Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok been diagnosed 2 years now, had numerous hypos, fortunately always been hypo aware except on 2 occasions.

First time - skiing, high altitude, didn't have a clue, had a couple of hypos, was nice though not to feel ill !

Second time - am down with a stomach bug so haven't been able to eat much except very bland food, today I got up from sleep to discover I was having a hypo but didn't feel ill, had to force some food down as really haven't got the appetite, but that made me want to question if anyone else has experienced the same ?

Apart from not being hypo aware has anyone else suffered a hypo without realising it ?

Reactions: 2 people

June79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Often when I've been poorly I've misread my warning signs as the illness. Other times I've had wsrning signs but not realised cause they've been different to what I normally get.
My warnings used to be the tip of my nose used to go numb, I'd get pins and needles everywhere and I used to get the sweats. Now night time lows my arms go numb (strange as it sound I also dream about food) and thats it. Day time ones unfortunately I have to say I get impatient and snappy and I get blotches in my vision and I yawn alot.

My warnings seem to change like the wind so I have to be aware not so much what I'm used to as whats new if that makes sense...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
I've found a good way to determine if I'm having a hypo is to take my resting heart rate, if it's elevated then it's likely I'm having one. Of course this doesn't apply during a workout or when I'm busy/sick but when you're just lounging around its pretty effective.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also am mostly hypo aware but there have been occassions when i have tested and i am in the low 2's and feel perfectly normal. I always treat my hypo's with lucuzade. Its fastest and easiest way of treating the hypo. Or if youre sick and dont wish to eat..... try using the Tiny bottle of Gluco Juice. Its 60ml and is 15grams of glucose.
The bottle is so small and I always have one in my bag for an emergency. Can buy it at boots.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks omnipod that sounds much better than glucogel which makes me feel even more ill !!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Glucojuice is very good and tastes ok, and good sized-so not tempted to drink more.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I frequently go below 4.0 while exercising, and when most of the symptoms of a hypo are the same as the symptoms of running etc, then yes, I've had several examples of hypos not being felt, or more accurately being masked.

A

AnnieC

I have read a lot about people having hypos so Is it inevitable that T1's will have them. I know T2's should not have them
My son a late onset T1 at age 47 was told by his HCP that he should never have hypos if he was sensible with his insulin regime and to never let his BS get to low she said hypos are the diabetics own fault

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's ********. The only way to avoid hypos (in my view) is to be running with a BG that is high enough to risk long term complications. If you want to achieve tight control, then a risk of hypos comes along with that, as even with the best knowledge adn techniques available, the complexity of allthe interactions in the human body adn external influences can upset the balance from day to day.

i.e. what worked yesterday may not apply today in the same way.

It comes down to which risk you prefer, the occaisional manageable hypo, or bits falling off and going blind?

Reactions: 10 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read a lot about people having hypos so Is it inevitable that T1's will have them. I know T2's should not have them
My son a late onset T1 at age 47 was told by his HCP that he should never have hypos if he was sensible with his insulin regime and to never let his BS get to low she said hypos are the diabetics own fault
What makes you think that type 2 shouldn't get hypos? If other people with different types of diabetes don't know all the facts then how are people with out diabetes meant to understand about diabetes TYPE2 DO HAVE HYPO'S

Sent from my iPad

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was told by the hospital that if a T1 wasn't having at least the odd hypo they would be looking at whether or not they were Diabetic and perhaps had something else.

A

AnnieC

ei
What makes you think that type 2 shouldn't get hypos? If other people with different types of diabetes don't know all the facts then how are people with out diabetes meant to understand about diabetes TYPE2 DO HAVE HYPO'S

Sent from my iPad
I have read that HCP's say T2's will not have hypos because their BS will never fall low enough for that

A

AnnieC

I was told by the hospital that if a T1 wasn't having at least the odd hypo they would be looking at whether or not they were Diabetic and perhaps had something else.
But surely aren't hypos bad for you should they not be avoided if possible isn't really low BS as bad as really high

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Who ever wrote this info is wrong, I am type2 and have had many hypos, and nearly all my medication can cause hypo's that is why I lost my licence and subsequently lost my job due to my risk of having a hypo I take novomix30 and Victoza and if I'm not mistaken is enough to send any diabetic in to hypo. It isn't all about control all the time it can be down to types of medication

Sent from my iPad

A

AnnieC

But surely aren't hypos bad for you should they not be avoided if possible isn't really low BS as bad as really high
ei
I have read that HCP's say T2's will not have hypos because their BS will never fall low enough for that
Just my point on another thread what information do we take as being right when there is so much difference in what we hear and read which can we believe

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just my point on another thread what information do we take as being right when there is so much difference in what we hear and read which can we believe
I agree with you on this and it would be better if everyone was better educated about things

Sent from my iPad

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Of course hypos and low BS are also bad but there are always going to be factors which mean you end up having them when you've got better control.

Nobody ever likes having either Low BS or High BS but it is very likely to happen.

I used to go months without any hypos in my first year of diagnosis but was frequently high, sometimes days without being out of double figures.

Now i'm a bit better controlled but usually have a few hypos every week.

There is usually an explanation to these which is all to do with learning. When I was first diagnosed the Dr on the general admissions ward gave me a piece of advice to make sure you educate yourself as much as possible with diabetes which is what I try to do.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I was told a few years ago that there was on-going research into the effects of long-term hypo's on the brain, I kept meaning to ask what the outcome was but the Endo that told me this has since moved on, personally I try and avoid them wherever possible and not run bg too tight.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I do generally only have one hypo a week, but after you've done your carb count accurately and eaten your meal as you should do - then a few hours later do some gardening or a shop at the supermarket, or attend a meeting which runs over it's quite easy to have a hypo. Also when you're ill and your body isn't digesting food at the same pace or too quickly, hot weather, excess exercise - the list goes on.

I don't feel though it's a fair comment to say it's a diabetic's fault though for any of these reasons.

Reactions: 5 people
A

AnnieC

Who ever wrote this info is wrong, I am type2 and have had many hypos, and nearly all my medication can cause hypo's that is why I lost my licence and subsequently lost my job due to my risk of having a hypo I take novomix30 and Victoza and if I'm not mistaken is enough to send any diabetic in to hypo. It isn't all about control all the time it can be down to types of medication

Sent from my iPad
Why do they give you medication that causes hypos
I do generally only have one hypo a week, but after you've done your carb count accurately and eaten your meal as you should do - then a few hours later do some gardening or a shop at the supermarket, or attend a meeting which runs over it's quite easy to have a hypo. Also when you're ill and your body isn't digesting food at the same pace or too quickly, hot weather, excess exercise - the list goes on.

I don't feel though it's a fair comment to say it's a diabetic's fault though for any of these reasons.
It was not me that said it it was a doctor