How many carbs??

sammy1998

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, any idea how many carbs I should be having a day if I want to stick to a low carb diet? I only have bread about once a week now and I've never really been into pasta or rice, thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, this really is an impossible question to answer by anyone but your meter (assuming you use one) some say 150g some 100 50 30 25 lol its how many can you eat before your bloods get out of control, and then theres the method you go down, do you drop straight down to 25/30g and test your way back up? getting good bloods fast but risking atkins flu and feeling ****** for a while? or start at 150g and test your way down? this isnt easy as you may have to be patient with this method because the bg reduction can take time at each carb reduction stage

i did the latter and went down slowly as i believed 30g to be impossible for me but now i see it as easy to achieve id probly go low straight off if i were to start again, i also believe theres no "too low"

sorry if this is a non answer

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Andy. There is no one right approach but I went for a daily limit of 150gm and went below this when struggling with just tablets. With insulin you can free-up a bit but I still stay near 150gm most days. If necessary go down below 150'ish and see what the meter does. If you need to stay below, say, 100gm to hold blood sugar then you may need more meds but you could chose to keep at a low level.