Favourite Meter?

planehazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate using normal meters where you have to carry a whole kit around. I currently (and have had for about 6 years) use a couple of Accu-chek compact + with the 17 strip drum. I just leave the lancet attached, turn it on and prick my finger. Dead convenient... Trouble now is that you can't get the machines in boots, but I have no problem getting the barrells/lancets on prescription.

So what do you use?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You might want to try the Accu-Chek Mobile (google) if you like everything to be compact, the downside is that the cassettes for the meter are expensive which will be a problem if you have to buy your own.

I currently use the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert which is a bolus delivery advisor, before that I used the Bayer Contour USB Next which is a great little meter and plugs straight into your USB port of your laptop so you can download your results, before that I always used Accu-Chek meters and the last one was the Aviva Nano.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I mostly use Betachek Visual or Glucoflex-R, visually read strips. (http://www.betachek.com/uk/)

I mostly don't need to use a meter at all.

But if I do need to take the One-Touch Ultra meter out with me, all I need in addition is the small pot of sticks; and I put a lancet inside it. I don't carry a flaming 'purse' around.

Last edited by a moderator:

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hate using normal meters where you have to carry a whole kit around. I currently (and have had for about 6 years) use a couple of Accu-chek compact + with the 17 strip drum. I just leave the lancet attached, turn it on and prick my finger. Dead convenient... Trouble now is that you can't get the machines in boots, but I have no problem getting the barrells/lancets on prescription.

So what do you use?
I have used a site called Chemistdirect before and they have a pretty good stock list. If it's still made they will probably have it. It's worth trying them if you really like that particular machine

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
my favourite is one touch verio iq:) i also have a one touch ultra easy too as its very small

planehazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. The accu chek mobile is the one I was looking at but I had little luck with the GP/NHS finding out if I could get the strips on prescription. The aviva looks handy, but unless I have to, I'll never go back to a device where I have to manually load a test strip. Sounds like I'm being lazy, but my pockets are already full of insulin, glucose tablets, keys, phone, wallet etc. Nightmare in the summer where I don't want a jacket.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i like the aviva expert but is a bit large, so sometimes i carry the aviva nano

i have tried many meters over the last few years, and find the bayer contour next, and the next usb to be very good.

BGstar i liked as could be synced to the iPhone, (no accuracy problems for me)

Abbott insulinx was one of the worst of the meters I've used
the very worst meter i used was the mendor discreet

for something a bit different the my life purr x (best lancet device i have used)

thing i have found, is you can contact most suppliers and they will send you a meter and some strips, you can try it out, and see what suits you the most, i don't like the combined units as they save no space for me, as i have a bag with needles and pens and dextrose etc, so a meter and lancet that fits in the bag is all i need

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
For me I love my nano and the expert .
If go out to a pub,show,concert,theatre even in car at night .
The larger illuminated numbers on the nano are a great help.
Plus its neat small and compact -great for in my handbag too .

For data and ranges help the expert excells with.
Stored data for days,weeks,months of time.
Ideal to see patterns, ranges look back at these .
Great for me on a MDI regime/routine .

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I've just got the new Bayer Contour next.. The new black one. It's good

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type1Jim

I have had the chance to try many over the last few years as companies tend to send them out FOC.

I use the glucomen lxplus at the moment as it measures glucose and ketones and needs only a small amount of blood

The contour usb is ok and small.

The worst would be the abbott insulinx.

Almost all meters are better than the one I started with 20 years ago though.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Was on the Wavesense Jazz which was OK but use Glucomen LX now as my DSN informed me it's important to have a meter that can test for Ketones now as the sticks are no longer recommended as inaccurate.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was on the Wavesense Jazz which was OK but use Glucomen LX now as my DSN informed me it's important to have a meter that can test for Ketones now as the sticks are no longer recommended as inaccurate.
I have tried a lot of meters and that is one of the best meters I tried

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I have tried a lot of meters and that is one of the best meters I tried

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,
The Jazz or the Glucomen ?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to try the Accu-Chek Mobile (google) if you like everything to be compact, the downside is that the cassettes for the meter are expensive which will be a problem if you have to buy your own.

I currently use the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert which is a bolus delivery advisor, before that I used the Bayer Contour USB Next which is a great little meter and plugs straight into your USB port of your laptop so you can download your results, before that I always used Accu-Chek meters and the last one was the Aviva Nano.
I got hold of the AcuChek mobile to use during exercise, thought it would be much easier

Bloody thing was useless, would only read about 1 in 3 samples and gave me results that seemed nowhere near those of my Glucomen LX.

I now have a second one of those and have perfected the art of taking a samle while slowing from a run to a walk, the only thing I need to aactually stop for is getting the blood onto the strip.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I got hold of the AcuChek mobile to use during exercise, thought it would be much easier

Bloody thing was useless, would only read about 1 in 3 samples and gave me results that seemed nowhere near those of my Glucomen LX.

I now have a second one of those and have perfected the art of taking a samle while slowing from a run to a walk, the only thing I need to aactually stop for is getting the blood onto the strip.

TBH I couldn't get away with the Accu-Chek Mobile, found it to big and fiddly to work, I think the newer version of the meter are much smaller than the original so it's probably much improved, pleased you've mastered the art of testing whilst out on a run :)