Lack of concentration/focus...is this diabetes related?

MattiesMum

Hello everyone.
My son ,Matthew,is nearly 8 years old and has had t1 diabetes since he was 3 1/2 years old.
He is generally well but does have ups and downs with his blood sugar levels.
He has a problem especially doing school work at home and at school where he really lacks focus on what he is doing. He has a real problem with getting things down on paper as he can't keep his focus on what he wants to write and also his teacher says that sometimes he doesn't get much work done in class as she finds him sat not doing his work at all as he seems to be in a complete daze(goodness knows how long he sits like this until someone notices), he has had his blood sugar checked when he is like this but it is usually fine.
This is something that was brought up by another teacher a couple of years ago but it seems to be an issue again. :O(
Is this something other parents have experienced or is it just a matthew thing?....

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I'll bump your post up in the hope that other parents will respond.
Take care.

CC.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello, I'm not a child but I am a uni student and I find that I lose concentration verrrrrry easily! Even if my bloods are fine I get very tired and unfocused.... I'm entirely sure if it's diabetes related but I thought I'd share!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jackie21123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya, we've had this with my daughter, loses concentration and is getting to the point were she starts to cry and say she stupid, her levels when.checked are usually ok, they starting to.think she might have asd.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

OConnell

Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, When I saw your post I had to respond because I have the exact same issue with my son who was diagnosed at 4 and is now a couple of months from being 8 years old! He says my favourite word is 'concentration'. He never really has any problems with his T1 diabetes and his school work isn't suffering at all but the teachers always mention that it is one area he could improve on. Even at home he hears what you tell him to do but its forgotten in an instant as he goes off into dreamworld and forgets what he's supposed to do. It can sometimes take him anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to eat his evening meal just because he doesnt concentrate(there I go again!) and get it done. Its so hard sometimes not to get exasperated with him. I've never mentioned it to his doctor or diabetic nurse as I've always thought that with a bit of patience,guidance and time he will improve. But as time goes on I do wonder.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im not a child but I have the same problem. Lack of concentration and forgetting things constantly (switching off the oven or where I put things, really annoying). I was diagnosed 3 years ago and im sure it started after diagnosis (I noticed about 1.5 years ago). Im going to speak to my consultant on my next visit in hospital. I have a feeling its a insulin side effect. Ive looked for some researched papers on internet but haven't found anything

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have either of them been tested for coeliac disease? I used to be exactly the same pre going on a gluten free diet.

alanywiseman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had poor control for a few years (tyring to wrestle it back now) but I have found there is a massive change in my concentration, memory and mood. With uncontrolled levels I am VERY forgetful, I lack concentration and my mood can be volitile. I understand that you are saying his BS is fine but is it worse at certain points of the day i.e. post meal when he might have a spike?

Reactions: 2 people
I have had poor control for a few years (tyring to wrestle it back now) but I have found there is a massive change in my concentration, memory and mood. With uncontrolled levels I am VERY forgetful, I lack concentration and my mood can be volitile. I understand that you are saying his BS is fine but is it worse at certain points of the day i.e. post meal when he might have a spike?
Hello
Your volatility is as you say due to hyperglycaemia but often out there only hypoglycaemia is accepted as a cause of volatility. -- so caution needed
Also for the little boy hyperglycaemia causes blood vessel vasoconstriction reducing brain blood supply -but not in the skin Over a lifetime it may be the cause of increased dementia noted in some diabetics . On the good side I find fellow diabetics generally passive kind understanding people if in a loving environment but get frustrated if not. - diabetics need to be aware of this and avoid unloving negative or harmful relationships.

jo78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Always had this with my daughter, I really do think even slight fluctuations in bloods, effects the brain.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yep , same here :( , but getting better with better control :)