are you feeling now? have you seen anyone?

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
It sounds like dehydration, please make sure you drink plenty of water.

Anyone else get a headache with a hypo? No?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Tar811

As you appear to have an adverse reaction to a newly prescribed drug , in your case metformin, in your shoes I would stop taking the drug and see my doctor immediately or even go to accident and emergency.

The one known risk with metformin, other than the often encountered side effect of gastrointestinal upsets, is that in extremely rare cases it can cause lactic acidosis

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acidosis

It is probably extremely unlikely that this is what we are dealing with here, but it is always best to be safe.

So please do not panic but do seek immediate medical advise.

Pavlos