Type 1, Giving up.

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Basically I lost 2 stone last year, partly due to insulin neglect and the other to a low carb diet and exercising properly.
However recently I have gained half a stone and counting in the past 3 months. I was on the implant and changed pills numerous contraceptive pills which made my sugars go mad. I was doing so well and control was tight but now I really can't be bothered. I will say I diet, eat well for two meals then snack like there is no tomorrow!

What also makes me sad is that I'm only 20 and it sucks that the only thing I think about constantly is food/weight.

Anyone got any Type 1 diabetic weight loss tips/can help me get motivated again.

Many thanks

Charlotte

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
OK, you've lost 2 stone but so far only put 1/2 stone back on so all is not lost. Stop dwelling on the past and try to make a new start, 1 day at a time. Low carb and exercise worked before so we know it works right ? So, let's give it another try. The best advice/tips I can give is that there is no easy route. It takes willpower and effort but the results are lifelong. Hope you get back on track soon :)

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Hi Charlotte, I'm sorry that you've been diagnosed with T1 so young. As you say, sometimes it sucks having to think of nothing but food and weight and how to control your blood sugar level. Life isn't fair sometimes, but life is. (full stop)... there is nothing you can do except take what you have got and try to make the best of it.

I am only prediabetic but have delayed doing something about it for years, snacking as if there is a famine announced (especially sweet things); knowing full well that it's bad for me.

When I joined (still pretty much in denial) one of the best advise I got was to go online and google foot amputations. This is one of the horrendous long term things that can happen if we don't control our blood sugar levels. My mother went blind, and had gangrene (because of diabetes).

If you feel life sucks and you can't be bothered with sticking to a diet and controlling your blood sugar levels, google foot amputations and it may be easier if you see just what can happen if you do not change the way you eat/live.

Since seeing the images I have had no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. My BG levels have gone down as has my weight.

The proverbial 'kick up the backside' I got with the recommendation to look at long term effects of diabetes helped me a lot, even though I resented it initially.

Good luck, Charlotte.

AngelaY

I feel the same :( I was diagnosed at 15. And weight was always my problem since I am still young
Trying to be as beautiful as the girls on the magazines....so all 3 years in high school I suffered from
Diabulimia which is diabetics that doesn't take their insulin in order to lose weight.
Almost died for 5 times... But didn't really care until senior year when I start to do low carb diet and exercise daily. Lost almost 13 lbs. I was so happy, but with college now so
Much work and so stressed. That I snack like whatever at night :( and I'm gaining the weight back. Although I don't know if it's muscle weight or not since I try to go to gym everyday... But it would really help if someone can give me tips on what to do when I tend to do unneeded snacks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App