Hypo Unawareness

chalky

Good Afternoon,
Just a general question out of interest, if you lose your hypo awareness, how long does it normally take to get it back?

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Nighttime where I am :). For me it took in between a week and fortnight when sorted out my frequent hypoing.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
It depends, but usually a week to 2 weeks, but that isn't always the case. Just run your bloods a bit higher for a week and you should see an improvement. But hypo unawareness can also take longer to overcome dependant on how long you have been diabetic.

iHs

I sould say about 2 months but vrry often once control goes back to being tighter, then the awareness goes back to how it was So be tight enough to avoid complications but not to the point where awareness starts to be a problem

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much as iHs says, a figure of several weeks would be more realistic in restoring hypo awareness symptoms.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When my consultant talks about raising levels to make sure hypo awareness stays she says raise levels for 6-8 weeks... So I agree with iHs.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with iHs, Donnellysdogs and Noblehead. It will take a good 6 - 8 weeks. Also be aware that if your control is too tight, you will end up where you started.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN says that once hypo awareness goes, it doesn't come back. This is one of the reasons I don't see fully eye to eye with my DSN.

Reactions: 2 people